Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Just got NWN Gold and I'm installing tonight. I'm intending to skip straight to SoU.

I am a blank slate. I know nada ab out these games. So I have a few pertinent q's.

1. What patch should I use? I suspect NWN Gold may have many fixes incorporated.

2. Introductory/newbie advice, PLEASE!

THanks!!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Welcome to your new addiction [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Just click "UPDATE" on your game menu and it will select the appropriate patch (the latest) and download it automatically.

The origianl OC (official module with aribeth etc. in it) is crap. Do not judge the game on this. The other OC's especially SOU were way better. Play the first one but if you get bored and have decided you feel confident enough with the basic controls etc. go and play the SOU (XP2) OC. It is a 1st-level OC also so don't worry. You have not played NWN's until you have played online (but give it a bit before you try as you get used to playing offline firstly).
Check this site out for hundreds of modules : www.nwvault.com and content and and and...

Enjoy !

[ 03-26-2004, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 03-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Pop in the CD and hit the update button, that will bring you up to date with the latest patch, which is version 1.62.

General newbie advice....Hmmmm, As far as characters go, well I hear SoU is a bit more challenging for arcane casters (Mage/Sorcerers), especially if you decline the help of henchmen. I havn't gotten around to playing a mage in SoU yet though so this is secondhand advice. I found it quite accessible and fun with a cleric and then a paladin but I had the most fun with a rouge turned assassin.

On another note, for the best humor, take Deekin as a henchman as soon as you can. Even if you dislike the henchman system, Deekin's antics are priceless. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

NWN is not addictive SpiritWarrior....

I'm not addicted, No I dont need any stinkun help. I can go without NWN, I swear....

...Okay, Yes. I did cry a little when my PC went sour and I couldn't play NWN or use the toolset for week.... But that does not mean I am an addict. No siree. No, I am not in denial. Hey stop, you cant take NWN from me. I can't live without it! AUUUUUUGH...

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously,

I wanted to add that getting HotU, the second XP, is recommened as well. It won't change the content of the other two campaigns at all, but does open new and fabulous character options and prestige classes. It also will update the game even closer to the latest patch version.

Oh, yeah.... If making use of the toolset to design your own D&D modules is a goal, HotU is must have for all the new content. Also, many (but not all or even perhaps most) modules and online gaming worlds have updated to require it. Zirocs EFU module requires it for example.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

So, from Chewie's last post -- should I get HoTU to augment my SoU game with certain things (like Prestige classes) BEFORE I play HoTU?

Also, about classes....

I know you get henchmen, but how soon? I don't want to be a single mage roaming around against the world.

Maybe you guys can help me choose my class. I want to achieve certain goals, in this order:

1. Having all dialogue options and knowing the full story line.

2. Knowing about and working my way through the environment, especially know about the items I pick up and knowing where traps are.

3. Ability to win combat efficiently.

Normally, I like Rangers, Druids, Clerics, and mages. Any advice?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:52 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I'd give gold a shot first then decide if you really want HotU. It will give you access to some more prestige classes yes, and 20 more levels with feats, spells etc. but play the first two, then when you're ready for level 40 buy the last.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
ScottG
Drow Warrior

my take is a little different.. IF spending the cash on HOTU won't hurt your wallet, then by all means by HOTU. Otherwise, try playing a character you would NOT ordinarily select for the first chapter of NWN's (not SOU) to get a feel for the game, if you like the overall action, interface, etc. then go ahead and purchase HOTU.

[ 03-26-2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Scott G said what I was already thinking. I would play the OC first just to get the feel. Personally I enjoyed playing the OC, but I did enjoy SoU more.

Also, TL, the thing is that once you finish SoU there are "Bridge Modules" that you can download for free because at the end of SoU you'll end up around 12th level. If you go directly to HotU it will automatically level you to 15. I like earning levels so I played The Nether Scrolls by Papermonk and it was a blast. Now I am ready for HotU without being given any levels.

As for character classes well Clerics literally rock in the NWN world. It is my favorite class. If you are going to be a wizard you *BETTER* have a henchman that can delve out melee damage.

By the way, have fun!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

How do druids and rangers fare in NWN?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Go get Hordes. Then forget about the OC and get online.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote