Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2001, 10:00 PM   #1
Gamma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm looking for a new RPG game. One that requires a bit of gray matter and isn't totally focused on a monster hunt. What's the best choice?

------------------
~Gamma
Old 10-24-2001, 12:18 AM   #2
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Arcanum might be good for you. You can solve the game without too much killing. Its pretty conversation heavy, if thats what you like. Pretty atmospheric too, there were times when I unconciously shivered from certain plotlines or events. If you want a game that lets you do pretty much whatever you please, try Planescape Torment if you can find a copy lying around. The Fallout series might also be a good bet. I think they're re-releasing Fallout 1 and 2.

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-24-2001, 02:14 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Yes, Planescape: Torment is pretty good. There are many ways to solve the puzzles and quests in there, from outright combat to more subtle ways. Your stats impact on your game too, for e.g. high WIS or INt gives you more dialogue choices.
There is no traditional "bad guy" at the end of the story, but... well you just have to play to find out.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:49 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Both games are good but Torment is by far my first choice.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.

Paladin of the order, first bodyguard of Lady Lioness and defender of Castle Kerhelm
Old 10-24-2001, 06:21 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

I'm enjoying Arcanum at the moment - I really like the character creation and development system it uses. You have to really think about how to spend your 'points' to best effect.
So I would recommend that (unless you have a Voodoo 2 graphics card).

Planescape Torment is also good as others have mentioned.

Fallout 1 & 2 are now available in one box as a budget title - I've never tried the original, but Fallout 2 is similar to Arcanum.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-24-2001, 06:29 AM   #6
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Ah Epona.. I see you've finally got your computer up and running Arcanum!
How far into the game are you?

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-24-2001, 06:41 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Ah Epona.. I see you've finally got your computer up and running Arcanum!
How far into the game are you?

Yes, finally! It is pretty damn fast too. I have a slight problem with data transfer from my DVD-ROM but have a few things to try at the weekend to get it working.

Alas I am not very far into Arcanum yet, as I am a chronic restarter. I have so far tried 5 characters, and finally have one that I am happy with. So far I've got to Derholm, and have 2 followers - rapidly upping my charisma so I can have another!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-24-2001, 08:19 AM   #8
Byronas

I would recommend Planescape Torment as the others said.

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-24-2001, 02:15 PM   #9
Gamma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I'm enjoying Arcanum at the moment - I really like the character creation and development system it uses. You have to really think about how to spend your 'points' to best effect.

Fallout 1 & 2 are now available in one box as a budget title - I've never tried the original, but Fallout 2 is similar to Arcanum.

Old 10-24-2001, 02:20 PM   #10
Gamma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

I'm curious as to your point with the Voodoo2 graphics controller ... It doesn't work with Arcanum? I have a Radeon DDR 32Mb in a Windows 2000 PC and an IOMagic TNT2 32Mb in a Windows 98 PC. Do you think they would cause any problems. It looks like a tossup between Fallout 2 and Aracanum. I'm going to take a look into them.

Thanks!

------------------
~Gamma