Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 03:39 PM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

In the 70's I made the switch from DC to Marvel. My favorite group changed from the JLA to the Avengers. The Marvel universe had more intrigue, it was more exciting, and seemed to be more dangerous. Also the Marvel characters had more depth.

One thing I always loved about DC though, was their JLA/JSA yearly cross-overs. These were usually great!

Hiram, I wish your brother would have given me a crack at some of those books I used to have X-Men 17, 19 and about 10 others before 50. I bought them from companies because I wasn't born at the time. I have a couple of old issues of Thor, back when it was still Journey into Mystery including the one were he meets Hercules that they used in the old cartoon.

Do you remember those old Marvel cartoons with the cheesy theme songs?

"When Captain America throws his mighty shield,
All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield.
When it comes to a fight, and a duel is due,
Then the Red, and the White, and the Blue will come through
When Captain America throws his mighty shield."

I can't remember the words for "Mighty Thor".

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 03:43 PM   #12
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I used to love X-Men/X-Factor. Their villians were so evil!!

My favorite was always Marvel because I knew so much more about the characters. I didn't collect all of the DC comics because the stories seemed to be simpler. I liked the teen titans, JLA, Batman, Flash, and Superman sometimes. I always had friends who had collections and I would stay over for a night and read every single one of them. Remember the Micronauts?

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-29-2001, 03:45 PM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Has anyone ever tried the Marvel Superheroes RPG?

I have the one from the late 80's and lots of supplements. It's fun, but it's like all other RPG's my friends and I rarely get together for this stuff any more.

The DC game wasn't very good. I did use the books to translate stats into the Marvel game.

Their was also the Champions RPG, whose system wasn't based on any certain universe, but was completely generic. It was very good, and several years ago it was suppose to be in production as a computer game. Never happened though.

That's something I would really love to see. A Superhero based RPG for PC.

------------------

Old 10-29-2001, 03:47 PM   #14
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:
I used to love X-Men/X-Factor. Their villians were so evil!!

My favorite was always Marvel because I knew so much more about the characters. I didn't collect all of the DC comics because the stories seemed to be simpler. I liked the teen titans, JLA, Batman, Flash, and Superman sometimes. I always had friends who had collections and I would stay over for a night and read every single one of them. Remember the Micronauts?

I still have some of those Micronauts books! The first series was best. I thought the idea was silly, but I stayed over at a friends house and started reading them and was hooked.

------------------

Old 10-29-2001, 03:51 PM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Remember being young and missing an issue of your favorite book? Maybe you didn't get to the store, or you were broke and your parents wouldn't get it for you, and you were thinking, "when I grow up, I'm going to buy that."

Have you bought any missed issues like that?

I've picked up some older books. I always wanted some from the early to mid 60's and finally bought some not so valuable ones. There were also a couple in the Avenger's I missed between #140 and #200 that I managed to get. Have done that in awhile.

Anyone remember the Korvac series from Avengers? Those were good books.

------------------

Old 10-30-2001, 09:12 AM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Ok, I realize most of the responses to my post have been from...well...er....um, well me!

So I thought I'd give comic book fans one last chance to comment, before this post disappears forever into the bowels of IWs.

I now call up my mighty power of the *bump*

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 09:46 AM   #17
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Has anyone ever tried the Marvel Superheroes RPG?

I have the one from the late 80's and lots of supplements. It's fun, but it's like all other RPG's my friends and I rarely get together for this stuff any more.

The DC game wasn't very good. I did use the books to translate stats into the Marvel game.

Their was also the Champions RPG, whose system wasn't based on any certain universe, but was completely generic. It was very good, and several years ago it was suppose to be in production as a computer game. Never happened though.

That's something I would really love to see. A Superhero based RPG for PC.

I had that? I also got about four or five of the expansion packs. The three sided cardboard figures, the paper maps that didn't link up in any way. It was great! I loved creating my own super heroes and designing their little playing sized character cards that you got in the advanced rules.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:04 AM   #18
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinslayer:
I had that? I also got about four or five of the expansion packs. The three sided cardboard figures, the paper maps that didn't link up in any way. It was great! I loved creating my own super heroes and designing their little playing sized character cards that you got in the advanced rules.
I only used the maps for a visual aid, and didn't use the 3-sided playing pieces at all, but I did put them all together because I thought they were so cool.

MSHRPG wasn't as indepth as D&D, but it was still fun, and the beauty of it was you could take someone who had never played a RPG before and have them playing in just a few minutes. Everyone understands the basic concepts of superheroes, and most even have a favorite. The only thing I had to moderate was one person wanting to play Batman (converted to MSHRPG) and another, in the same game, wanting to play Thor! Kinda hard to mix those power levels...lol

I think there is a lot of merit in the sole use of percentile dice and success charts in games to be played with/by novices. It's great if that's all you ever do, and if you want to advance, it's a great stepping stone.

------------------

Old 10-30-2001, 11:04 AM   #19
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

a bit off topic but...do you play Cosmic Encounters?

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]
Old 10-30-2001, 11:14 AM   #20
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

i liked roy of the rovers and whizzer and chips.

------------------

Beware Satan (My chearleading companion)