Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #31
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Attalus-sorry to break it to you-Japan has the best universities. Along with the most productive country (the citizens there produce more) and the highest suicide rate (because they're so productive. They have no holidays or weekends, I think)(We did it in Geography...yuchies...).
Well, Kaltia, I cannot speak to Japanese universities - except that I wrote part of a textbook for the UNU located there.

But, as for the productivity stats, these are 1980's figures, and was all the hubbub when I was in college. But, just the other day I saw the following figures:
- US workers now average more hours per week than Japanese, especially in salaried positions (note that in Germany there is a 35-hr work week - what have they figured out that we haven't?)
- Since 1990, the number of hours the Japanese take off of work for golf has increased roughly 6000%. I call this Americanization, a friend calls it Europeanization. Whatever.
- I can't speak to the suicide rate, other than to note, as Emil Durkheim did, that it is high in high-stress high-work-pressure countries like Japan. But, he also noted the suicide rate was very high in countries where darkness persists for much of the year - Norway being the example.

Personally, I've worked in other countries, and for better or worse we Americans are the busiest little worker bees on the planet at the current point in time.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:25 AM   #32
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Private schooling is banned in Peurto rico, And look at how well they turned out, sure 75% of the island is a slum, but the remaining % is mansions and gated communities right next to the slums! The poor and rich seem to get along just fine, and hey, college over there is free too! [img]tongue.gif[/img] And they've got a Wal-mart! Lucky bastards... oh right education...

now where does HOME schooling fall into all of this hmmm?
Old 02-06-2003, 11:14 AM   #33
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Seeing as I have been argued against (and I can't stand that) I'll just resort to my traditional saying in serious discussions: Awww, nuts.

[ 02-06-2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:18 AM   #34
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Ban that too. A person has NO business trying to impart their skewed view of knowledge to their kids. ONLY a government bureaucrat should be allowed to teach! I understand home schooling worked for centuries, but simply read H. Clinton's book "It Takes a Village" and you will understand that in the modern era you are NOT capable of raising your children without the helping hand of big government.

This rant brought to you by http://www.tounge-in-cheek.com
Old 02-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #35
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Ban that too. A person has NO business trying to impart their skewed view of knowledge to their kids. ONLY a government bureaucrat should be allowed to teach! I understand home schooling worked for centuries, but simply read H. Clinton's book "It Takes a Village" and you will understand that in the modern era you are NOT capable of raising your children without the helping hand of big government.

This rant brought to you by http://www.tounge-in-cheek.com
[/QUOTE]Glad you saidthe tongue in check part. I didn't relish seeing your head handed to you by some stay at home mom, who happens to home school her children. Personally, I don't think Home Schooling is a good idea.
There just isn't enough human interaction to suit me in a Home School environment.

Luckily, we live near a top-notch elementary school district, so I don't need to spend the money on private school, otherwise I'd be a lot poorer!

TL, I'm not sure that Rural school districts are all that good, especailly in Tennessee. Here in this state, the small city school systems are the better ones, such as oak Ridge, Knoxville and Maryville/Alcoa. The larger school systems don't seem to be as good.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #36
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, Timber. I am sure that Hillary is out there composing a hate letter to you. And you a Damnocrat, too. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 01:59 PM   #37
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sir T, I know several people who homeschool their kids and at least in this state (NY) they are required to meet with others for some things like physical education. So they do have interactive days on a regular basis. My priest's wife homeschools the kids til they are ready for public school and considering all their remaining 10 kids are foster children they've adopted (the older ones are a mix of two natural children and several grown fostered children), they do pretty darned well, getting them integrated into 'society' after the hellacioius beginnings some of them had (neglected, beaten, born of alcholic mothers, addicts etc).

I definitely see the homeschooling works in their cases. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #38
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yes, Cloudy, the last study that I saw, homeschooled kids do just as well academiclly as those sent to class. In Texas, they are not forced to get together with anything but a computer, so a lot of fundamentalist Christian children are homeschooled. Of course, the public schools loathe and despise the movement, since they don't get the state capitation money. One homeschooled lad, Piestrider's best friend since they were babies together, has never set foot in a school. The only thing he misses is athletics.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:11 PM   #39
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
We do have the highest rate of foreign students entering to go to Universities, here.
Being a statistic is always fun [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #40
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
We do have the highest rate of foreign students entering to go to Universities, here.
Being a statistic is always fun [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]*smacks* Alex, hon, do me a favour and agree with me...you're supposed to be my bodyguard and all....*crys*

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.