Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2002, 07:25 PM   #61
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by K T Ong:
But if pushed far enough, won't he still use it as a weapon?
That is the thing.

"If pushed far enough".

Will you want to push a guy who has a nuke at his disposal? With a nuke, Saddam will be virtually untouchable.

ADD] I believe Saddam will only detonate a nuke as a last resort, since after said detonation, nobody has anything to lose anymore and it will drive all the nails into his coffin. However, if he has not detonated yet, everybody else will try their best not to make him do so. Ergo, he will have the upper hand so long as he does not detonate first.

PS: I know about Hiroshima, but that was before the world understood the impact a nuke can have.

[ 09-10-2002, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 09-10-2002, 07:28 PM   #62
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I believe that if Saddam were to build a nuke, he will not use it as a weapon, but as a deterrence. A sort of immunity if you will. Not the kind of situation you want to be in, as India and Pakistan has shown.
You really wanna know what he will do with it ? He will wipe Israel of the map, that's what he swore a long time ago, and there's no doubt in my mind he will do that once he can.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:33 PM   #63
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
You really wanna know what he will do with it ? He will wipe Israel of the map, that's what he swore a long time ago, and there's no doubt in my mind he will do that once he can.
Give the man some credit, even if he is a bad guy. I bet even Saddam knows such an action is as good as shooting himself in the head. Last I recall, he is not feeling suicidal at the moment. Saddam does not strike me as the martyr-wannabe type.

ADD] He can use the nuke as a deterrence while he uses other means to destroy Israel, annex other Arab countries, etc... This is a better tactic, and he should know it.

[ 09-10-2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 09-10-2002, 07:40 PM   #64
skywalker
Banned User

Ummm, the last I heard...the concern was not about Sadam using a Nuke, but the possibility of him giving nukes to terrorist groups.

If we were so worried about Iraq possessing nukes, then we should be equally worried about North Korea who already has them.

Y'think?

Mark
Old 09-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #65
skywalker
Banned User

The Iraq Issue is multifaceted:

1) The Bush factor...do it for Dad.
2) Lotsa oil at risk.
3) Dangerous to Israel.
4) Possible (probable?) links to terrorist groups.
5) Run by an abusive dictator.
6) Part of the Axis Of Evil
7) Weapons of Mass Destruction (Phrase of 21st Century) contained within.
8) Thumbs it's nose at the UN resolutions.
9) Attack needed to get Americans minds off Economic Focus as elections draw near.
10) Because we can.

Add more to the list if you think of any more that I missed.

Mark

[EDIT] Forgot to add winky smiles as this was not totally serious!

[ 09-10-2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 09-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #66
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Eh? I though North Korea's nuclear facilities have been shut down?

The idea of Saddam giving out nukes to terrorists, hmmmm... I suppose that operation will under his protection then. Whatever happened to the idea of a political assassination anyway?

ADD] Or the more palatable arrest version.

[ 09-10-2002, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 09-10-2002, 07:52 PM   #67
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I think that Saddam would love to be known throughout the Arab world as the guy who nuked Tel Aviv. P.S., the Gulf War involved money, certainly, but it also involved not letting a thug rob his neighbors who had TREATIES with us. Why are you so purblind about money? It may be crass, but it is powerful stuff, ask anyone who lived through the Great Depression. Yeah, we killed a lot of folks in the Gulf War. Yeah, they invaded Kuwait with robbery on their minds (there's that ol' money, again) so they deserved what they got.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:56 PM   #68
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I think that Saddam would love to be known throughout the Arab world as the guy who nuked Tel Aviv. P.S., the Gulf War involved money, certainly, but it also involved not letting a thug rob his neighbors who had TREATIES with us. Why are you so purblind about money? It may be crass, but it is powerful stuff, ask anyone who lived through the Great Depression. Yeah, we killed a lot of folks in the Gulf War. Yeah, they invaded Kuwait with robbery on their minds (there's that ol' money, again) so they deserved what they got.
The Iraqi civlians deserved to die because their leader tried to rob Kuwait? I don't think that's what you meant! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
Old 09-10-2002, 07:57 PM   #69
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Saddam's troops hadn't even set foot in Kuwait when we attacked him.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:12 PM   #70
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

THat is not true. Saddam's Armor entered Kuwait at 2:00 August 2, 1990. Our first air strike was delivered 6:36 A.M, January 16, 1991, by the B-52's of Barksdale AFB, the "Buffs." Source: Storm Over Iraq, Richard P' Hallion, (Smithsonian Institution Press, New York, 1992).

[ 09-10-2002, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Attalus ]