Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but how about a ranger/assassin/blackguard? It occured to me the other day that this might be a good idea, and I am trying it out. Ran him in undermountain last night, and had some success. I used the stalker package, and got assassin at lvl 6, about the same for a rogue. I didn't get my pet though, any thoughts? Next project, Druid/Assassin.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
ScottG
Drow Warrior

If your going the dual-wield route with medium armor that sounds pretty good, otherwise a fighter would be preferable over the ranger (xtra feats).

I too have been experimenting with multiclass structures (and looking over the basics behind the new prestige classes for HOTU).

Here is an interesting premis. Ranged sneak attack by steping into a "cloud" of darkness provided by the spell darkness. The spell darkness in this example is particularly nice because if you cast it where it is NOT touching your opponent (i.e. NOT making it dark for your opponent) then they will not attack you imeadiatly nor (if they have the ability) will they cast the spell ultravision to see into the dark cloud.
What feat helps facilitate attacking in darkness? Blind Fighting.
Sneak attack suggests rogue, assasin, or blackguard. For this type of attack the additional element of possible paralyisis provide by an assasin is strongly preferable.
What class has the best single-shot ranged attack (i.e. the best chance to hit irrespective of multiple attacks)? The Arcane Archer at level 9.
Far better is the additional damage of the Arcane Archer and the awesome "hail of arrows" at level 8. (and the other bonus are really nice too.)
Is there a single class available that will allow the Arcane Archer AND the Assasin prestige classes? Yes, the Bard. Moreover the bard at level 8 has a base of 3 spells at level 2 which could give you 3 spells of darkness to cast b4 resting. (I'd take a bard to level 9 however for the additional 3rd level spell - wounding whispers is fantastic.) The Bard (with precisly 5 points in perform skill) adds an additional +1 to attack and +1 of BLUNT damage.
In addition the Assasin class at level 5 can also cast darkness once per day.

So picture this you are a Bard level 9, Arcan Archer level 8, Assasin level 1 (with the feat Blind Fighting) and your motoring along in hide mode to scout out an area. You come across 5 plus opponents but haven't been spotted yet because you are at the edge of their range of visibility/hearing and you are still hiding. You step backward a bit to remove yourself completely from the range of hearing/seeing you use Bard Song and then cast the spell darkness just out of their range to where the spells effects doesn't encompass them. You then walk into the cloud of darkness (and with your blind fighting feat) and attack them (perhaps with a nice bow with str. modifier, haste, rapid shot, and acid arrows). Each attack targets all 5 opponents and each attack has the chance for Death attack that will provide extra 1d6 damage (at 1 level of Assasin) and the possibility of paralyzation. Additionally of course each succesfull hit will no doubt (at this level) have 3 additional damage from str. modifiers, 4 additional damage from Arcane Archer level, 1d6 of damgage from acid arrows, and 1 additional blunt damgage from Bard Song - all in addition to the damage roll of the type of bow.

Another really nice thing about this character is that for advanced mod.s like the upcoming HOTU you can start with this character (char. level 18) and improve it by finishing off the 2 levels of Arcane Archer and continue adding additional levels to your assasin ability to increase the percentage of paralyzation and level of sneak attack damage.

I haven't gotten to the point yet where I can see if this premis is good or not (I haven't reached a level yet where I've tried either the level of assasin or have the "hail of arrows" feature).

[ 10-27-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

that sounds really good, except for one problem. Arcane archers must be good, which good doesn't matter, but they have to be good, and assassins must be evil. You can't get both of those classes in one char, or I already would have.
The premise is good, but not possible. However, a fighter with weapon focus, weapon specialization, and improved crit, with a good long bow, such as comp. +3, would give you basically the same result, - hail of arrows, which is great, against a room full of low lvl monsters, but not so good other wise. Usually serves to anger higher lvl creatures, in my experience. The dual wielding is great, but with a weapon focus, and improved critical in the halberd, and wielding Dragon's Breath, he does pretty well.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:54 AM   #4
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hmm, didn't say anything about alignment in the manual... I'll check it next time I level up. Of course you could always go to level 10 for your AA and then tri to the assasin (after going out and killing a bunch of people). Sounds like hail of arrows has problems similar to what I encountered with circle kick - I wonder though if it could be finessed or if its a big deal with the strategy I mentioned? (guess I'll find out..)

if your using a halberd then I'd strongly suggest a fighter in pref. over a ranger. (my melee fav. is the Scythe - just love getting 70+ criticals).

at level-up the description doesn't require a good alignment either. Tommorrow I'll try killing a town or two and see if I can't select AA on level-up.

Just finished trying it out - you can be evil AND be an AA (at least in this game if not on pnp).

[ 10-28-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
Old 10-29-2003, 12:04 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Time to eat some crow. I also started and built a bard, assassin, arcane archer. Don't know where i got the idea that an arcane archer had to be good, but i did, and they don't. Ran her in Undermountain, till it crashed, and seems to be a pretty viable combo. I bow to your powers of observation Scott, and thank you for pointing out the error of my ways, oh, and for turning me on to the fact that i could run these two classes together. I am truly a happy camper now.
edit: I made it to Elminster, woo hoo.

[ 10-29-2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
Old 10-29-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
ScottG
Drow Warrior

No, no - Don't eat crow, (real bad ju ju man). (Interesting fact: crows are the only animals known, other than humans, to create tools to acomplish tasks - unrelated to habitat.)

I think the idea was soley a PNP restriction (though I can't concieve of why). For the "elf" part (considering chaotic evil alignment down the road) I just went with an elf race renamed (and blue colered) to a Drow.

Though you have prob. already found out, be carefull about points in skills - on my character I seem to be getting a nice boost on skill across the board (varying boost though). For instance I was getting a boost of 3 to perform skill so that I only had to place in 2 points in that skill (any more and I'd loose the ability for the +1 hit and +1 damage bard song - and of course I can always wear items to modify the bard song if I want).

I'm approaching level 14 now and I have to say that this character is a real TANK (as a bard level 9 AA level 4), better than my pure monk was at this level and about to head into Luskan. Typical scenario is wear robes of Dark Moon for Haste (I have 14 points in magic item use), use lesser oathbow, Feats in (point blank, rapid shot, blind fighting, weapon focus shortbow, improved critical shortbow), natural attribute scores (in order) of (11, 19, 14, 13, 8, 14), Dex. modifiers of (Elf boots and ring of the rogue) = 22 Dex.), +2 ac ring, Caste Mage Armor total AC = 27), with rapid shot (detriment) and Bard Song modified hit = 20/15, with Haste and rapid shot thats 4 attacks a round.
For most encounters there is very little finessing envolved and on occasion for pounding power I'll summon a Dire Boar and give it mage armor (makes for a good distraction too).

On top of all of this (like most characters I run) its a solo character (i.e. no henchmen neccesary), the character has good skill levels in open lock disable trap, set trap, appraise, persuade, etc..

It however isn't as strong as my Monk 2/Sorceror 11 at equal levels. Nor is it as strong as my Rogue/Shadow Dancer/Blackguard at an equal level (finessing the "hide in plain sight feature and using a Scythe). BUT I haven't gotten that "hail of arrows" feature yet OR any levels with Death Attack paralyzation. (who knows, may end up prefering it over the others?)

[ 10-30-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: ScottG ]