Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2001, 07:26 PM   #11
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

I get my baby brother to speak on the phone - then they get useless minutes of "GOO-GOO GAA-GAA", as necessary..

let's just say that they don't usuallu call back a second time.

------------------
Old 10-29-2001, 07:29 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

augh, i HATE those people! i like my music LOUD, and when they call they make me turn it down, usually missing the climax... . and the REALLY annoying ones go 'We have an importiant announcement for you, but all ou-' *click*. as you can guess, i never let them finish. if its so importaint they should have a HUMAN call me personally and mispronounce my name himself! i just love getting, 'Hello, is Mr. Lappe there?' or 'Is Mr. Lap there now?' if theyre gonna call theyd better learn how to pronounce my name! however, i am currently working on my 'Seinfeld Defense agasint Salespeople'...
Old 10-29-2001, 08:02 PM   #13
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
My personal response to telemarketers is,

"I don't accept telemarketing calls, please remove my name and number from your list." I don't listen to anything they say. As soon as they say, "Hello Mr *insert incorrectly pronounced name here*" I hit them with it.

If they say anything else, I hang up. I try to be nice, but there is nothing I hate more than someone calling my house uninvited.

Yes, I did that for a while too, but it doesn't always work. Now, I use the much more effective "please wait, I have someone at the door" put the phone down and come back 20 minutes later to hang up the phone (don't say anything... just hang it up). Funny, but they NEVER call back after that.

Mind you, for me to do this they do have to pass the Caller ID and to get my unlisted number somewhere!!!

To Neb and the others who have volume problems, just invest in a Mute system!

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 10-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 09:25 PM   #14
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
My personal response to telemarketers is,

"I don't accept telemarketing calls, please remove my name and number from your list." I don't listen to anything they say. As soon as they say, "Hello Mr *insert incorrectly pronounced name here*" I hit them with it.

If they say anything else, I hang up. I try to be nice, but there is nothing I hate more than someone calling my house uninvited.

A few months ago we had a election in our area. Our home phone was under seige from pesky political "survey takers" ---

"We are conducting a survey on your thoughts on important issues affecting your electorate ... blah, blah, blah, waffle, speech, grovel, whine, etc .. "

So we took the next step and had our home phone turned into a "silent" number, ie, not published in directories, not available in dial up queries, etc.

Only last week I got a call from someone trying to sell me membership to a fitness club. I asked them where they got my phone number from. The reply stunned me into temporary silence ... "Oh, we get the phone numbers from the electoral roll database via the Freedom of Information act ... "

So much for a "silent" phone number keeping you safe from telemarketing !!
( in Australia, at least )

The moral?

I don't even bother asking telemarkers to remove my number from their list. Its not going to happen - they probably get the list from some other source.

I am always polite to them. ( No matter how irritated I am that they just interrupted a session of Anachronox ... ) These poor people must collect more abuse than almost any other job, apart from parking inspector !!

I let them them finish their first sentence, and then respond "No, I'm not interested in that product, thank you" and I hang up.

Pangur Ban

------------------
-------------------------------------------

( Insert picture of hissing cat with arched back and bristling tail here .... )

-------------------------------------------
"Sad is the society where people may walk their dogs in public without wearing a helmet and protective kneepads ...."
Old 10-29-2001, 09:57 PM   #15
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

feh... I hate 'em!
I do not pick up any calls that came up as 'Privacy Manager' or 'Unknown'
I let my answering machine to take care of it
Old 10-29-2001, 11:18 PM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:

I am always polite to them. ( No matter how irritated I am that they just interrupted a session of Anachronox ... ) These poor people must collect more abuse than almost any other job, apart from parking inspector !!

I let them them finish their first sentence, and then respond "No, I'm not interested in that product, thank you" and I hang up.

Pangur Ban

I don't, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

No one is holding a gun to their head making them do this. There are other jobs to be had. It is not my problem if they have no more marketable skills than to have to take a job that is so invasive and obtrusive into other's lives. They deserve every bit of abuse they get. If it makes them get out of that field, then it has served something.

I do not abuse them, but I don't see anything wrong with hanging up in their ear. I certainly do not owe them an explanation for anything.

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-30-2001, 12:48 AM   #17
Pangur Ban

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I don't, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

No one is holding a gun to their head making them do this. There are other jobs to be had. It is not my problem if they have no more marketable skills than to have to take a job that is so invasive and obtrusive into other's lives. They deserve every bit of abuse they get. If it makes them get out of that field, then it has served something.

I do not abuse them, but I don't see anything wrong with hanging up in their ear. I certainly do not owe them an explanation for anything.

We may have to agree to disagree on few points here ...

I agree that they don't deserve any explanations at all, and I'm more than happy to hang up on them if they try and push the message after I've told them I'm not interested.

I can't agree that they "deserve every bit of abuse they get". I don't think anyone deserves this sort of treatmeant no matter what job they do.

Sure, abuse may cause them to leave telemarketing, but at what price? Work induced stress is damaging to health, and usually affects families and friends as well as the individual. Telemarketing itself is not going to go away because people leave - the companies will just hire more staff.

Pangur Ban.

Old 10-30-2001, 04:15 AM   #18
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Try striking up a friendship with a telemarketer
And Saz, rather harsh there dont you think? Many people have jobs that are invasive..
Just a few days ago these aircon repairmen came in while I was studying with my music at that perfect volumn, and just removed my aircon casing. I was pissed. But its someone's job after all. They were all walking small around me when I walked out with a face that could chew through rocks, and it got me thinking that they must get it a lot..
Being civil never hurt anyone. I never heard of anyone feel happier after blasting a telemarketer.

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-30-2001, 05:18 AM   #19
Epona
Zartan

Yeah, I mean telesales employees are treated really badly by their employers as well as by customers. They are just trying to feed their kids man! I never heard of anyone doing that job because they wanted to - would you rather be on welfare?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."