Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2002, 03:21 PM   #11
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Leafy:
The Gnomish Cleric/illusionist is cool because he can wear a "gomes and halflings only" helmet that keeps him from ever getting tired. (very cool when casting Haste)
The Half-elf Cleric/Ranger is arguably the most powerful class as they get most Clerical and Druid spells (but not ALL); have an extra attack when no shield is equipped, and gain a +4 when attacking their 'racial enemy' (best to choose some form of undead; i like skeletal)
A Fighter Dualed into a druid is cool (should have HoW installed); but as stated, the stats need to be real high. I'm trying one right now with a Dex of only 11. However, there's a 2nd level spell that raises dex as high as 20; so no worries.
Bards rock in HoW as well. After a certain point they max out and just sing that same old song over and over. Early in the game, however, they are powerful masters of the 1st and 2nd level spells.
A Druid and Bard are good to have on a team together.

There really isn't much descrimination between the races except for a few items. mostly it's "humans only" or "elves only". Half-elves can usually use both categories. There are a few "dwarf only" and "halfling only".. but not many.
I've seen a few Dwaf/halfling only items, but I've never seen Elf only or Human only..
Tanoch Thas'ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
Nifft the Nimble

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoch Thas'ala:
I've seen a few Dwaf/halfling only items, but I've never seen Elf only or Human only..
Hmm, I guess this is part of the joy of random item generation.

Anyone have a set of tables about what sort of stuff can be generated?

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:29 AM   #13
StarVid
Elminster

Here's a tip, don't have more than six total classes in the party (multi-classes count as 2 or 3). Leveling up is really slow, and painfully annoying when you have a lot of low level people (you're better off with fewer higher level people.

Here's the party I have now.

Human Paladin
Elven Fighter/Thief (the halfling doesn't get strength higher than 18/xx)
Human Fighter dualed at level 3 to a cleric
Elven Druid
Human Necromancer
Half-elven bard

I know, I have a total of 7 classes, but I wanted to create a party with all the classes to experiment with all their talents. I'd like to cut down to a party of like 4, but I've never done that and it's hard for me to concieve my typical 2 front liners, 1 mage, 1 thief, 1 cleric into a party of 4. Here are some posibilities:

Dwarven Fighter
Halfling Fighter/Thief
Elven Mage
Dwarven Cleric

The dwarves have big resistances to magic (and I think halflings do too), or so I hear. I rarely play with either so I don't think I'd know. Still here we have 5 classes, which isn't much better than 6 or 7. To cut it down to four total classes, this might work.

Human Paladin
Halfling Fighter/Thief
Elven Druid

the Paladin gets priest spells eventually. In the meantime, the druid can handle the healing. Plus, the druid has some pretty solid offensive magic.

But like I said, I've never played a 4 class or character party, though I'd love to hear what other people did.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:49 PM   #14
AuraMancer
Dungeon Master

Druis rock!
I'm trying this party now(have It for 6 month now)
Lady Elzpet-Palladin lvl 15 with large swords
Wulverine-fighter lvl16 with 5+ on Two-handed swords and 2+ in Halberd
Boras Celestias-Fighter/Cleric lvl 15/15 2+ in mace
Diana-Cleric lvl 17 2+ in mace
Isia Rai-Thief/DC/Mage lvl 19/22! with points in short bow
Niksuez-Druid lvl 30!!!!!!I've worked very hard on him

This party is working well, but I'm stuck on the Isle of death(???) against those annoying undeads(my druid helps alot)

Mostly my party's are priest-heavy, like this party(4 healers)
But still this party works fine, not really balanced I think, but games really speed up with 4 healers.
I think druis are a must for every party, because they have so much cool spells and stuff,

I advice you to put an single class half-elf Cleric in your party, and also a fighter/cleric(either dual our multy class)

B*B,
N!]<
Old 04-14-2002, 08:36 AM   #15
Laurentius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ever tried a priest in a small party ?
Burial isle is a joke with a high levelled priest.

The druid's summon spells are very nice. Therefore i like to play them.

Imho Archers are essential for fast gaming.
Laurentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 10:43 AM   #16
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

Heres a rockin' party,I beat the game with this team,
Fighter,Ranger,Paladin,Druid,Mage,and Cleric.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:09 PM   #17
StarVid
Elminster

Quote:
Hell yeah! I would not play any party without a priest. In fact, I keep all my priest as single class (or dualed from fighters at a low level) because they get some kick ass spells. At higher levels, when all the baddies are making their saves from my slow, emotion, etc. spells my cleric saves the day. Rather than trying to de-buff the baddies, I can major buff my party. I had casted protection from evil 10', a prayer, followed by a chant in dragon's eye level 5 and my party was just tearing through everything.

Actually, I think I'll go start a thread about small parties now...
Old 04-14-2002, 09:42 PM   #18
zakharak
The Magister

Laurentius
Quote:
Burial isle is a joke with a high levelled priest.
Well, sounds like a breath thru for you! I have stopped playing HOW because of those animals on the top level on Burial Isle. My priest/fighter is about level 7 or 8 in both catagories, and I GUESS that i still haven't used him in the game! I mean i do for healing after the battles, and occasionally for casting some "defensive harmony" (which by the way is a sick spell), but what is it that he has that i can use to defeat those bears and wolves?

Is it just that he doesn't have level 7 priest spells?

lata