Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 06:27 PM   #1
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/topstory2/1033565

If the FTC approves this, it will give HP more then 70% of the PC market!

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-05-2001, 06:40 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

If they truly will have 70% of the PC market (which seems a bit high) then the FTC will never approve this!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-05-2001, 06:46 PM   #3
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
If they truly will have 70% of the PC market (which seems a bit high) then the FTC will never approve this!

I read in an article that it would be 70%. Who else is left? Gateway, Del, and IBM. IBM already exited the consumer computer biz so that just leaves gateway and del.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-05-2001, 06:58 PM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:

I read in an article that it would be 70%. Who else is left? Gateway, Del, and IBM. IBM already exited the consumer computer biz so that just leaves gateway and del.

I guess with IBM exiting and the merger there really doesn't leave much else! There are still a few independent small companies but they don't amount to much. It makes my point of the FTC not approving the deal even more valid. I can't see them ever approving a merger that would allow a near monopoly like this!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-05-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
MagiK

hehe there are many near monopoly's Being that I work Primarily with HP Enterprise class systems Im kind of glad to see them get a boost, they need help getting things back on track (no I do not work FOR HP I just work with their servers) IBM in the business world will still be a larger concern than the HP/Compaq combo (My company is heavily invested in both HP and IBM systems moreso IBM), however the desktop systems may be dominated by the merger. Dell is still out there but isn't positioned well at this time.

Has anyone who is worried about the merger ever actually owned a Compaq computer? I have built all my systems myself so I don't know how reliant the gamers are on Compaq.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-05-2001, 07:12 PM   #6
MagiK

Just a comment about one benefit (which doesnt help gamers much) of there being a few VERY large vendors over a lot of small time concerns is that the little guys can't handle the load when it comes to corporate Support and supply. Dell had a chance for a contract with us and they had to decline because they couldn't meet our need for sheer numbers and they couldnt gaurentee the level of support and response time we required for our systems...We are in the medical field and we need support within minutes not hours or days so we need major players for our support.

------------------

Old 09-05-2001, 07:30 PM   #7
Blade
Emerald Dragon

My parents computer is a compacq it seems like it lockes up daily, more so if you are running cpu intensive games then it crashes hourly. As i moan about the many times it crashed in Bg2 and TOB. Luckfully i have my own computer now (self built).

------------------
People are born and people die and yeat life goes on without a care.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:34 PM   #8
MagiK

Blade from my experience if you take the time to build your own and learn how things work together you end up having far less dificulty than those who rely on off the shelf machines from Dell or Compaq. I constantly hear people whith those systems with the same hardware ans OS as I have in their machines having problems where I have none....the only problem I have had in thelast year was with a microsoft terminal server client that just wont run with my GeForce3

------------------

Old 09-05-2001, 09:00 PM   #9
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I for one am not happy about this idea. I have a compaq. There haven't been many complaints for me so far. The only thing I don't like is the built in video card. Otherwise everything has run great on it. I have had friends with HP's and they seem to have nothing but trouble. I don't know enough about computers to understand what the trouble is, but I know this compaq has been great so far.
As far as IBM goes...They do still sell Desktops and Laptops, but I get fliers from them about these deals. Owner Priveledges Program, since my first PC was an IBM. In the latest one they offered a 1.5 Ghz P4, with 40 gig 7200rpm HD and a GeForce2 video card. It was a bit pricey though.
My next machine will be custom built by myself or a close friend with my help. That way I can learn while I build. The more I hear the more I like the idea of building my own.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:41 AM   #10
Ziroc

Quote:

70%? That seems too high to pass doesn't it.. Well, THAT 70% sucks anyway.. , I totally hate Compaq PC's.. Everything is proprietary in their PC's.. I'd either buy parts and build one, or go with Dell. Dell has always had good, non-proprietary parts--meaning you can pull a part out, like a motherboard, and put a new one in, ect...

I DO however love HP's CDR Burners and Printers/Scanners..Top notch!

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks