Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2002, 01:28 PM   #41
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

The thing about Janus though is that he has only two heads, right (the dual god)? One to look back and one to look forward (but how does he keep an eye on the present then? LOL) Strange, because you'd expect him to have three.

Oh NUTS well that scotches that theory - of course he has 2 heads, damn I have started looking for threes where they don't exist. [img]tongue.gif[/img] You have such a good memory, I always should remember to check my facts because my memory for detail is appalling! I predict that will see 3 buses coming along the road when I leave tonight - and guess what, not a single one will the the 77a which is the one I need...
Old 01-29-2002, 01:32 PM   #42
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Well I hope someone else will be able to help out because my bible knowledge is very poor!
The short answer is no, there were no gathered writings. I think this is because the Bible serves a particular purpose in a particular style of worship - whereas the Greeks and Romans did not worship their gods. I know more about the Romans, who viewed the relationship with deities a bit like a contract - if you do this for me, I'll sacrifice some wine for you - and then both sides of the deal would be met - they did not kneel down and pray to their gods, nor did they try to convert anyone - it was not a religion in the same way that Christianity is a religion. It was very personal, and there were no morals binding people together based in the religion - morals were social rather than religious. Hence there was no need for collected stories and teachings to unite people under the same banner and with similar ways of worship.

There were of course plenty of stories about gods, many of them were humerous, and these would have been told orally by poets and storytellers. Some of these very early Greek stories were written down, and are attributed to the lyric poets Hesiod and Theognis of Megara (Works and Days) - but they are poems, not a code by which to live your life or worship your gods. Theognis also wrote political lyric poetry. Another way of depicting stories involving gods was in art - sculpture in temples was a way of telling a story about both gods and history, with depictions of mythological and firmly historical events - but again, this is not a code for worship in the same way that the bible is.

A most satisfactory answer! Thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]
You are a very interesting person Epona!
Old 01-29-2002, 01:32 PM   #43
Lord Shield

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Oh NUTS well that scotches that theory - of course he has 2 heads, damn I have started looking for threes where they don't exist. [img]tongue.gif[/img] You have such a good memory, I always should remember to check my facts because my memory for detail is appalling! I predict that will see 3 buses coming along the road when I leave tonight - and guess what, not a single one will the the 77a which is the one I need...

I thought he had 2 FACES rather than 2 heads but I could be wrong

I bet Geryon got charged a lot for haircuts though

Old 01-29-2002, 01:39 PM   #44
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:

I thought he had 2 FACES rather than 2 heads but I could be wrong

I bet Geryon got charged a lot for haircuts though

You're right, he is depicted en profile with on face looking right and one left.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #45
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

Why, thank you!
A bit garbled though, trying to type fast to fit it in before I leave work for the day!
Old 01-29-2002, 01:42 PM   #46
Lord Shield

Similar to the Indian Knowledge God Brahma. He had 4 arms and 4 heads facing different directions apparently where his daughter, Satarupa tried to circle him to (unsuccessfully) avoid his incestuous intent

Why he couldn't just turn around I'll never know [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2002, 01:56 PM   #47
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

Why, thank you!
A bit garbled though, trying to type fast to fit it in before I leave work for the day!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #48
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok since the subject of 3s was brought up, we mayaswell mention all of the places where 3 occured in Classical Mythology...
  • 3 Fates
  • 3 Graces
  • 3 Gorgons
  • 3 of the people who protected the Gorgons... cant remember who they were
  • 3 things given to the Guy who killed Medusa- Shield From Athena(minerva), Winged Sandles From Hermies (Mercury), and I cant remember the 3rd... I think it was from Zeus (Jupiter)
  • 3 simbles of Hermies (Mercury)- Winged Sandles, Winged Helmet(Greek Only), and the Caeticus (The Staff he got from Apollo)
  • Zeus had 3 wives... I can only remember Hera, and i think one of the others started with 'M'
  • 3 Golden Apples in the race (cant remember the people involved )
  • 3 Goddeses - Hera, Aprodite and Hestia (I think)- Arguing over the Golden apple Labled "For the Fairest"

Ofcourse there would be more... I cant remember EVERYTHING i once knew... I studied the paralells a couple of years ago, out of interest, and found out alot more besides!!

But I should remember more than that...

And Melusine, I know im NOT dislexic, I am going into year 10- school goes back for me tommorow- and I have always been able to read quite well... and infact it IS one of my hobbies. I often Lurk OUAP in the hope of finding a good read... and very rarely am I disapointed.

At the moment, In case your wondering, I am right near the End of LOTR- im up to book 5 (yes there are only 3 novels in there... for those who didnt know, each novel is 2 books long. Book 5 is the first Aproximate Half of the Return of the King.) I wont say exactly where im up to incase of spoiling anyone who hasnt yet read it.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:54 AM   #49
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Ok since the subject of 3s was brought up, we mayaswell mention all of the places where 3 occured in Classical Mythology...
  • 3 Fates
  • 3 Graces
  • 3 Gorgons
  • 3 things given to the Guy who killed Medusa- Shield From Athena(minerva), Winged Sandles From Hermies (Mercury), and I cant remember the 3rd... I think it was from Zeus (Jupiter)
  • 3 simbles of Hermies (Mercury)- Winged Sandles, Winged Helmet(Greek Only), and the Caeticus (The Staff he got from Apollo)
  • Zeus had 3 wives... I can only remember Hera, and i think one of the others started with 'M'
  • 3 Goddeses - Hera, Aprodite and Hestia (I think)- Arguing over the Golden apple Labled "For the Fairest"

Ofcourse there would be more... I cant remember EVERYTHING i once knew... I studied the paralells a couple of years ago, out of interest, and found out alot more besides!!

Excellent, you remembered loads! There is another big 3 in Christianity too of course - the Holy Trinity. I'll just bet there are others.
I have a pet theory-in-the-making about the development of number and the abstraction required to come up with the concept of counting objects - and wonder if somehow the concept of threeness is more abstract than the concept of oneness or twoness, and hence may be seen by early 'counters' as having magical properties - but then I stumble because I am neither a mathematician nor a philosopher, so as usual I manage to talk a load of crap! But it certainly does crop up a lot!
Old 01-31-2002, 01:56 PM   #50
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Ok since the subject of 3s was brought up, we may as well mention all of the places where 3 occured in Classical Mythology...
  • 3 Fates
  • 3 Graces
  • 3 Gorgons

Now, if I was going to be pedantic and nitpicky, I'd say, for instance, that the three goddesses were Hera, Pallas Athena and Aphrodite, or that Zeus had only two wives (Mentis being the first) in some accounts, or that Hermes is spelled thus, but..... naaaah I wouldn't do that [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

quote:
And Melusine, I know im NOT dislexic, I am going into year 10- school goes back for me tommorow- and I have always been able to read quite well... and infact it IS one of my hobbies. I often Lurk OUAP in the hope of finding a good read... and very rarely am I disapointed.

Duuuhhhhh Lennon!! READ before you POST!

YOU yourself said something like: "I might be dyslexic but I don't think so as I'm only fifteen."

I then pointed out that you were probably confusing two terms, namely dementia (most forms of which are only found in elderly people) and dyslexia (which can occur in children just fine).
I wasn't suggesting you were dyslexic ANYWHERE, rather I pointed out that it is wrong to assume it is unlikely you have dyslexia when you're 15.

EDIT: arrrrgh bloody html colours [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]