Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
bucmeister
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Those dang Iron Golems. I had no idea they were so tough. My thief goes right up and takes all the goodies out of the box the Golems are guarding beneath the Monastery. I wasn't worried about a few little Golems.

So they precede to tear my little party a new one. I flee the scene back up the stairs to regroup and memorize some more helpful spells. Here is where I made my critical mistake. I saved as soon as I got up the steps and rested.

So now when I go back down the stairs the Golems and their acid clouds are waiting on me and immediately start whooping up on my little party again. These are some tough mofo's. I have no time to cast spells or do anything before my wizard is killed off. Once he is dead I just give up.

I decided to back track back to the old village to pick up that acid resistance spell I didn't think I needed. It's a fifth level spell so my wizard will only be able to memorize three of them. Doesn't do much good for my other three guys.

So I went back even further to the Battlesquare room to try to get some more powerful magic items. At this point I only have one mace +3 that can do anything against those Iron Golems. Hopefully I'll pick up at least one more +3 weapon, because I'm in a world of hurt right now.

I completed the first three ranks of the battlesquare and got some nice goodies. My druid is doing fairly well, though he get's stepped on a lot by the Frost Giant, he still can kill him off. But that dang Greater Werewolf. What a monster! Dude is so fast my hasted druid just can't get off on him and he kills me every time.

I'll try again tomorrow. Between the Battlesquare and the Iron Golems, I don't know which is tougher.

Suggestions are welcome.
bucmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
lethoso
Manshoon

lots of zombie lords/greater drowned dead are good against the golems if you have a cleric or a mage to cast them...

as for the battlesquare, try laying some skull traps or glyphs of warding before you go in, they can help take down a monster or two... mages are good for the earlier battlesquare levels, as they can deal stacks of damage fairly fast...
Old 03-31-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
bucmeister
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by lethoso:
lots of zombie lords/greater drowned dead are good against the golems if you have a cleric or a mage to cast them...

as for the battlesquare, try laying some skull traps or glyphs of warding before you go in, they can help take down a monster or two... mages are good for the earlier battlesquare levels, as they can deal stacks of damage fairly fast...
My major problem with the Golems is they are on me dealing damage as soon as I walk back down the stairs. My wizard died within two rounds. If I cast my summons and an acid resistance spell before going back down the stairs, hopefully I'll be able to sneak my wizard out into the open, away from all the damage. Otherwise I'm just going to have to put him in a globe of invulerability and let him sit it out. Same with my thief who those golems just chase around.

Still, I have a major problem in that my weapons are all useless except for my one mace.

As for the battlesquare...good idea on the skull trap. I should kill at least one monster with it. My druid seems to do the best with his nice area effect spells followed up with clubbing the hell out of his opponents, or shapechanging to direbear.

What works good on the Greater Werewolf? He even tore up my 12 level fighter Dwarf with 20 strength. Tough SOB.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:39 AM   #4
lethoso
Manshoon

reloads work good on the greater werewolf....
Old 04-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

As for the Golems, I would advise you not to move your entire party onto the plateau. Let your Rogue pick the lock on the chest, but don't have him grab the loot yet. Position your party a small distance from the plateau and buff your toughest warrior as good as you can. Move him onto the plateau, summon all the monsters you can onto there as well, and have your warrior open the chest and pick up the goodies. This way, the Golems will go after your Fighter and your summons, and leave your weak party members alone. With a bit of luck and a lot of healing potions and spells, you should be able to topple them like this.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #6
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

J'aran, the problem is that he saved I have some advice. Cast Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Blur, and Stoneskin with your Wizard as pre-buffs, assuming you have the spells. (Scrolls are notoriously hard to get by in this game) Keep on using Mirror Image to stay alive, only using Animate Dead if you're sure that you'll stay alive. The Druid, meanwhile, just keeps using Static Charge. Make sure that whoever you're using to attack the Golems physically has +3 weapons. A person in the Underdark has a whole lot of them.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

As for Greater Werewolves, I've beaten the Battle Square before, but it was a real SoaB. Elementals are harder, if you don't have the Mace of Disruption, or if they refuse to roll ones for their saves. Greater Werewolves? Just keep hitting them, as fast as you can, as hard as you can. If you have some better enchanted weapons, now is the time to use them.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:40 PM   #8
bucmeister
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
J'aran, the problem is that he saved I have some advice. Cast Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, Blur, and Stoneskin with your Wizard as pre-buffs, assuming you have the spells. (Scrolls are notoriously hard to get by in this game) Keep on using Mirror Image to stay alive, only using Animate Dead if you're sure that you'll stay alive. The Druid, meanwhile, just keeps using Static Charge. Make sure that whoever you're using to attack the Golems physically has +3 weapons. A person in the Underdark has a whole lot of them.
Thanks. Yes my major error was saving once I went up the stairs so they are waiting on me. I can't do anything about that unless I go way back and redo a lot of the story again. I hate reloading, I try to do it as little as possible.

After I defeat the battle square (if I defeat the battle square) I will definitely follow your advice. My wizard will need some major protection just to get by the Golems acid cloud and bludgeoning damage. Same for my thief.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

don't know why nobody notice this but " disintegrate " works well against construct such as golem.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 07:21 AM   #10
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Apparantly, you hammer golems with +4 weapons, but I've not tried yet, Metal Elf has.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote