Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

Finally! I am not naymore alone here! There's a new member named THANATOS and he is from Greece!
Old 01-27-2002, 11:10 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

OMG!! That's so freaky!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Would you believe me if I said I just changed my password somewhere (not gonna say where, obviously) to Thanatos??? That is quite a coincidence..... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Gonna change it right away
Old 01-27-2002, 11:15 AM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

To what?

Honestly, some people are so distrustful sometimes

Old 01-27-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

quote:
OMG!! That's so freaky!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Would you believe me if I said I just changed my password somewhere (not gonna say where, obviously) to Thanatos??? That is quite a coincidence..... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Really? Did you knew that Thanatos (Θάνατος in Greek leters) means death in Greek? In my opinion this is freaky!
Old 01-27-2002, 11:30 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Byronas:

Really? Did you knew that Thanatos (Θάνατος in Greek leters) means death in Greek? In my opinion this is freaky!

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] Of course I do, you don't think I *accidentally* came up with your word for death, right? Doh...
But actually, I said Thanatos, capital T. So I meant the God of Death, not death.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:57 AM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] Of course I do, you don't think I *accidentally* came up with your word for death, right? Doh...
But actually, I said Thanatos, capital T. So I meant the God of Death, not death.

Again, I must say I'm impressed by your knowledge, Mel.

Happy for ya, Byronas!
But ofcourse, Norway is bigger in members... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

see ya!
Old 01-27-2002, 12:09 PM   #7
Lord Shield

Thanatos is a meaty God of Death. His name was used for an amusing game many years back where you play a dragon

I remember in that game you had to re-fuel your flames by chomping the staked woman - after you'd picked the defending knight off his horse and dropped him from a great height!

Old 01-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Thanatos is a meaty God of Death. His name was used for an amusing game many years back where you play a dragon

Well, what mythological figure hasn't been used for some stupid game or other at some point? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 12:26 PM   #9
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

Sorry Mel but I have to say that you are wrong! The name of the god of death is Ades. He was the king of the other world (something like Hell but much more cold). He was the brother of Zeus.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Byronas, believe me I know what I'm talking about. Hades, as it is spelled in English, is indeed the brother of Zeus, god of the Underworld and husband to Persephone, but Thanatos *is* the personification of Death and the God of Death as well.

Just like Selene is the (lesser) goddess of the moon (the one who rides the chariot of the moon during the night) while Artemis is also the goddess of the moon (and hunt, and chastity). The same goes for Apollo and Helios. Just like Aphrodite is the goddess of beauty and love, and yet Eros is the god of love as well.

There can be more than one, obviously. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: incidentally, as you probably know, Hades is not only the name of the God, but also of his residence. The underworld is also called Hades.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]