Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2002, 12:41 PM   #1
MagiK

While looking over the "community" thread I saw a post that made it sound like someone was adhering to it as a religion. Im curious, anyone that can enlighten me?

Old 09-04-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
Lord Shield

in a word - no it isn't

think of it in terms of a style/music culture. you wouldn't think Punk was a religion for instance?

hope that helps

Old 09-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #3
MagiK

yes, that is what I had thought, I am really not so old that I have not been out and seen the "goth" scene. [img]smile.gif[/img] but this post made it sound like a religion so I thought I would ask [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks again LS [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Last time I checked Goth was a type of building, a style of music and a european barbarian horde. Then again if you view Marylin manson as the quintesential level of human perfection I guess it could be a religon too.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:51 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I see it as more of a clan/guild/social group.
Somebody who is trying to be different and radical.

I mean, I love to wear black...but not to the extreme as Goth...which actually looks really silly, truthfully. It's always worth a good laugh to see somebody punked out as though that was the only way for a person to make a mark in society or "uniquify" themselves. The problem is that so many people are doing it these days...it's not really unique anymore, and therefore the ideal behind it is ruined. Little children should not be allowed to dress and make themselves over in Goth fashion. It ruins their chances to be successful in society, as they are supposed anti-society...as they put it, and when they grow older..they will not have good paying jobs, and live off welfare cheese that I help pay for.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:17 PM   #6
Lord Shield

I doubt that very much. When they grow older they stop being Goths and start living, same as any other music style

Old 09-04-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:

I mean, I love to wear black...but not to the extreme as Goth...which actually looks really silly, truthfully. It's always worth a good laugh to see somebody punked out as though that was the only way for a person to make a mark in society or "uniquify" themselves. The problem is that so many people are doing it these days...it's not really unique anymore, and therefore the ideal behind it is ruined. Little children should not be allowed to dress and make themselves over in Goth fashion. It ruins their chances to be successful in society, as they are supposed anti-society...as they put it, and when they grow older..they will not have good paying jobs, and live off welfare cheese that I help pay for.
Hey now !! I am into the whole shiny black goth thing. I have been for the past 10 years or so and I have a good job. I think you have goth kids confused with ghetto kids. I mean after all who is going to hire someone who cant even buy pants that fit?
Old 09-04-2002, 02:13 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I see it as more of a clan/guild/social group.
Somebody who is trying to be different and radical.

Unless they tattoo themselves, Larry (and so many kids, Goth or not, do that nowadays that it's become standard), I can't see how this will ruin their chances of being successful or going "on the dole." Believe me, my wife works with a bunch of college kids with multicolored hair and various body piercings and they get paid bundles for what they do (namely, art design on advertisements for the Denton Record-Chronicle newspaper).

Goth may be "silly", but most of it is just makeup and make-believe. A lot of it is just normal rebellion, and a lot of it is part of a fad culture that has been around since the early 1970's. I've known several "Goth" people and except for the vampire extremist types which are just a little bit south of WEIRD, most of them tend to be very creative and expressionist.

Forgive me for saying so, but saying that people who choose a lifestyle or fashion that is different from yours will ruin their chances of being successful or becoming welfare cases is rather prejudicial and biased. Just my opinion.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 09-04-2002, 02:15 PM   #9
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

its like the age old discussion of "oh im a greb" cept with the word goth in it,
supposedly you cant label yourself and if your a greb your not supposed to label other ppl (and the same ppl that told me that labelled themselves grebs...and me a trendy like wtf!!!) and i think Larry_OHF was kinda outta order saying that its like saying hes not gonna succed in life cuz hes ginger!

Felix
Old 09-04-2002, 02:22 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FelixJaeger:
its like the age old discussion of "oh im a greb" cept with the word goth in it,
supposedly you cant label yourself and if your a greb your not supposed to label other ppl (and the same ppl that told me that labelled themselves grebs...and me a trendy like wtf!!!) and i think Larry_OHF was kinda outta order saying that its like saying hes not gonna succed in life cuz hes ginger!

Felix
Sorry, I am going on my observations here in North Carolina, where the extreme Goths are looked at like they were walking bags of garbage. I see it in the malls. The people shy away from them. I see it at schools...the other kids sit far away from them. If there is another type of Goth that I have not been exposed to...then I need educating. the only Goth that I have seen are those that society shuns. I cannot retract my statement, as this is what I have seen Goth represented as. They enjoy the fear and unease that they bring to thier surroundings. Can you prove me wrong?