Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2001, 06:26 PM   #1
Dragos

i have now beaten BGII too many times. I'm looking for a new one along the same lines. Is Icewind Dale worth the money? I know I'm asking a biased crowd, here, but is it like BGII in many ways? Please excuse my extreme ignorance; I'm a Saint's fan.(That should explain everything)
Old 01-02-2001, 07:08 PM   #2
Petrarcus ap Bhaal

Well, IWD is based on an older version of the Infinity Engine. So the looks are more like BG1. This will change with the add-on Heart of Winter though. As for the game itself: it's pretty lineair, and it's more of a hack & slash then BG2 is. It's still good fun, and with the add-on coming up, I think you won't be disappointed by the game.

Petrarcus ap Bhaal.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:35 PM   #3
G.W.

It's a very good game and probably worth getting. If you're in the states you can pick up a copy very cheap on EBay (for about $10). If you play it, don't make too many characters, it gets tedious with more than four and because it's almost all dungeon crawl, you'll just get in the way of each other. There also aren't enough spells to go around for more than one mage.
Old 01-03-2001, 01:15 AM   #4
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm kinda the opposite of you, I've beaten IWD many times, and just got BG2 a few days ago But IWD is a great game, the spells are more balanced than BG or BG2, the graphics are more streamlined IMO, and the spell effects totally own those of BG2 The story isn't as involved, though there IS one, and focuses a lot more on combat. And with the $10 coupon you got from BG2, it's a steal!

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 03:28 AM   #5
Khanar Tor'vel

Finally. Somebody who agrees with me on spell effects in IWd being better than BG2's for the most part. I thought it was so lame that the BG2 team used a lot of the same effects for normal stuff that we had in BG, without updating their looks. I also think the graphics in general are better in IWD than in BG2.
Old 01-03-2001, 01:49 PM   #6
G.W.

I'll admit Icewind graphics were faster. There are also a lot more items. But one thing that doesn't look promising is the fact that the expansion's preview graphics show that they are importing the BG II graphic models. Miniskirts for the female casters in subzero temperatures.
Old 01-04-2001, 08:19 PM   #7
Petrarcus ap Bhaal

Agreed: the Inventory-page avatars of BG2 are not half as good as the BG1/IWD ones. This is just my opinion, but I know I don't stand alone in it... I really hope they'll change them quick for BG2 too. Anyway, I still think BG2 is the better game of the two, because of its variaty. There are much more subquests and far more NPC's to interact with.

Petrarcus ap Bhaal.
Old 01-08-2001, 06:11 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I agree, the linear plot got a bit frustrating for me. I like the pick and choose feel of BG2. Couldn't stand the 'Paper Dolls' of BG2 though.

Well worth getting though. Long live Faerun.
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 05:15 PM   #9
Ertai, Wizard Adept

- The spell effects are WAY better in BG2 than IWD IMO. Have you cast a simple fear in BG" ?? Or a faith armor (cleric)?? The only better thing about spells in IWD is the small picture in the mage book

- The IWD story and interaction totally SUCK. In Bg2 you are playing and everytime you complete a subquest you ask yourself how would react the NPCs and the quest itself if you were a paladin, or if you were evil, or if you were a gnome. In BG2 every subquest has different ways to complete it, and every character you can build gets different task to do (strongholds for example)

IMO, there is no doubt: BG2 is the best.

PS: Petrarcus, did you receive my email or have you changed your address ?? I used the one in your profile.
Old 01-10-2001, 08:04 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

IWD was my first computer RPG and I loved it. I finally got a computer that actually ran it worth a shit. BGII I did next. Two very different games but both outstanding. Is IWD worth buying? HELL YES! Pre-order Heart of Winter while your at it. I'm tappin my framing hammer just-a-waitin....
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote