Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 06:44 AM   #11
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I have had all sorts of experiences like that Regin, but never usually that bad. I have woken up making a drink in the kitchen... having a shower at 2am... or simply walking around the hallways scaring the crap out of the other people in my hall of residence.

Once I woke up naked, but I had gone to sleep with clothes on. I looked everywhere in my room (its not that big!) and couldn't find them. My door was still locked, and I couldn't see them out the window. To this day I don't know where the clothes went. That scared me, but there probably isn't much I can do about it really.

Freaky
The worst thing is when (this happens to me alot) you wake up in the middle of the night, and your quilt is gone! So I check my room, and when it isn't there (it usually isn't) I go out to the "living-room" which I share with my room-mates, and look, and mostly it's there, but there have been times when I have found itin one of my room-mates' room..
Those things can really freak you out, who knows what the hell you've been doing in there! [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2002, 07:12 AM   #12
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

Freaky
The worst thing is when (this happens to me alot) you wake up in the middle of the night, and your quilt is gone! So I check my room, and when it isn't there (it usually isn't) I go out to the "living-room" which I share with my room-mates, and look, and mostly it's there, but there have been times when I have found itin one of my room-mates' room..
Those things can really freak you out, who knows what the hell you've been doing in there! [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

2 years ago I went on a politics conference in Washington for a week. I had to share a hotel room with 3 other guys (one from New Jersey, one from Puerto Rico, and one from Guatemala, sp?). The problem was that I had to share a bed with the guy from NJ. On the first night:

I got out of the bed. I walked around the room. I shouted stuff. I shouted at myself in the mirror. I punched the wall repeatedly.

On the second night:

I kicked him out of the bed. I physically pushed him out of it and wouldn't let him back in. I slept diagonally to stop him getting back into bed apparently.

On the third night:

I slept on the floor.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #13
Epona
Zartan

I suffer from night terrors which means part of my brain has too much activity at certain times when I am asleep. These cause me to wake up and hallucinate - fully awake but as if dreaming. I often yell or talk nonsense, usually I am scared rigid, sometimes with full body paralysis, other times I leap out of bed and run. This is usually brought on by stress, fatigue, alcohol etc. (think of it as similar to epilepsy but only a certain part of your brain dealing with sensory input is affected). These are different from nightmares, which of course I also have sometimes just like most people!

Also when sleeping normally I often have vivid dreams, and have both talked and walked in my sleep often. Usually when I talk in my sleep it is complete nonsense.

Ronn, what about sleeping in front of the TV? Sounds like a good way to keep your brain exercised!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I suffer from night terrors which means part of my brain has too much activity at certain times when I am asleep. These cause me to wake up and hallucinate - fully awake but as if dreaming. I often yell or talk nonsense, usually I am scared rigid, sometimes with full body paralysis, other times I leap out of bed and run. This is usually brought on by stress, fatigue, alcohol etc. (think of it as similar to epilepsy but only a certain part of your brain dealing with sensory input is affected). These are different from nightmares, which of course I also have sometimes just like most people!

Also when sleeping normally I often have vivid dreams, and have both talked and walked in my sleep often. Usually when I talk in my sleep it is complete nonsense.

Ronn, what about sleeping in front of the TV? Sounds like a good way to keep your brain exercised!! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Epona, that sounds alot like what I do , with the exception that I'm never paralysed. I've often described it as physically waking up, without doing so mentally. Only as I become aware of my surroundings do I begin to snap out of it. I frequently think to myself, "you know this isn't real", but I can't make it stop. So weird to hear your description and find it so accurate.

The stress, fatigue and alcohol hit the mark exactly, too. Everytime I have a bit to drink, I at least talk in my sleep.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:47 AM   #15
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

Epona, that sounds alot like what I do , with the exception that I'm never paralysed. I've often described it as physically waking up, without doing so mentally. Only as I become aware of my surroundings do I begin to snap out of it. I frequently think to myself, "you know this isn't real", but I can't make it stop. So weird to hear your description and find it so accurate.

The stress, fatigue and alcohol hit the mark exactly, too. Everytime I have a bit to drink, I at least talk in my sleep.

It sounds as if you are describing something similar. About 1% of adults get this. I found a good website about Night Terrors which is very interesting -

http://www.nightterrors.org

The main physiological differences between nightmares and night-terrors are that nightmares only occur during REM sleep, whereas NTs occur before REM (about 15minutes - 1 hour after falling asleep) and that in NTs the heart-rate is greatly elevated, whereas in a nightmare it remains relatively normal.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Epona ]

Old 03-01-2002, 07:10 AM   #16
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don't have that, but often when I dream I'm in a different fantasy world and I'm doing a particular thing, but when I wake up I'm not sure what.
I don't mean like a quest in BG2, it seems like I'm dreaming up a fantasy story.