Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2001, 03:20 PM   #1
HavokHound

I don't think there are spoilers, but a warning none the less....

Afternoon all (ok it is 1 p.m. here in Phoenix, AZ, USA) I am at work eating lunch and playing on the net... A few questions if I may ask: (quick facts, I am a cavalier (3 headed flail and katana +2), level 10, got Minsc (lilicor), Jaheira (scimitar +1), Aieri (does it matter, I see dead people mace and a +3 sling and some rocks), Yoshimo (Oh boy I hate him, but Nalia got taken to prison???), and Valygar (He is my rotating char for quests, had Amonen for GY, Mazzy for Shadowloard, etc.) Other than that I don't have anything special..

1. I just fought the vamps in GY, going back, but before I take a boating trip, I thought I should visit more mainland, vamps were a bit tough, I think I need a few more sidequests, like getting some weapons. How tough is Planar sphere, shoudl I try this first?
2. Need to get pali a good katana or something as He has no flail skill and little 2 weapon but it seems an ok combo right now, yea I screwed up and was gonna start over, but again I digress) And suggestions for my chars?
3. Did I miss something in Copper Coronet, nobody has the ax, did slaves etc.
4. Why does negative plane spell last like 2 seconds...
5. Are there chances to improve weapn proficiencies? I have only had one.. Need more.. ARGH!! Oh yea and what about stats? (again another reason to start over)
6. When you go into a random (possibly empty) house and take the stuff left around is that considered stealing? (lower rep, I am goodie goodie right now)
7. And lastley, well for now at least, The tanner, and some early va,ps disappeared before I could kill them, is this bad? (also while wandering shadow thieves attacked me and the were led by sithe, who now wants to direct me to the island ( I peeked ahead, but went back before the boating trip)

OK thanks for all your help...

Old 01-30-2001, 03:42 PM   #2
turbovee
Elminster

1)I suggest the guarded compound in the temple district. Tough battle, but worth it for the weapons. Did you try the twisted ruin in the bridge district, you need a rogue stone to get through the door. its over by where you found the dude with the red clothes that buried the guy alive. Another epic battle with great rewards. Planar sphere is definitely worth the exp. Again tough for weaker characters.

2) Guarded compound gets you a great Katana

3) What axe do you mean? Did you free the slaves yet?

4) negative plane spell should act like the real thing and last until the person/creature affected is restored through spell or scroll friend or foe. Some creatures are immune to negative plane spells, especially vamps

5) your weapon pros go up as your exp levels go up, however they only happen like every 2 levels increased and even then they are limited. Elaborate a little more on your stats question. If your really worried about this you can always cheat by using a character editor (shadowkeeper).

6) unless you see a script come up on the screen that says "someone has noticed you" then don't worry about it. you only lose rep points if you actually engage the person you stole from or the guards that have been called on you.

7) don't worry about your last question everything will still progress. You'll meet the tanner later and the theives should have stopped attacking you after you chose to side with them.
Old 01-30-2001, 03:53 PM   #3
HavokHound

Thanks for the reply

1. That is a good question ain't found the guy in red yet, and I really want too. I will go to bridge before bought, and do this side quest, I assume I can wait on the boat thing a bit.(Hey did you kill the raging uncle.. he he)
2. Thanks, will the compound be easy to find?
3. Yep freed the slaves, there is a returning throwing axe in Copper Coronet, I read, oh well I guess it's not important, but I thought spoke with everyone in there.
4. Neg Plane, I cast it on my characters before battle and it dies before battle is over.. I guess I need to figure out where to buy Restoration Scrolls.
5. OK I will just go up a few more levels and play, just didn't want to be stuck, I like the katana, but with only a level 2, I wants plus 3!!! Oh on the stats, Like potions to increase intel, or strength permanetly.
6. OK cool, then I will scrounge a bit more with less fear.
7. Oh good, that tanner pissed me off, so I want to wack him good. And actually Sith attacked me in the bridge district, after I just completed level 2 of the theives quest, it appeared they were talking bad about Aran. hmmm I think the Vamp that I keep "not killing" was Valen, she is a hungry beast ain't she.

Old 01-30-2001, 04:16 PM   #4
turbovee
Elminster

Oh you got a long trip ahead, don't even worry about the boat taking off without you. I did all the side quests before I even left on the boat and it took me 2 months in gametime.

The guarded compound should be marked on your temple district map.

