Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
vicster5
Welcomed New User

Hi folks

I'm stuck on the Balor from the pit in the Svirfneblin Town.
I've got 3+ drow weapons but he keeps whipping my butt and resists magic.

Any tips on how to defeat this demon would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
~vicster5
vicster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Don't use magic on him. Instead, buff your own characters up. Improved Haste, Haste, Chant, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Remove Fear, Free Action (especially since he likes to stun characters)...also have your cleric(s) memorize Remove Paralysis just in case.

+3 weapons should be enough. Just start whaling on him, he should drop. Remember to use the scoll of stoneshape after he dies.

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 05:30 PM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Alternativly, you can get one hell of a lot of summoned creatures up (most powerful ones first)as a kind of fodder to keep it occupied then have your mages all cast lower magic resistance on it. When they've done that, they can (and this was VERY funny) magic missile it to death.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:36 PM   #4
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

I found that turning into the slayer works.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:42 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Skeleton Warriors are a Balor's bane... being 95% magic resistant and all that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hasted Mountain Bears/Aerial Servants/Fire Elementals kick his a** around too, if you remember to cast Free Action on them.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:59 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Casting haste before summoning it worked for me... keep atleast one character back a bit, with either a ranged weapon or Chromatic Orbs; and attack with everything you`ve got
If youget realy desperate, and you have a mage level 16-17; fill a spell trigger/sequencer with lower resistance and/or pierce magic. Fire it at the Balor first thing; get everyone but that mage up whacking it so it doesn`t attack the mage; and have your mage cast disintegrate. It doesn`t drop any treasure anyway, so you can risk the loss [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:31 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

This demon needs +3 weapons. If you do not have enough of them then use Enchanted Weapon spell. It seems to be unable of dispelling magic, therefore, Greenstone Amulets pickpocketed from the Mordekainen Swords will solve problems with stunning. Cast Chaotic Commands and Remove Fear, equip the amulets and beat it, beat it, beat it...
Old 07-23-2002, 09:30 AM   #8
Shadowfax
Dungeon Master

Here's what I did. Before I summoned him, I cast all sorts of spells on myself... protection from evil, haste, protection from petrification etc., then I summoned him, keeping one spell caster back, who summoned all sorts of monsters (Nurusshu (sp?) monster summoning III, invisible stalker etc.) I let him attack one person while the rest kept attacking him, then when they got badly hurt, I pulled them out and let him attack another person. The person who got pulled out heals, then goes back in. ^_^ Hope that helps.
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #9
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Did this scene of the game remind anyone else of the Balrog from Moria in Fellowship of the Ring?
Old 07-23-2002, 05:23 PM   #10
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
Did this scene of the game remind anyone else of the Balrog from Moria in Fellowship of the Ring?
Not exactly. The Balrog was way cooler.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote