Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #111
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Jared hated to see them go. The woman...Acacia...she was more than she appeared and it was fascinating just being around her. She hid secrets, but why she had ended up a simple royal guard was the strangest mystery of the day...yet unsolved. He waved to them again, though they were now too far away to see, and turned to head back into town and tell everyone of the death of a Black Willow Tree. If he hurried, he'd have enough time to finish his weeding in the corn field before dark.

When he got into town, he ran into the barkeep, and before even saying hello, the man asked about his sword.

"Oh crap!"

He thought, and ran back into the marshes to find the borrowed blade.

[ 07-08-2006, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 06-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #112
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

ooc: I had fun with it while it lasted. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Rehan could only watch her in a mixture of confusion and hurt. He knew he was no hero, but he thought he had did well enough on their mission. "Thank you for all the money, but I'd like you to have this as well." He pulled off the pendant from around his neck and slipped over her head before she could protest. "I think you'll need it more than me, and hopefully you can look back someday with it and remember fondly your days as Acacia." Look back fondly on what? Almost being eaten by a tree? Rehan shook his head wryly, knowing their mission had only been a beginning for her. "May we meet again." He turned away from her then, and made his way across the encampment.
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:16 AM   #113
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

News travel fast, and deeds of valour are no exception.

The extraordinary feat of the young soldier who had suffered a gash to his head at the start of his maiden adventure but who returned a slayer of the terrifying Black Willow, made its rounds across taverns, then villages, towns and even cities.

Rehan was now a sought-after commodity, and scores of adventures lay at his feet for his choosing after that brief episode of his adventuring life. His tale of what ensued, though, is one which only he can relay to those whom he has placed his confidences.

In time to come, a call for Rehan the Great came from a distant city of Alesbridge. For this fair city was under peril from the attacks of an unknown creature. Malevolent it was, for it lurked in the safety of the forests behind the city. And any careless traveller who ventured within its reach would be found lifeless, the next day.

Alesbridge was in despair, and by the rallies of the people, summoned the Rehan the Great in dire need of his aid...
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:41 AM   #114
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Rehan pulled out his map again and scanned the faded parchment. "Damn that Captain..." He grumbled to himself. Only Tarnik would give me the most faded map in the entire encampment... Shaking his head ruefully, he placed the paper away and returned his gaze to the trail ahead. The sun was slowly sinking into the sky, filling the forest with an unwelcoming air as night began to take over.

Quickening his gallop, he emerged from the forest and pulled back on the reigns as the city came into view. The moonlight filled the city with a soft light, masking the horrors as if to keep it secret. Rehan couldn't stop the memories of another moonlight village he had once been to with Acacia. His features turned into a frown at the thought of her. She had disappeared out of his life as quickly as she came into it. "No point in thinking on that." He commented to the cold night air as slowly made his way to the city, alert for anything amiss.

[ 07-09-2006, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #115
mistral4543

The arrival of the city's saviour was the only topic worth mentioning that night. Alesbridge was in a delirium and cat-calls echoed throughout the streets as the young hero rode amongst the admiring throngs of citizens who reached out feverishly to touch what they could of him or his fearless stallion.

At present, a hush fell upon the enthusiastic crowd as it parted to make way for an elegantly-dressed man. Noble were both his dressing and deportment, as he faced the youth with a grim smile.

"Your presence here boosts the morale of our entire city, Rehan." Gesturing around, he continued. "You see before you our folk, law-abiding citizens who try to mind their own business and make an honest living of ourselves in the best way we can. Yet, for this, we are punished." The tone of his voice grew increasingly menacing. "A creature - perhaps a spirit, even - grows envious of our success." The crowd stirred. "It seeks to destroy the very foundation of our city: peace, and harmony."

Nodding seriously, he eyed the sandy-blonde haired lad. "Our hopes are on you, Rehan, to seek out this vile creature. It must understand that whatever it hopes to achieve through its assaults, will not be condoned."

Much cheering followed this pronouncement, before Lord Gerald raised his hand for silence.

"But you are tired, and must recuperate with proper rest, before you embark on your hunt tomorrow. Come, follow me."

