Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Default Antivirus Protection

Hi All,

Some of you may or may not know that I do work for Norton/Symantec. I've seen many of the posts on here about various AV protection and wanted to let you all know about the new 2009 releases.

Many of the comments I have seen on here indicate that the Norton products are bloatware or that they slow down your PC. The good folks in our consumer division have listened and have re-engineered the NAV and NIS product lines to make it lighter & faster than before.

You can check out some of the new features & speeds below

http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security

If you are running other AV software because of your past experence with Norton/Symantec I would encourage you to check out this new release as it has adressed a number of the past complaints that we have seen from the community.

Trialware (15 Days) is below

http://nct.symantecstore.com/fulfill/0184.077

I Hope you like it

Cheers

T-D-C
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: Antivirus Protection

Yes, I would say you are quite correct!

I bought 2 copies of Norton SystemWorks 2006 and they wern't in my PC's for very long. Too, damn, slow!

I was thoroughly disgusted with it/them.

I thought I could trust a name like Norton, but I dare not spend a cent on it anymore. Once bit...

I still have the boxes and software, although I don't know why.

I don't know if you were there longer enough to be familiar with an old DOS program called "Norton commander"?
That was an excellent piece of software to transfer and manage your files.

What happened??
Did they get the big corporate contracts and let quality/performance slip?

I appreciate you telling me this, and I certainly hope you pass mine and anyone else' comments on. I would hope that a product I have to pay for, would out perform something I get for free.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I agree with you there the 2006, 2007 & 2008 were not upto scratch (in my own opinion of course) and during those years I actually used our corporate Software on my home pc. I've actually just installed NIS 2009 and my startup time has been decreased and my CPU usage has gone down as well.

Honestly from my view I think the software needed a rebuild to include all of the new technology acquired over the past few years (Veritas, Altiris and many others (now Message labs and PC Tools) o I would expect to see many more inmprovements in the years to come.

There were just so many features being built into the same package that from my perspective the software became a bit bloated.

Once you get an opinion on something it is hard to change that is why I am asking people to try it for free for 15 days to see if this changes your opinion. At the end of it you can continue or uninstall it (infact i "think" you can still get upgrade pricing from your 2006 purchase but I am not 100% on that)

I honestly believe that the new 2009 release would be far better than any of the free av scanners out there.

Will pass your comments onto our consumer team though.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Happy Re: Antivirus Protection

I will stick to NOD32.

I used to have Norton a long time ago. I switched to NOD and it immediately found 2 trojans that had been on the machine and not picked up by Norton.

I know that AVs wont pick everything up but detections by Norton lag behind those of NOD and Kaspery. It is my opinion that if it wasnt for the tie in with manufacturers / shops installing Norton on machines then they would have gone the way of the Dodo a long time ago. This is also without mentioning the fact about the terrible uninstall problems (you really shouldnt need an extra uninstall tool to get rid of all that bloat). Those that know dont go with Norton.

Like I said these are my opinions only so please no flaming

Last edited by Huwge; 10-19-2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: additional comment
Huwge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-D-C View Post

Will pass your comments onto our consumer team though.
Thanks TDC, I really appreciate that!

Huwge does make a good point though. I know that even in the DOS to Windows 3.1 days, Norton like to take over your system/OS. That was a big hang up with a lot of people. Is this still true today?

I would like to give it a try. Will it automatically turn off my other anti-virus programs? And, will it perform the tasks of:
Avast, Spybot, & Zonealarm, which are running now? And will it do the job of Adware, which I try to run about once a week?

Huwge,
I would recommend forgoing the acronyms (NOD32) in order to cater to mine and others ignorance here.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

FYI, NOD32 is the product name (the compnay is ESET) and not just an acronym

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

uhhh, I knew that!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

As with Any AV program it won't run or play nice with other AV software on your system so they normally need to be uninstalled first.

NIS2009 is AV, Firewall, Antispam (and will pick up sypware, adware etc) So it can do the job of those programs.

If your looking at 3rd party performace of all the major AV vendors I would recommend http://www.virusbtn.com/index

Huwge, As i said in my first post the ball was dropped in earlier releases. How long ago was your last experence with Norton? Which release was it (if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Huwge
Dungeon Master

I believe it was 2000 version. I am aware that you dont have two AVs installed at one time. My point was that Norton didnt uninstall cleanly to such an extent that there was tool created to get rid of all the leftovers.

With regards to performance indicators, all the major vendors can point to somewhere where it shows them in a good light.

I am not an advocate of all in one softwares. I prefer a layered approach. If one had NIS and something circumvented it then you would be naked. layered is safer i.m.o.

As for trying Norton again...no thanks, I dont want to risk it and leave what I consider the strong layered protection I already have.