Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2001, 05:45 PM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

This is what happened:

1.- I insterted CD1 selected full install, installation started
2.- It asked me for CD2, i inserted it but the computer froze.
3.- I rebooted my computer, but when i inserted CD1 the install option was greyed out.
4.- I tried to uninstall, but it said that the required ISU file with the installation settings cant be found.

So now i cant nor install nor uninstall. What can i do ??

THANKS !!

------------------
"I´ve been captured... and I don´t care" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 07:26 AM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I think you will have to go through and manually remove anything that was installed. I have read some posts about the same kind of thing and have noticed that uninstalling HoW doesn't uninstall IWD. In fact you can not uninstall IWD with out doing it manually in my experience. I haven't noticed that they have bothered to fix this "bug" either. Of course this could just be a quirk of my machine.

------------------

The line between good and evil is a razor sharp thing. Be careful of misteps,
as you may find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 10:14 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah...Add/remove programs is the only way to clear everything out sometimes.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 05:00 PM   #4
DragonAscending
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You may be installing on a computer where the CD-ROM is designated CD1. This confuses the game. If when you boot, the CD-ROM designation shows as CD1, you need to change the designation of the CD-ROM in the autoexec.bat and config.sys to CD01 (CD zero one) this should allow you to install the game. I had this same problem with Baldur's Gate II. Changing the designation of the ROM drive does not mess up your system as it IS simply a designation. This is a typical problem with Gateway computers, which is why they don't mention it in the installation section. I would think they could insert an extra sheet of paper in the games to address the problem since not everyone owns a computer with the designation that will allow installation.
DragonAscending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 06:42 PM   #5
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Yeah...Add/remove programs is the only way to clear everything out sometimes.

thing is with this problem, when using add/remove, it can't find the necessary file to do the uninstall...."isu" is just gone. that's why ertai is stuck.

this has happened to me about 5 times, with all the bg games and with iwd, post- and pre-how. in my case, uninstalling iwd before how messed everything up royally. but on a whim, later i unistalled how and i found, except for a few reg keys, it did remove both from my game.

anyway, ertai, i had to go thru and manually search for all the files and dump them. then go thru the registry, doing the same thing. only then, could i get an active install button again.

sorry ertai! but i think it's time to hit regedit.

hi dragonascending! that's a great tip. unfortunately for my homebuilt, that wasn't the problem. altho, we had gateways at work, and, that was indeed the source of headaches. took our tech guy a week to figger it out, too. *LOL*

V***V

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 07-02-2001).]
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote