Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Apologies to Roddybug if I seem to repeatng his post but I'ld like to question another aspect of the Drow Proving Grounds.

I know the new Hakpak is due and there will be changes. But is the DPG hard enough?

It is possible to solo the DPG now. Perhaps the regulars are getting too familiar with it or making better buiolds.

The first time I went in there, just as an example, the Drow Ranger greeted you with a barrage of Harm spells. If you did not get in there and hit him quickly enough you died fast. And If that didn't hurt the protectors would get you. Same all along the line.

Thanks to Farmer who helped me through that the first time I went in.

Now it is not too difficult to solo the DPG. Perhap it would be good if even the best builds had to combine to get through it.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

We had a bit of that today. While my one death was deliberate, it was still an interesting experience. Since we didn't have time to complete the quest, I can't say what the other 6 would have been like, but the corner we didn't get to always gave me the biggest fits. The very first time I was there I was with a big party, including Cloudy, and some others, Nacht maybe? I've lost a lot of memory since then, but in that party it was relatively easy. There were 5 or 6 of us though.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

I figure that the Drow Proving Grounds are tough enough as it is. The only way I would even consider making it tougher is the following:

- armors and weapons which can be purchased at the stores should be replaced with brand new customized items for the members of the twelve
- all members of the Drow Proving Grounds who can use scrolls should be given a few extra to increase the number of spells to defend against/deal with
- the Protectors should have a few more spells to protect themselves and their charges

Beyond that, I figure the Drow Proving Grounds is pretty blasted difficult. And one-trick ponies like the characters I normally make have a tough time of it as it is.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

The drow ranger now hits you with harm spell after harm spell (met him this morning).

You'll be pleased to hear that he is now as dangerous as ever. Again.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh Heck.

Sorry about that Dace. Wishes can come true too quickly for comfort around here (goes out to buy a few more Protection from Spells potions).
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'll tell you what I've relearned in the last 6 months of tromping around through Undermountain. Potions are your friend. I used to know that, way back in my "younger days", but I kinda forgot it somewhere along the way.

Edit for code removal, since it didn't work.

[ 04-07-2006, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I am seeing whether or not anyone has any good ideas on how to make the Drow Proving Grounds harder/more rewarding in terms of what our fine evil loving friends are wearing? If all recall, there are a lot of items the characters are using which are standard fare or below fare in terms of what is already available on Levels Twelve and Thirteen. So without much details, I was personally wondering what everyone else would like to see the drow drop instead of what they already are.

Please note, we DO have to be able to defeat them somehow, so no going way overboard with the defensive OR the offensive capabilities of their (new or revised) items. In some cases, the mere thought of dual wielding characters dropping both weapons would be more than enough. In other cases where people think the foe is too soft, an improvement in their armor may be in order. And if you are tired of seeing the exact same weapon over and over again (the drow short sword +8 comes to mind as being possessed by more than one character), perhaps some alterations or a complete change in device?
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote