Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

hi everyone. I'm back again. hope you're all doing well

i am doing a solo mage at the moment and am at level 16 and about to continue onto chapter 4. I haven't cast the spell 'find familiar' yet because of the percieved danger of losing a constitution point. I am going quite well without a familiar and am wondering if anybody can tell me if there is any real merit in summoning the familiar. I mean it does sound cool because my character is chaotic good and i could have a fairy dragon following me around but is it quite easy to get your familiar killed? and is there any way to unsummon it? all in all... is it worth it? lol

thanks,

also could anybody tell me the whereabouts of a 'scroll of morderkien's sword' and a 'wail of the banchee' scroll are in SOA. That would also be of great help.

Cheers
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Summon the familiar now. The bonus HP are really useful.

You can keep familiar in backpack (ie inventory). This takes up only 1 inventory slot and you no longer risk familiar dying.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The only time you would concievably actually use your Familiar for combat purposes is in Irenicus's dungeon, or similar low-risk areas. Seriously, a single Critical Hit can instakill a Familiar sometimes, so for all intents and purposes, the only reason to cast the spell is for the extra hitpoints: Your Familiar will never leave your backpack again.

Mordy's Sword is a random drop, keep killing things and you'll find one eventually. Wail of the Banshee can only be obtained in Chapter 6, someplace in Athkatla where you have already been.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
The only time you would concievably actually use your Familiar for combat purposes is in Irenicus's dungeon, or similar low-risk areas. Seriously, a single Critical Hit can instakill a Familiar sometimes, so for all intents and purposes, the only reason to cast the spell is for the extra hitpoints: Your Familiar will never leave your backpack again.

For me the reason I dont use familiar in combat is not because he is weak. I could still use him, having him chase weaker opponents or spellcasters or cast spells (if he has any).

The reason I dont use a familiar is because it is very easy to overlook his death. Now when a party member dies I can notice it easily (and I usually reload, I'm one of those who rarely uses resurrection). But when a familiar dies it is difficult to notice. I once had him die and only noticed after spending quite some time playing. I finally decided to reload, long way back(that 1 point CON was too much). From that time it's always backpack.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
Klutz
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockstar:
also could anybody tell me the whereabouts of a 'scroll of morderkien's sword' and a 'wail of the banchee' scroll are in SOA. That would also be of great help.

Cheers
There is one place in SOA where you can get a single guaranteed Mordenkainen's Sword scroll. Details are in this post if you want to be spoiled:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...=021097#000000
Old 07-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Spoilers, maybe.
-
-
-
-
-
-
I was always under the impression that a Wail of the Banshee could be obtained off of the mage that is imprisoned in the Underdark, if you decide to kill him. But maybe I'm wrong...
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I just discovered something...

If youre soloing and dont want to waste that extremely precious inventory slot you can do the following.

Put familiar in your inventory. Make sure he is in first slot. Fill entire inventory up. Go talk to anyone who gives you an item. You'll get the inventory ful item dropped on ground. Well, actually its your familiar there rotting on the ground. You can leave him there. Good riddance .
Old 07-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

If you have the Baldurdash fixpack, I'm pretty sure he fixed it so that your Familiar cannot be dropped in that manner. It also stops them from being left behind in certain areas when they are not in your pack.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I am using baldurdash. it didnt fix him being droppable. (though it did fix him being stuck in areas)

[ 07-17-2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]