Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2001, 09:23 PM   #11
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
Thanx Z-man! yeah, he's cute!

um...what does midi music sound like? :1blush:

a MIDI sounds relatively like the original song its supposed to represent, only its much smaller, and therefore of very poor quality. vocals are usually replaced by a half-rate violin sound, and it just generally sounds crappy.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:28 PM   #12
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
the problem is, i often HAVE my music playing when doing anything on my computer, and my speakers are typically VERY loud! so when they have music, it disrupts me terribly! i quickly leave the site or just turn the volume all the way down...

Dang!! Same here.. you said exactly what I do.. I listen to Realplayer Radio shows (Artbell crazyness) , and hit a site that plays a Wav file that says "WELCOME TO BLA BLA BLA".. makes me jump, and get mad.. but it's mostly music blaring.. Metallica or something "One" isn't bad, but Midi doesn't do it justice--Justice for all! ?

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-23-2001, 09:29 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
a MIDI sounds relatively like the original song its supposed to represent, only its much smaller, and therefore of very poor quality. vocals are usually replaced by a half-rate violin sound, and it just generally sounds crappy.
I will probably regret this, but...

if you're interested in finding some MIDI files, check here:

http://www.midifarm.com/

Cheers,

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-23-2001, 09:31 PM   #14
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Not to mention that for those people who "stealth-surf" from work, to have a MIDI come blasting out of their speakers....BUSTED!!! (most annoying...sure am glad we don't have speakers up here at the school!)

Cheers,

LOL Saz! I remember once buying this demo CD with a bunch of games on it. Now normally I only use my work PC for work only, but it was a really slow time at work, and soooo... Man! Embarrassin!! Was clicking round on all the different game demos, was going OK for awhile there, no game had sound, and I made sure if they did, to mute it before running the game. Well this one game came up after I clicked on it and started itself up. Oh Man. Beetris I think it was. Not only did it give sound, but it did it when the boss decided to walk by, doh! Frikken music was the "ABC's" man!!!!! Can you get more embarrassed than that? Abc, 123, I know my abc's... oh put my head in a sack and close it quick now!! Sheesh!

Don't do that anymore LOL!

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 09:34 PM   #15
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I will probably regret this, but...

if you're interested in finding some MIDI files, check here:

http://www.midifarm.com/

Cheers,

Saz, believe me, i have enough MIDI files as it is! (i learned the difference after i heard an mp3 file.). i actually think there are some good sounding ones, just... not many and you have to search and dig for them. i think i'll stick with mp3's...
200 MIDIs, maybe 2MB worth of space taken up...
Old 10-23-2001, 10:11 PM   #16
Gamma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
Well midi files in the backround are ok imho as long as you can turn them on and off, or chose the songs that it playes in the backround.

How do you turn them off without muting your sound?
Old 10-23-2001, 11:02 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You can turn them off ONLY if the person who designed the web page is thoughtful enough to provide controls for doing so. It's done with the < EMBED SRC= > tag. Quite often, either through negligence or ignorance, the person who embeds the MIDI file leaves off the controls, and puts the MIDI playing at full volume set to loop continuously, with no means of recourse than to turn down your sound.

Reasons why this is considered to be "bad design":

1) Some people listen to CD's while surfing...this completely ruins the experience for them

2) As I said above, some people are surfing from work and get "busted" if sound starts blasting from the speakers. (LadyZekke, your story was HILARIOUS, BTW!! Hope you didn't get in too much hot water!)

3) If the tag is not closed properly, it can corrupt the rest of the web page file and crash the browser, especially when it starts trying to render the sound

4) No one should have stuff foisted upon them when entering a page...it's the audio equivalent of a "pop-up ad". Your visitors should be able to choose whether or not they wish to listen to something, instead of you making the choice for them.

5) As stated in posts above, most MIDI sounds are extrememly LAME, although I have heard some exquisitely rendered ones as well. Those are few and far between, though. If MIDI's are used, they should not auto-start, allowing the person to control volume and decide whether or not they wish to hear it, or, failing that, at least be fairly quiet and non-obtrusive.

Ah, enough said!

Cheers,

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!