Together, both lord and hero walked through the crowds to retire to the comfortable quarters that awaited them.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:04 AM   #116
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Rehan was in high spirits after the warm welcoming he received. If father could see me now... They all consider me a hero! No one even cared I existed a few years ago... Grim acknowledgement met the irony of the situation. Darkened thoughts were wiped away as they reached their destination. The outside appearance of the accommodation was better than anything he ever had the pleasure to get to know at the encampment. Captain Tarnik made sure everyone lived the same, regardless of if you were a hero to the people or a lowly new recruit. This is starting off well.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #117
mistral4543

The hoo-ha created by the citizens would have deterred any sane creature from making an attack on the city that night. And so it was, that it rested unmolested on this precious night in which every living creature savoured the hours of peaceful slumber robbed from the monster that haunted them so...

Too soon, the hours had skipped by, and a new day began. One by one, the citizens arose from their beds, stretching and yawning from a good night's sleep. If only their hearts could continue to beat so steadfastly every minute of the day, for all days to come! But that would be greedy indeed, considering the nightmarish months that had preceded the previous night.

As each proceeded to go about the daily routine that awaited himself or herself, they whispered a silent prayer that Rehan the Great would deliver them from their misery with swiftness...

"Well, Rehan, I hope that you have had some moments of peace last night." Lord Gerald greeted the newcomer heartily over breakfast. "I expect your foray today will require much strength and energy, so please, help yourself to the food." Sumptious was the spread lay before the youth's eyes. "As you may have already heard, the creature appears to be hovering about the forest, so you may wish to start off your ventures there. You can have the pick of any of the swords or armour in the weaponry or armoury rooms." Here, he fixed his eye keenly on the youth's expression. "We will aid you in any way that you need... as long as you help us get rid of our living hell."
Old 07-09-2006, 05:30 AM   #118
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Nodding his thanks, Rehan quickly dug into the food. The meal was comforting, and as it ended morbid thoughts entered his mind. While he was confident enough about the mission, it unsettled him that it seemed very familiar to the tree incident. He was all alone this time. No mysterious woman or bumbling farmer to help if ever would he need it. But then again he was a hero now, not just some orphaned farm boy like he had been a year ago. Offering his thanks again on the meal, he asked to be shown to the weaponry and armory.

Blades and suits of armor gleamed at him in the morning light. Rehan stood transfixed, never having seen so many beautifully crafted instruments of war. Making his way through out the room the young man examined several pieces of interest. He finally decided on a longsword hanging in the back corner. Silver wire twisted through out the hilt leading to a blade that was well balanced and sturdy enough to deliver a devastating blow if need be. Buckling it onto his belt he continued on to examine the armor. I don't want anything too heavy, or loud if I'm going to be sneaking around in the woods. Deciding on decent protection along with an aspect of stealth, he started to clasp on well-crafted studded leather. Finished with his supply gathering, he thanked the Lord Gerald and made his way of the house and into the city.

[ 07-09-2006, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Old 07-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #119
mistral4543

"A...are you sure about this, master?" the lad's voice quavered as they reached the edge of the city that brushed tantalisingly against the stretch of wilderness beyond it. "You know more than any of us that... that this place's not safe." Swallowing a gulp, he tugged at his collar uncomfortably. "W... we really don't need to do this, huh?"

"Stuff and nonsense!" retorted the dandy who unrolled the whip tucked neatly against his belt. "Where else do you think your pay comes from? We need to get the wood first." Now, his tone was sneering. "With the wood, we then have to chop it, see?" The whiteness of his teeth suddenly seemed eerie against the dark backdrop. "After we chop it, we sell it... and make a profit, if we're lucky." His eyes narrowed. "Part of the profit then comes to you, in the form of your pay. The pay that keeps a cowardly, ungrateful lout like you alive." Here, he poked the youth with the handle of the whip markedly. "Now, do you go in there with me or do we part ways here?"

