Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2000, 08:52 AM   #1
Belial
Welcomed New User

Hello,

there was some debate here on playing with evil alignment. Usually most players agree, that evil is always much more difficult and unrewarding. The reason is, that many haven't thought about the true meaning of evil.

First of all, the makers of PC Games usually prefer good over evil. Perhaps it selles better. But even games with evil intention don't really look and feel lile playing evil. For example I remember Dungeon Keeper: I usually more often had the feeling of rightful revenge for some wrong, that was made upon the character (= the usual Hollywood - explanation for the origin of evil!). The difficulty is, that while good is easy to display - just stop all evil plans and help the week and then get applause - evil is much more complex. That is the main reason to play evil instead of good for me. Your goals or more shady and hard to grasp. But there are three entirely different characters or ways or evil:

1. The neurotic or mad Evil. He is evil because he is mad to some degree. It may be genetic or of magical nature, but to destroy and kill brings satisfaction to him. Jack the Ripper (or the german Harmann) may have been such a personality. To play such an evil one is perhaps most hard to allow and to implement. All would clearly see that you are evil, you comrades as well as the ones you meet. Your comrades them must be equally neurotic evil, or they wouldn't follow you. And of cause you make many enemies. So it is very hard to play and makes no real sense, as you don't have a goal. You are driven by evil. In the real world you don't have control over your actions.

2. The Avenger Evil. This is the most widespread appearance of evil in the real world due to my opinion. They donT really think of the doing as evil. They think, that the world deserves it and it is necessary. In many cases they once fought for good and ideals, but failed in some way. Then they "learned" the weakness of good and hoped to use evil just as an instrument for a better world: just kill all the really bad guys, that often pretend to be good. McCarty or Hitler may have been such a personalities to the extreme. They think of an evil the world, that just exists in their imagination. And in then they think of themselves as the great purgators that must be ruthless against the evil they believe to exist. The difficulty here is, that they have to convince enough others, that their actions are just and fair and that the "threat at hand" is much more dangerous than their actions may be seen. They can use either propaganda or threat to accomplish this. That is usually the "Evil Guy" in the game, you prime enemy. The difficulty here lies in the motivation: Why would any player fight against another evil purgator, if he is one himself? Why not ally with him? And all your companions must agree to your motivations. It would lead to two entirely different games.

3. The evil pretender. He pretends to be good or harmless but uses evil as an instrument for power and satisfaction. The typical character would be Senator Palpatine of Star Wars I. No one mus know of your evil nature, so must keep it a secret. You kill and steal unseen; you ally with evil groups, but no one must know. On the outside you must seem helpful and nice. Or at least stern and just. Your companions know of your evil plans, but they are either not connected to you (like Darth Maul to Palpatine) or they hide them, too and are not known in public. This is the only way you can integrate evil for a player and allow the same complexity and integration as for good. But this still has to be made.

Our ideas (as average beings in the real world) have less understanding of the nature of evil. Good and evil always fail to understand each others motives truly.
And then there are companies that usually find "bad ends" for evil players, like New World Computing and their Might and Magic series. You never really come to rule a realm as you would as a bad guy like Palpatine. His kind of evil I really want to play someday in a game. (I'll try it at my work, perhaps ...)

Belial
Old 12-15-2000, 01:12 PM   #2
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

alright. I play as your 3rd evil. Right now i am a Kick Ass Evil Necromancer armed with Robe of Vecna Amulet of power and other cool items! He can totaly suck life out of someone's body but he normally does this.
1. Cast summon Dragon
2. Watch the rampaging Dragon kill everyone.
3. Cast Death Fog.(Automaticly kills any summoned creature)
4. Loot the bodys.
Hehehehe
Old 12-15-2000, 06:59 PM   #3
Jon the Hell Caster

wait actualy evil type 3 is more like febbelminding all the poor peasents.

Old 12-15-2000, 10:07 PM   #4
Armisael

I'd say there's another class of 'evil'; the person who is driven by wealth, power or lucre and will act if the results are beneficial for himself. A lot of people would argue that it's more neutral, but I don't really believe in such a thing as neutrality. In any case, it's very common.
Alignment is the most difficult thing to roleplay. If you have an essentially good nature, it's going to be nigh impossible to pretend you're evil, and vice versa. The hardest thing an evil character can do is try to mend his or her ways, and the most challenging thing for a good character is to kill somebody in cold blood. Personally, I think experience and rewards should be determined based on the difficulty of the task.