Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2001, 03:55 PM   #1
judee
Dungeon Master

I'm just wondering. Seems I almost never do use them. They just keep adding up in my inventory. I'm wondering if it would be okay to sell some of the lesser ones, just keep a few heavy heals or special things around just in case.

I mean, does anyone ever take the time in the middle of battle to use a potion to cure nausea or whatever? To use them you have to keep them in the individual players backpack, and with just a few slots available, I'd rather keep other things equipped, like bombs to throw, etc.

Not to mention that bards and gadgeteers need the space for theit instruments and gadgets.

So, who out there does use potions a lot, and which ones. Any favorites I might be overlooking?

judee
judee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 04:06 PM   #2
April Ryan
Dungeon Master

seldom.. the only ones that are useful to my party.. are cure disease and cure poison.. the rest i sell them..

anyway.. if u have a bishop or alchemist in ur party merge the potions first b4 selling to the shopkeepers..

i dunno all the formula, but one which fetch good price is hv. heal potions.. u merge them by using light heal and mod heal.
April Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 04:10 PM   #3
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

I typically have cure lesser condition of some kind on my fighter types and my rogue and ranger. Only reason being is, if I get into a big fight, characters are bleeding all over the place, and priest is out of Divination magic and I go to camp and rest to recover a little (thinking I won't get attacked), and lo and behold, surprise, surprise, 3 golems find me and wanna pick a fight, along with some Siges or something; if they get some kinda sickness and my priest doesn't have the magic to cure it, I use those potions. But usually no more than 1 or 2 of those potions on their possession; the rest is arrows, cherry bombs, etc.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:10 PM   #4
Moni

I keep everyone stocked with a couple of heavy heals for just in case purposes and a couple of cure poisons and pickmeup potions for the same reason.

Others that I hang onto and use are Razor Cloak, Superman, Dracon Breath and Granite potions. I keep these mainly on my fighters since they are out front and exposed to close combat strikes and use them when I have a round of distance between us and the enemy to prepare for the fight (usually Juggernauts and other big nasties)

Sometimes when your characters are poisoned or nauseated, it makes them succeptible to being dealt more powerful blows by whatever they are up against (first sickness, then disease on the next strike at them or first poisoned and then KILLED) and if you walk into a new battle sickened, the sick character seems (to me anyway) to be a target for more and possible severe damage so I do hestitate when someone is sick to let them get over it. It all really depends on what you are up against as far as the second strike doing more damage really and I do take my chances lol.

Early on in the game, it might be a good idea to hang onto a couple of Cure Disease potions and maybe some Cure Light Conditions, not to mention moderate to heavy stamina for characters that use a lot per round.

I know what you mean about the Gadgeteer though...same with the Bard.
It's not always a handy option to use a round equipping something you know will be effective out of your party's inventory! Luckily, Priests and Bishops learn cure light condidtion (nausea), cure poison, cure disease, cure paralysis, stamina, rest all, heal, heal all and superman so the need to carry all that stuff around become less necessary as you go along.

There are also other classes that learn Razor Cloak and Dracon Breath but right offhand I can't remember who in my game has them...I think it is the Ninja.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:18 PM   #5
vesselle
Hathor

i use them ALL the time. i keep pickmeup or restoration, razor cloak or dracon breath and stamina pots in everyone's window, altho it's getting awful with my bard. it seems i only have enough room for hvy stam for her now.
oh yeah! don't forget "magic nectar" in both my caster's inventory, too, and i try to keep a cure poison if the space allows it.

i dislike wasting 1 round to "equip" then a second round to drink. so, this is the best solution for me. i also keep spare arrows/stones/shuriken (depending on whose inventory it is).

i have been running into really looooooong battles and before we can med, having another battle find me! with my priest pooping out in the middle of a second or third attack, this is how the other girls help her out.

i love all the potions! i try them all out, too, so i can see what happens with all of them.

V***V
Old 12-09-2001, 08:34 PM   #6
Moni

Oooo! I forgot about the magic nectars and the potions of restoration!
Yes, my mage absolutely hordes Magic nectars!
We were able to play for three straight days (game time) with no rest because of magic nectars and rest all spells/scrolls
*chuckle*

I also keep potions of restoration in the party inventory for "just in case purposes"
Old 12-09-2001, 09:09 PM   #7
Merkin
Manshoon

I also use stamina potions a LOT on my Bard, blowing those pipies can really take it out of a Mook, ya know? Evry one carries cure disease, and heavy/medium heals, just in case, but haven't needed them that much. I've also learned to have everyone carry smelling salts. My priest used to carry all of them, then she got slept along with half the party one battle. Barely made it through that one.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:11 AM   #8
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

As with most games I play, I horde potions, scrolls, wands, and other limited use items for when I really need them. Ususally this translates to a huge inventory of these items at the end of a game. I am trying to break myself of this.

I do use Magic Nectar, Ressurection Scrolls and Powder, an the occaisional smelling salt. I do keep 5 Heavy Heal potions on every person just in case but I think I have only had to use them once. I do have a large collection of misc. scrolls, potions, and dusts that I swear I will sell someday but never do. You never know when you just might need them.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote