Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

This weekend I bought this record again after I lost it 18 months ago. What a great display of production genius. Pity about the lyrics . Anyway the guitars, loops, drumming, vocals and energy make it a compelling listening experience for me. Makes me want to drive really fast. Or smash a drum kit myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I initially owned this record during a period in my life when I was filled with rage. I had recently seperated from my wife of seven years, was in the middle of a destructive romantic relationship with a 'troubled artiste', had just left the colleges I was teaching at because I was not dealing with the emotional pressure. There were days when I was furious with God, furious with my ex-wife, furious with my girlfriend. I remember driving down a hill in Sydney's northern beaches ready to explode while listening to this record. I was surrounded by beauty but dark on the inside.

I eventually lost the record in Singapore. A place that changed my life.

Anyhow, it's interesting listening to music that meant something at a different time, and comparing it to how you are now. The record has totally different significance for me. Sometimes music has taken me back to particular times and places. There is a Chicane CD and a Donna Lewis CD I cannot listen to because they take me back to moments of despair and heartache I was feeling while listening to them initially.

But I'm listening to this one with a totally different headspace. I was listening to it as I drove up from Philadelphia on the weekend, with a close friend of mine. Now I'm associating it with that experience, and the inherant complexities of that experience.

Funny all that.

[ 01-28-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
Gammit
Elminster

I've had similar experiences where, in the past, I had played a record so much that I began to associate the music with a particular person, or point, in my life. Going back and listening to those records now brings back some really interesting (thought not as much as yours) memories. I don't own that particular Filter CD, but rather, their first. I take it you recommend this one?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:19 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Gammit:
I've had similar experiences where, in the past, I had played a record so much that I began to associate the music with a particular person, or point, in my life. Going back and listening to those records now brings back some really interesting (thought not as much as yours) memories. I don't own that particular Filter CD, but rather, their first. I take it you recommend this one?
I'd recommend it definitely. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2003, 06:19 AM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
This weekend I bought this record again after I lost it 18 months ago. What a great display of production genius. Pity about the lyrics . Anyway the guitars, loops, drumming, vocals and energy make it a compelling listening experience for me. Makes me want to drive really fast. Or smash a drum kit myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I initially owned this record during a period in my life when I was filled with rage. I had recently seperated from my wife of seven years, was in the middle of a destructive romantic relationship with a 'troubled artiste', had just left the colleges I was teaching at because I was not dealing with the emotional pressure. There were days when I was furious with God, furious with my ex-wife, furious with my girlfriend. I remember driving down a hill in Sydney's northern beaches ready to explode while listening to this record. I was surrounded by beauty but dark on the inside.

Anyhow, it's interesting listening to music that meant something at a different time, and comparing it to how you are now. The record has totally different significance for me. Sometimes music has taken me back to particular times and places. There is a Chicane CD and a Donna Lewis CD I cannot listen to because they take me back to moments of despair and heartache I was feeling while listening to them initially.

But I'm listening to this one with a totally different headspace. I was listening to it as I drove up from Philadelphia on the weekend, with a close friend of mine. Now I'm associating it with that experience, and the inherant complexities of that experience.

Funny all that.
Now Yorick this is just so damn coincidental it's freaky!
I too was really into this exact same album when I was going through a 'perpetually pissed-off' phase (most of the year 2000), and have only just started listening to it again now. I was angry mainly for the same reasons as you (a long-term love breakup), and the whole time I listened to this album I couldn't get the girl in question out of my mind, and it nearly drove me insane! Wasn't a good start to my University study That seems like a long time ago, and nowadays all of those feelings are just distant memories, but it's amazing how listening to music from an 'era' of your life can bring it all flooding back. S'weird.

BTW, the song 'It's gonna kill me' really struck a nerve at the time [img]smile.gif[/img]

You have good taste in music bro [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'd love to hear you play sometime, if I'm ever in New York I'll be sure to get in touch [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-29-2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:13 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Funny all that.
Now Yorick this is just so damn coincidental it's freaky!
I too was really into this exact same album when I was going through a 'perpetually pissed-off' phase (most of the year 2000), and have only just started listening to it again now. I was angry mainly for the same reasons as you (a long-term love breakup), and the whole time I listened to this album I couldn't get the girl in question out of my mind, and it nearly drove me insane! Wasn't a good start to my University study That seems like a long time ago, and nowadays all of those feelings are just distant memories, but it's amazing how listening to music from an 'era' of your life can bring it all flooding back. S'weird.

BTW, the song 'It's gonna kill me' really struck a nerve at the time [img]smile.gif[/img]

You have good taste in music bro [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'd love to hear you play sometime, if I'm ever in New York I'll be sure to get in touch [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]DO! That would be cool mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Yorick! Glad you found the music and can relate to it on another level now! It's kind of nice when something touches you like a particular piece of music or art. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2003, 08:48 AM   #7
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I would like them so much better if it wasn't for the lead singer's voice.

I don't understand why everyone compares them to Nine Inch Nails. Sure some of them once worked in NIN and probably learned the odd trick or two, but they're really quite different.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:05 AM   #8
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

YORICK! [img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] , I think we found something we can discuss without a debate!
I have not played in a band for sometime(see link in sig for reasons) and when I put in old recordings of us, it really takes me back. [img]smile.gif[/img]
On your note, pretty much all of "Smashing Pumkins, Siamese Dream" is a heartbreak rush.
"Gish" on the other hand is a great funtime rush. Wierd.

By the way, have you ever heard of Jeff Buckley?

[ 01-30-2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 01-30-2003, 12:57 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
By the way, have you ever heard of Jeff Buckley?
Of course. [img]smile.gif[/img] I used to get a lot of Buckleyesque work as a session singer in Sydney. HAd to sound like him. He's a latter influence so it's cool. What a tragedy..

Old 01-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
I would like them so much better if it wasn't for the lead singer's voice.

I don't understand why everyone compares them to Nine Inch Nails. Sure some of them once worked in NIN and probably learned the odd trick or two, but they're really quite different.
Filters guitarist was in NIN. "Learned a trick or two" is not really the right description. He was a contributor to NINs sound, and took his contributions into Filter.

I've been listening to NINs last double album a lot as well over the last two days, although I only seem to have the "left" side... bummer. Can't find the other one. Anyhow the 'spirit' of the music is very similar. The moods and dark energy. Nihlism is found in both bands. This is despite variances in production, melodies and topics. Incredible really. Such similarity crossing over such differences.

Music truly is a language of the soul.

I worry about Trent Reznors soul....