You can always buy restoration scrolls from any temple. I'm sorry I misunderstood the question I thought you were casting the negative plane spell, not the protection spell. (Negative plane spell is a 9th level mage offensive spell)the protection spell only lasts 5 rounds.

The axe you're asking about is called the AzureEdge. It kills vamps on contact. It's pink and you buy it from Bernard in the CC it should be there if you freed the slaves from the slave boat in the slums.

There is only one way to increase your attributes permanently and thats to cheat using a character editor. BG2 did away with the tomes that were in BG1. No potions or scrolls either they're all temporary.

Just a suggestion: Don't run through the game killing everthing you can. Your enemies will be revealed to you and you will get your chance to hack them up. If you miss them the first time because they were just talking to you. trust me they will come back for you later or you may have to track them down, but you'll know you're ready to fight. I'l be here for awhile, so don't be afraid to keep post running for anymore questions. I'll check in on it to help you out. I'm sure a whole buch of others will too. They're great people
Old 01-30-2001, 04:37 PM   #5
HavokHound

OK first, my subject is too long, but other than that...

I was in the bridge dstrict for awhile and never found the guy in red... hmmmm any suggestions?

Bernard huh? Hmm can't find him, is he in the main room? I freed all the slaves, Boo thinks I am a great Hero now. But Azureedge, I would like to find because Vamps are ticking me off.

Actually I am quite the opposite on killing, I try to kill anything, I figured Paladins shoudl be slightly merciful, Remember the uncle that was attacking his ungrateful nephew in the Graveyard? And not sure about the thieves attacking me in the bridge district, guess I just heard too much.

Since your here, I didn't play BG1, so this guy keeps pestering me to go into the Harpers compound and rescue his little buddy, but I haven't, and I guess I should know who he is. I don't...

EVer complete a big quest and each char gets quest exp points, I just completed level three with Amonen, but he sucks so I am not gonna get him the exp, I am dropping him first and going to to give it to Valgyr, but alas, Nalia got arrested (UGH), so now I had to pick up Yoshi, otherwise no thief, but I don't want to give him exp points, I will dump him as soon as I get Imoen back.. Do you know if Quest experience points are higher with less characters?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-30-2001, 05:02 PM   #6
turbovee
Elminster

Whoa slow down My brain hurts!! You should be able to rescue Nalia to get her back.

Look along the docks for a guy in red near the left side of the area. You can't miss him.

Bernard is the fat guy that hangs around the bar on the left side of the CC.

Yes, Xzar is a NPC from BG1 He's not a NPC here. He sucked anyway.

There are so many exp points you'll get throughout the game and yes there are times when each character gets quest exp points. You're right about being selective with your NPC, but the game is just as fun the 8th time through as it is the first time. I know very few people on this board who ran through the game on their first time through, so play around with your NPCs and explore alot. talk to everone you can, poke your nose into every door and save a lot because curiosity killed the cat. I personally like Jaheira (for some weird reason I'm attracted to an imaginary video game vixen, did I mention i'm in therapy right now ), Valygar, Mazzy Fentan or Keldorn, Nalia (Drew Barrymore?) and Imoen.
Old 01-30-2001, 05:29 PM   #7
HavokHound

Thanks turbovee, sorry to hurt your head.

Xzar, should I do his quest or just ignore him, he is quite rude, I was tempted to try out my new Brass Knuckles on his nose.

OK when I get home I am looking for the fat guy, the guy in red and .. well dinner, I am already hungry.

I like Jaheira, though she is a bit rough on the edges and her and Aeri don't really get along. Then again Aeri whines a lot. Nalia was ok, but I knew I wasn't going to keep her long, I guess I should rescue her at least. Minsc is cool, and trying out Valgyr...at least he so far isn't as annoying as Anomen or Yoshi...

Old 01-30-2001, 05:43 PM   #8
turbovee
Elminster

Yes do Xzar's quest. The thing about Nalia and Imoen is that they become really good mages as they get more exp and go up in levels. Edwin is another good mage to have but for some reason he just pisses me off. By now you can probably guess I like mages.Jaheira is limited by her weapon usage, but stick a good sling her hand and give some good armor and she becomes a great asset. I wish the game came with a torture Anomen quest where you could string him up by his toenails and leave him hanging upside down naked in the center of the govt. district so everyone could walk by and throw rotten fruit him. Enjoy your dinner