Teary-eyed and shivering, the boy bowed his acquiescence, feeling his knees knocking against each other with each step that took them into the treacherous forest which had claimed so many lives. It was suicide, walking onwards like this, never mind that the arrival of Rehan the Great might have given the creature a moment's pause for consideration. We are going to die... we are going to die... The words were hovering around his ears as his trembling hands gripped the axe half-heartedly and he flung it against the trunk that his master had identified.

"That's right; keep at it and the next two trunks on the right." The man knew better, of course; the forest had not gained its reputation for evil without cause, but money had to be made. Blood money, if need be.

Inch by inch, he shifted his feet away but kept the level of his voice up and booming: "I want that done as fast as possible, you hear me?! I'm just off to search for better quality wood... you just hang around there and I'll return for you in two hours!" Yes, two hours of safety. I'm not so insane as to hang around here, no, not when I'm paying for his life.

Hurriedly now, he backed away. Yes, that was the way... was it not? He had taken this path once upon a time, before he had hired henchmen to take care of the tasks... only that one by one, they had fallen. Fallen prey to whatever was lurking in the woods. And now the craftsmen were demanding for their goods, for without them, they could not produce the furniture that the aristocrats wanted. What an ill turn of fortune that he had to undertake this menial task, with no one else willing to take on the job!

But wait... why was he thinking of all these issues? Not at a time like this, he shouldn't have. They were disorienting his thoughts, throwing his sense of direction off. Panic was hurling itself upon him with abandon as he glanced about in despair.

Where was he? Where was the way out?!

His mouth opened, but not a single syllable could he utter. How could he, when a very sound would alert the enemy of his presence when he was utterly defenceless now? Where was that confounded help of his? Oh, why, why had he not stayed there? Perhaps the fellow was not so dim-witted and could retrace their steps.

The silence engulfed him with a madness, feeding the raw fear that pierced through his bones and into his marrow. What could he do now? No compass, no stream to follow, nothing but his wits. Wits against what? Whom? I mustn't think... mustn't!!! For the cogitations that attacked his mind only drove him wild with passionate terror.

In the distance, a shriek of agony bounced off the watchful trees. He shuddered, recognising the voice of the lad. Run...

Where to run? His quivering legs staggered onward blindly and the shadows of trees and shrubs were nothing compared to those of leaping creatures that danced around him. Was it his imagination, or the growls and cackles were drawing closer? His skull was going to burst from the tumult of emotions tearing up from his breast and onward to his brain...

Just as he had swallowed a much-needed gulp of breath, he stiffened, sensing a presence in the distance. His eyes widened at the sight, and he gaped.

"How... could it... be...?"

He got no further. For had he turned his head, he would have noticed the two feline creatures that flanked his sides...

[ 07-09-2006, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]
Old 07-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #120
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

The cheers of the crowd was intoxicating for the young man. It filled his heart with foolish courage and clouded his judgment. I can take care of this monster easy enough. He thought boldly as he left the city and the crowd behind him. Silence soon engulfed him as he drew nearer to forest. Large trees loomed over him ominously, filled with death and dark secrets that the young man was destined to meet.

Gray eyes watched the trees suspiciously, all too aware that it was a tree that almost killed him last year. This isn't so bad... just a simple forest. His thoughts on the matter changed when he realized it continued to be silent inside the woods as well. No birds could be heard chipping, or the various other wildlife that was known to make a great deal of noise.

Pulling his sword out, he slowly continued on careful to be as quiet as possible and alert for whatever it was this monster happened to be. An hour went by and still nothing seemed to be amiss. I expected to run into something by now... maybe its just bandits again? Rehan wasn't allowed the pleasure of thinking on that for long as he came upon a body of a young boy. He rushed over to him and knelt beside the corpse, or what was left of it. The boy appeared to have been ravaged by fangs and claws leaving chunks of flesh and part of his limbs missing. An axe rested in his limp hands, shamefully reflecting the morning light onto its master's face.

The reality of the matter hit Rehan with such force that it threatened to break his resolve. He reached out to close the young victim’s eyes and stood up facing away. Could he really destroy this monster on his own? A monster that could easily take the life of a young boy? "But if I don't try who will?" Rehan commented quietly as he gripped his sword tightly and pushed forward.

[ 07-10-2006, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]