Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The situation was too rich to be savoured alone, and in any case, she could not have helped it. Out poured the torrents of anxiety that had half-strangled her. Mirthful tears ran unchecked down the apples of her cheeks as she took in the look of dismay of the young man.

“I don’t care if it’s true, my dear!” Chortling, she wiped away a wayward tear. “With such a crappy captain, I wouldn’t want to stay here for long.” Then lowering her voice, she hissed into his ear. “Besides, I don’t think I’d have survived a dangerous mission. This fake one is the perfect foil for me to have it easy, come back and report nothing, and get my butt kicked out.”

Drawing back slightly, she cocked her head sideways, eyeing him with concern. “But that’s not what you’re after, is it, my poor dearie? You want glory and tangible rewards.” Nodding, she spoke softly, this time to herself. “There was a time when I chased that foolish dream, too… let him find out for himself.”

Abruptly, she turned back to him and cleared her throat. “Now look here, whatever’s your name. We barely know each other, and if that blockhead of a captain had half the size of a pea for his brain, he’d have noticed that. You’re being dragged into this, because yours truly here doesn’t have even half the size of a pea for a brain, to mind her manners.” She paused, then looked him in the eye. “I’ll tell him to go to hell, but send you on a proper mission instead. How about that?”
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 AM   #12
Leafblade

"We got into this mess together and we'll get out of it the same." Determination set into his features as he started for the Captain. Coughing a little to grab the older man's attention, "Sir, uh... captain?" He had to keep squinting his eyes against the glare of the armor in front of him. Tarnik ignored him and continued talking with two rough looking men. Impatience got the better of him and he stepped in between them. "Excuse me... sir..."

The old captain's face remained placid as he looked at the young recruit. "Do you not have any manners at all boy?"

"Don't you worry cap'n, I'll take care of this runt." The larger of the two men Tarnik had been talking to advanced on the younger man.

Before he could move back, the mercenary threw a fist at him. The punch missed the target but managed to clip his ear. Blood slowly started to drip down the cut that had appeared from the larger man's gauntlet. Crying out in pain, the young recruit glared at the man in front of him, ready to recklessly charge at him.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The Village of Lomton

Like most of the younger generation, Jared had lived here his whole life. It was a settler's village, home to a wide variety of peoples who had all chosen to leave the larger towns and settle back closer to nature and a more simple way of life. True, it was close to the Marshes of Vankin, but the people learned to take care and not fall prey to the sicknesses that come with living so close to still waters.

For years there had been no troubles and nobody on the outside cared to bother them until only a few months ago, something began to cause alarm. It had started with the disappearance of a little girl, and then her mother that had spent so much time trying to find clues of her whereabouts. Some livestock too began to disappear, but that was not all. Sometimes at night, the animals would become extremely agitated for no apparent reason. It had been rumored that maybe there was a wolf or some kind of predator out there, and trappers were called in to see what they could do. Two trappers had gone missing and the rest had seen nothing. Even the Royal Guard had come to take a look on a number of occasions. Nothing was ever found. All went quiet for a short while and people began to think that the worry had passed until just last week.

Jared's mother had been out tending to a sick calf at the barn, and that was the last Jared had seen her. She never came back in, and when he went to look for her, she was not to be found.

The village mayor sent another plea for help and Captain Tarnik Orman was handed down the assignment to deal with this mystery.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #14
mistral4543

OOC: I do believe I've posted more than I've done over the past year, LOL.

Shaking her head, she sighed inwardly. Mental note, try to keep your mouth shut or if you really have to, count to ten before speaking. But this was no moment for soliloquy; the youngster would get his life beaten out of him if she stood by.

"'Ere, look here now." Clearing her throat, she threw a twisted smile at the captain. "He hasn't had the benefit of good manners, any one can see that. And no thanks to me, you've associated him with me." Her eyes roved up and down the blackguard's face. "I don't know him, okay? Don't take out on a boy... you were one, once." Turning to the mercenary, she spat at him. "Why don't you pick on someone your own size? You didn't even wait for your captain's orders... trying to usurp his position now, are we?"

A moment like this was decidedly not good. Not when one had spent the past years in dormant passivity, never even threw a punch into the air. But this crazy kid - the one who tugged at her heartstrings for some even crazier reason - was driving her into action.

At a moment like this, she knew that somehow their fates would be interlinked.

[ 06-14-2006, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 06-14-2006, 01:52 AM   #15
Leafblade

ooc: That's a good thing! [img]tongue.gif[/img] and thanks for joining us Larry. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tarnik shook his head and signed inwardly. Why do I always end up with some runt who thinks he can take on anything... Letting none of his inner thoughts show in his expression, the Captain waved the mercenary back. "I did not order you to hit the boy, nor did I say it was ok to interrupt me. Take care that both of you never do so again." He directed the last part at the blond young man. "Whatever you heard about the mission I gave you was not completely true. Yes, several mercenaries have gone down to inspect the area, but every time they return with no success. I have received word again that the village is having trouble. If the two of you are able to solve this riddle I may over look today." He tossed a map to the woman and walked away.

