Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Read and find out
Old 08-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

The owners and players have both pissed me off enough. I used to love baseball. I loved the slow pace of the game, the righty-lefty pitching changes, the pinch hitters, Mcqwire breaking 62, Cal Ripken Jr. and the streak, The Big Red Machice, the bash brothers. Baseball has so much great tradition, just in the short period of time since I have been alive, but all has it has been overshadowed, by all the garbage going on between the owners and the players. I mean its all millionaires squabbling over how many more times over they are going to be millionaires before the quit playing/sell the team. It completely disgraceful that people paid millions to play a game, ruin people's love for that game over pure greed. I've been keeping up on it and I have been reading the articles on it and I am just getting mroe and more disgusted by all of it. Baseball has lost at least one fan over this, and they haven't even went on strike yet, but even if they don;t I can't see myself getting into a sport again that could just as easy go on strike again for all of next year or the year after. Knowing the true motivations of most of the players now it can't help but ruin the entire sport for me. I can't say that I will ever watch baseball again. I'm just glad football season is starting so maybe we can put the foolishness of professional baseball behind us.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

It's hard to be concerned when the players have millions of dollars and the owners have billions. Haven't thought much about baseball since I was a kid.

If baseball players go on strike? It won't affect me one bit...sorry.

Mark
Old 08-27-2002, 08:18 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I remember the last strike and they lost a lot of goodwill back then. I can't believe they're talking about another strike so soon. Aren't the fans worth nothing at all ?
Old 08-27-2002, 10:39 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I remember the last strike and they lost a lot of goodwill back then. I can't believe they're talking about another strike so soon. Aren't the fans worth nothing at all ?
Apparantly not, Johnny.

As has already been mentioned, these guys are ALL millionaires many times over, and the owners are billionaires...yet they demand that the TAXPAYERS (ie the fans), keep building them newer, bigger, and fancier stadiums. This is usually done through various means...including RAISING the local property tax value!

The fact that the owners could pay for the stadium out of their pocket is apparantly lost on them. Ted Turner is the ONLY one to actually pay for his own stadium.

But this is not limited to baseball - football and basketball are JUST as bad. Every year, the college rookies "hold out" for contract negotiations and refuse to report to camp in football.

Basketball threatens to strike just as much as baseball. Personally, I hardly ever watch ANY sports any more...other than the final showdowns (World Series, Superbowl, and NBA Finals). My favorite tournament will always be the NCAA MARCH MADNESS!!! At least SOME of those kids still are just playing for the love of the game.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:58 AM   #6
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Bunch of over payed goober's if you ask me, it is a game for heavens sake and the extreme's that people go to for it is ludicrus IMO.
Then we elevate some of these players to an almost godlike status and then get po'd when they are aressted for drunken brawling, spouse abuse, drug's etc...
I think they need to have a different salary range, like something below 6 figure's. I work in Tampa Bay and get to meet many of these athlete's. Some are actually upstanding people, good role models and dont let there money go to there head. But then there are those who think there all that and a bag of chip's and a drink. I have been cut off while driving by these idiot's, cursed at and even spat on by one who was meaning to spit on someone else because of what they said to him, then he told me to @#$% myself. This one of the many reason's why I dont watch any of the games or buy ticket's to them. With that kind of fame and money comes a hefty responsability whether they want it or not. They are role model's for many a child, heck when I was young I got to do hitting practice with Reggie Jackson, that was really cool and one time I got to throw a few with Pete Rose. But as I was saying these men are role model's for the younger generation and if they see them getting drunk and what have you they may or may not want to be the same way. I think I may have strayed from my point here but I think you get the gist of it.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
Keraptisdm
Elminster

The average player's salary is 2.4 million USD and they want ME to agree with their position?!? "I think not!" I love baseball, but the greed of the players (and the owners) is appalling. A salary cap has to be imposed, otherwise the small market teams (like my beloved Pirates) can never be competitive. The price of tickets and food/beverages at the ballpark is astronomical. I received four complimentary tickets and a parking pass to a Pirates game this year. The face value for the tickets was $27 each, plus $12 for the parking pass. Total of $120 just to walk into the gate. Souvenirs, food & beverages was about $50. Add the gas to get there and it can cost a family of four $200 to go to a game!!
I love baseball but if the players go on strike, it will be a VERY long time before I go to another Major League game. I love going to the Minor League games, where the most expensive ticket is $8. The players actually try hard and the food is less expensive also. It costs less than $70 total to attend the Minor League game.