Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 10:28 AM   #11
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
That's like saying "Do you believe in the Human race" ... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, "Do other life forms EXIST outside of Earth" ? VERY much a yes. VERY much....
And how can you be so sure about that Ziroc? I mean; the equation which computes the chance of life forms existing outside of Earth is so complex (starting with the chance of a sun with planets, then planets which allow life, the chance that life develops).. It's just.. I don't know. On the one side I WANT to believe in aliens, but on the other side it's so hard to do it.[/QUOTE]It is quite silly and very arrogant to think WE are the only life forms in the Universe. Plus, this theory (repeat-theory) is based on OXYGEN breathing life forms. Which is again, arrogant.

There are life forms out there that breathe SULFUR! I mean.. to think we're the only thing.. come on. [img]smile.gif[/img] Humans are not even a type 1 civilization yet.... lol!

[ 02-17-2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 02-17-2003, 10:29 AM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
In the whole Universe, with it's thousands upon thousands of galaxies and billions upon billions of planets there MUST be anothe planet that holds an alien race (whether they are single cell organisms, multi cell or even something beyond human comprehension). I believe they're definitly out there, but whether we (the human race) encounters an alien race within the next thousand years or so is VERY unlikely.

...The truth is out there.
You said it brotha! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 10:39 AM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I believe in all the aliens flooding our borders every single day.

But, since we have evidence of microbial life existing on mars, I certainly think extra-terrestrial aliens exist.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #14
Link
Jack Burton

IMHO it's absolutely not silly or arrogant to think we're the only ones in the universe. Why would we think otherwise? There hasn't been a single clue of life existing outside of Earth. And that's what scientists do: they state something, and that hypothesis is held until somebody proves it false.

Why is one and one two? Not because it simply is the way it is, but because we haven't proven yet that it's not true, so we agreed on that matter with each other. Same goes for life existing elsewhere. Until discovered, it's not there. In my honest opinion of course.

[ 02-17-2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
IMHO it's absolutely not silly or arrogant to think we're the only ones in the universe. Why would we think otherwise? There hasn't been a single clue of life existing outside of Earth. And that's what scientists do: they state something, and that hypothesis is held until somebody proves it false.

Why is one and one two? Not because it simply is the way it is, but because we haven't proven yet that it's not true, so we agreed on that matter with each other. Same goes for life existing elsewhere. Until discovered, it's not there. In my honest opinion of course.
So atoms didn't exist until they were discovered? Pluto didn't exist until it was discovered? Just checking. Your theory sounds like spontaneous generation.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #16
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Statistically its probable that there is life out there of some form.

Wasnt there a scientific theory that thought that the asteroid that whiped out the dinosaurs hit mars and earth and carried the DNA or whatnot the created life as we know it today?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #17
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

For creationalists, its not arrogent. For evolutionists, it most certianly is.
Of course, no matter how you look at it, its all faith right?

I think that there is life of some kind out there somewhere, its evolution is another question. It could be so far more advanced than us, that it has already expired (mars for example ), or far behind us, thats its still in a single cell stage (saturn maybe? [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img] ). Whatever the answer, somethings out there in my book, and I think maybe even has been here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-17-2003, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 02-17-2003, 11:52 AM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

Some random notes:

Lord K - there are creationists who DO believe in the possibility of alien life, y'know? It strikes me how quick you always are to highlight differences between Christians and atheists. Creationists naturally believe in the Biblical seven-day Creation of the world. But some of them also say that since the Bible doesn't say anything about the rest of the universe, it's very possible that aliens do exist.
You also said that for evolutionists, it *is* arrogant. Why? I think evolution is the most likely theory I've heard, so I guess I'm an evolutionist. Not sure what else I should be pigeonholed as, but I don't think it would be as a Christian. And yet, I don't find it arrogant at all to believe aliens probably don't exist. How is that arrogant?? You may disagree with it, you may think it's foolish, but why arrogant? Because you AUTOMATICALLY assume that people who don't believe in aliens do so because they think nothing as good as humans can exist? Because they think in human terms of oxygen-breathing, humanoid aliens? I don't think they do, not all of them.

In general, just because something is has a very high chance of being true, doesn't make it irrefutably so. Just because the universe is big beyond reckoning, doesn't mean there HAS to be life in it other than ours.
I certainly don't exclude the possibility, but I don't mind if people don't believe in it. And I certainly don't think it arrogant.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Quote:

So atoms didn't exist until they were discovered? Pluto didn't exist until it was discovered? Just checking. Your theory sounds like spontaneous generation.[/QUOTE]Exactly what I was gonna say. Human kind has yet to even tap 1% of whats out there..
BTW Link, there is 'life' out there, remember the Mars rock found? And now, they say Mars has an ocean of water-they said it didn't have water just a few years ago. So hang on, your 'proof' is coming...

Old 02-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #20
Irongrinder

My brother is an alien, does that count as well?