Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 01:34 AM   #1
The Trickster
Manshoon

Insomnia is the latest film starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. I must admit, that I went into the theatre not really expecting to like the film. It tells the story of a policeman (Pacino) who is trying to track down a killer (Williams) in a small town where the sun never goes down in summer. When Pacino’s character makes a horrible mistake, the killer is at the scene and witnesses the event. Without giving too much away, I will say that what occurs after this event is both fascinating and quite unique to any film that I’ve ever seen. This movie handles moral dilemmas all the way through, making it a riveting and intelligent experience.

The film is very bleak, and has a dark undertone (in the same way that Seven did) throughout, never giving the audience much hope for a happy outcome. The acting is first class, and I will not be surprised to see both best actor and best supporting actress nominations come out of this film. I also think that casting Robin Williams as the murderer was a touch of genius, as it is very unsettling and to see him in this role, and it avoids stereotypes.

Insomnia is one of the more satisfying film experiences I’ve had this year. 8.5 out of 10.
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
The Trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:19 AM   #2
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I also thought this film was excellent, even if it did go over slightly worn ground (with the ambiguity of Dormer being a maverick good cop or simply a bad cop). The good thing about it, like Nolan's other awesome film - Memento, is that there are no identifiably good characters involved. Also the constant parrallels being drawn between Finch and Dormer are very well done, as Finch says: "We both share a secret, we both know how easy it is to kill somebody." (by which he means how easy it is to perform the act, not how easy it is to get away with it). I whole-heartedly agree with the Trickster and strongly recommend it.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:36 PM   #3
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sound`s like a great film Trickster [img]tongue.gif[/img] i will see asap!
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:19 PM   #4
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

hmm... was OK I guess, didnt like it that much... to be honest, I didnt see it as anything special... altho, I still think he done it on purpose [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'm not gonna say who [img]tongue.gif[/img] hehe. hmm, 6 outa 10?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
The Trickster
Manshoon

Hi CD!!!! Long time no speak!

We must catch up soon.

The Trickster (formerly known as Aviendha)
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
The Trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

I think 'mgonna go see it.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I thought this film was both well done, and unique, and included both good acting, as well as some really good writing. I also would give this movie a 8.5 out of 10, mostly just due to the believability of Hillary Swank's character. Though she acted the role very well, i felt her dead on assumptions were a little too convient and just kind of pushed the plot along instead of letting it develope.