The young man's gray eyes tunneled holes into the mercenaries back as he walked away with the Captain. "I was just caught off guard..." He mumbled to himself. Sighing, he reached up to touch his ear. It throbbed badly and blood continued to drip and slide down his neck where it started to stain his tunic. Glancing over at the older woman, he gave her a sheepish smile. "Looks like we'll be partners on this mission. I'm Rehan."

[ 06-14-2006, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Leafblade ]
Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #16
mistral4543

She exhaled as the nuisance-infested group left finally. “Well, Rehan, that didn’t go too badly, did it?” Despite the chuckle she threw in carelessly, the immense relief on her face was obvious. And there was something about the captain’s last few words that redeemed him in her eyes… not that he’d care for her opinion, of course but… Oh, get a grip on yourself, woman! Don’t tell me your desperation for a male companion has reached new limits!

Flushing, she smiled at the youth weakly. “Yes, it looks like it. Eh, you look like a fledgling chicken to me.” Nodding to herself, she continued. “I don’t mean it as an insult, really. It’s just that you’re so… so…” she was struggling for the right words. “… so trusting.” The word came out as if it were a handicap. “That’s how you’ll end up being thumped and whacked without knowing why. It’s the impulse that’ll get you into trouble.”

The sober expression on her face suddenly cracked and she broke into her raspy laughter again. “What am I saying here? A veteran you’ll make me out to be, eh? But know what, dearie?” Another conspiratorial wink. “I haven’t learnt a single lesson myself. That’s what got us into this, isn’t it?” Giggling, she reached out to pat his shoulder comfortingly. “I can tell that we’re in for a hoot, already. You and me, we’ll get along fine. Let’s just hope the people we come across with share the same sentiments.”

As they began to gather their equipment for the journey ahead, she found herself whistling an old nameless tune. Then, as an afterthought, she called out to Rehan.

"Hey, don't think I'm deliberately mean or secretive or anything, but erm..." she gave him a wicked grin. "I haven't decided on my name for now."
Old 06-14-2006, 02:54 AM   #17
mistral4543

OOC: That was my last post for now, so you guys can go catch up on sleep And yes, thanks for being a sport in joining us, Larry! We won’t whallop you… for now [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #18
Leafblade

ooc: I'll probably be up for another hour or so. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Rehan nodded vaguely at the older woman while he tried to bandage his ear. Grumbling and several choice words could be heard as he became frustrated with it. The cut was along the side of his ear and he could think of no good way to keep the bandage on. He was just about to give up and bleed all over himself the rest of the day when he spotted his inspiration.

One of the mercenaries had received a head wound a few days ago while repairing the north end of the encampment. The bandaged wrapped around the poor man's head was the perfect idea. Placing the start of the cloth against the wound, he wrapped it around his head bandana style, careful to tuck it behind his uninjured ear so it wouldn't cover it, and then finished it off. The result was a lopsided bandaged that went diagonal across his forehead. Proud of his achievement to cover his wound, he made his way over to where his companion was getting supplies together.

[ 06-14-2006, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: Leafblade ]
Old 06-14-2006, 03:47 AM   #19
mistral4543

OOC: [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

She grunted approvingly as she glanced to view his handiwork with the bandages. Molly-coddling him was the last thing she would do, knowing how life dealt out its cards at the most unexpected times. I might not live that long, and then where would he be? It must be the age that was affecting her so… there was a bittersweet feeling to all this, that she would have scoffed at years ago.

And yet, was thirty such an old age to be at? They had laughed at her over at the tavern, just the night before. ”You, answering the call of the captain? What’re yer gonna do? Make tea for him?” ”Do yer need glasses to go with that?” ”Shouldn’t yer be at home with yer mister? Or is that the point of yer turnin’ up? I heard the guards are lookin’ for mistresses… but yer don’t quite fit the bill, honey.” ”You might have slain a dragon in your time for all I care, but frankly, my dear, you’ll be lucky if you don’t get blown away by the wind at this age.”

There must be some place where thirty is just the beginning of life. In her heart, she cried these words even as she shoved the rations and other travelling gear into her knapsack before swinging it across her back. Clenching her fists, she willed herself to stay focused as she unsheathed the longsword from its scabbard for a final look, before re-sheathing it.

“Let’s go, Rehan. I’m tired of this place, already.”

Tilting her head towards the doorway, she motioned for him to follow her.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:11 AM   #20
Leafblade

edit ooc: I'm off to bed now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Rehan noticed the sudden change in the older woman. He gave her an awkward pat on the shoulder as they made their way to the stables. Two horses were provided for them as they loaded their items into the saddlebags. One of the young stable boys laughed when they saw Rehan's bandage.

"What hit you this time Rehan? I heard ol'Berand got you good earlier today.

Remaining silent and scowling, he directed his horse out of the encampment and towards the trail they would be taking. "I heard the village can be reached in five days if we keep up a decent pace." He offered to the woman as she caught up with him.

[ 06-14-2006, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Leafblade ]