Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

What do you guys think about this? Anyone have one? My brother-in-law told me about them this past weekend and is looking to get one, and it perked my interest. It is basically a fan working with a radiator right on the spot insted of having water pumped through to an external source. My bro-in-law says that he has a friend who has one who claims that he pushed his PC on a heating test and could not get it up to even room temp. Here are a couple weblinks.

Direct link talking about the thing: http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3098

Link to this and other products made by this company: http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?sh...on=2&menuID=-1

Old 08-17-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Thoran
Galvatron

Hmm... you need airflow to get evaporation... and in a closed system like that I'm not sure how they're getting sufficient airflow. Maybe their thinking the vapor pressure will create flow up to the radiator section (with condensate returning) and that flow will be sufficient.

I dunno... looks like it COULD work, but it depends a lot on the implementation.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I think it looks like it could NOT work, but then again, so do airplanes.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Looks pretty nifty. Too bad it's not available locally to me, I'd like to see one in person.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

lol!

No
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Umm... it's a bit... err... That's supposed to go on my CPU, inside the case? OK, so I turn it towards the back of the case so it has an intake... and I add in some good screws so my motherboard doesn't snap... It would work, that much is true. Both the cycle design, the airflow and the refrigerant used suggest that it might work, but I am a bit worried about the physical profile. How exactly does it fit, stay in, not move and not break anything?
EDIT: I've just seen the pictures of it mounted inside a PC. No, that wouldn't work that way. Why would I turn it like that? It slams air into the Power Unit, and some PUs(mine for example) have an exit fan at that particular location. So what the heck? More and more I'm thinking this is just a gimmicky cooler, if set up that way.

[ 08-17-2006, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 08-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well, Bozos and myself both think it's bad, so I hope that's enough to help you make a decision [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #8
Zebodog

A quick search on Google reveals a number of reviews . No need for links, they are easy enough to find. While I didn't find any reviews by sites considered to be the premiere tech sites on the web the five I did check gave this product a decent rating. EDIT: I lied...Guru 3d has a review up. http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/240/

Having said that it wasn't considered top dog since other products best it's cooling performance as well as noise levels. It looks like it would block airflow in the case, which isn't a good idea if you're running a halfway decent videocard (or two). These days it's the GFX that requires the attention, not the CPU. The only real plus to this is price.

Of course I've never had a problem with stock cooling (I've never owned a P4 either...well I have owned P4's before. Maybe that should be that I've never bought a P4 before. )

My old Barton used to get to about 25C above ambient air temp under full load, but I think that was due more to bad airflow through the case than the actual CPU. My latest X2 now runs at about 15C above ambient under full load with stock cooling.

[ 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Zebodog ]
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks guys. Opinions are appreciated and I'll pass along to my brother-in-law that his friend's opinion of this thing is minority.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

About cooling, I must brag.
After cleaning the case, and remodeling the flow(new motherboard), I have achieved 35 degrees Celcius on the CPU, 19 on the motherboard and 20 on the GPU. That's full load, after playing Unreal Tournament 2004 or Heroes V for a few hours.
/brag