Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2001, 05:04 AM   #21
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

sorry for not repling right away Melusine
- anyway.. im a bookworm (well kinda but not a fanatic) and i like to read different fantasy novels... i have read Terry Goodkind and David Eddings... but i dont know if i got the Kal Torak to fit Zoratorak ... im not sure but sometimes my inner conscience (which knows alot on what i have fogotten) tells my rational mind something by means of inspiration... so i have no idea if i truly got it from Kal Torak ... but i do know i got my Zor.. from the great wizard Zorander...
Old 02-06-2001, 05:04 AM   #22
G.W.

Geedubya for a half orc because he's dumb and likes to use force. Actually he's not too dumb (12 intelligence).

Dylan Lonelyheart for the blade. Seemed like a semi-appropriate fantasy name.

Akbar for the kensai mage I have, after the life in hell character of the Akbar and Jeff duo.

Countessa d'Arbelesk for the aborted wizardslayer I made. Name seemed to match the IWD pict (though how someone could be an orphan raised by Gorion and a countess, I'm not quite sure I understand). Funny thing was when she won the fighter stronghold she said "Lady Countessa d'Arbelesk, I like the sound of that."

Old 02-06-2001, 05:22 AM   #23
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi Charlie, names names names...
Well My present character a male elf ranger is called Wolven, another little insignia of mine.
Had an elven Fighter called Aelph the Smasher, my first character from pen and paper AdoD
First time around I beat the game I had a female assasin/fughet called Alitha Sweetnoose, Alitha from a Manga Character I like and Sweetnose cause of the BG portrait.. =)
Also had an Undead hunter plaladin or named Garrick Sternface cause well if hunting undead in the name of good, you probably have to be stren and not laughing that much ,..
Old 02-06-2001, 05:52 AM   #24
Ertai, Wizard Adept

I use many names

Some of them are not original (Ertai from Magic TG, Elrond from The Lord of the Rings...)
Others are (Adhrael, Lasdar, Elandra... i notice that those are much worse than the others)
Others i make them with the elvish dictionary found in The Silmarilion (by Tolkien), for example Daegul (which means Shadow Magic or Dark Magic, Nimadan (which means white man, this was for a completely pale-white hair-white dressed guy that i made once) etc.

Old 02-06-2001, 06:11 AM   #25
Stealth Bomber

I like to try and think of new names which haven't been used before. Hence Suul-Yinn for my last character which came verrrry loosely from 'the Simbul' of Forgotten Realms fame, which I love as a mage name. I have also used Nemari, an anagram of my wife's name, Marnie, in a vain attempt to appease her for the amount of time I spend on my computer. Currently I am using Cervantes for my Kensai, in respect to my spanish heritage. Finally I have used Zorrillo( dimunitive of zorro, meaning little fox) for characters in other games.

Old 02-06-2001, 06:55 AM   #26
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Draggor is also the name of my main fighter character. I've also used my own name or names borrowed from other fantasy books like Gotrek and Grimcrag for Dwarves or X-men characters names like Xavier, Raven, Ororo or Rogue.
PS LoA You think yours is bad. I've started calling mine useless.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:27 AM   #27
Ash Wyrmspawn

Vicotnik.... that swedish game you mentioned..... it wouldn't by any chance be Aeon? Or is it the more dreaded Drakar och Demoner? Just curious...... played a bit of Aeon lately myself... that's why I ask.

And my name... to stick to the thread..... Well... Ash is a given.... Just love the antagonist (or protagonist maybe) from the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness..... and Wyrmspawn.... just because he is the fruit of his father's loin...... easy. Don't know what my female paladin will be called. (finished the game, and will start a new one soon). Maybe I'll call her Petunia....*L* That's what I call my lil' niece!

Oh, well.... that's my two cents worth!

Old 02-06-2001, 09:32 AM   #28
Falk

Firstly, I wanted to say how much I admire and love many of the character names I've come across on this board. The folks on this forum have terrific (and sometimes v. way out) imaginations. Maybe a future poll on best character names???

Anyway, back to the topic. I spent several days trying to come up with names for my m-p party. I didn't want to clone names from fantasy novels, movies, folklore or history, so that narrowed the choice from the start. I was surprised just how difficult it was. My mind appeared to be pre-programmed to go down this route, and even after coming up with what I thought were original names I later realised some of them are derived from fictional or historical characters.

Then of course you have to match the name to the character you've created, what works for a female, evil, elven cleric is useless for a female good, drwarven fighter. Plus its got to match the limited no. of character portraits/graphics supplied with the game (I haven't gotten around to scanning or downloading any of my own yet).

As it stands I'm only half satisfied with the names I came up with. The ones I like best are my own - Falk Gorionson, a human assassin; Falk is derived from the old greek work for scythe "falx", and that ancient symbol of death seemed appropriate for an assassin. (Hopefully the reasoning behind the surname is self-evident ).

I also adore the name I found for my half-elf thief - Molly Moonface - she's the half-elf thief in purple in the character portraits and is a suberp pickpocket. She has a real gruff voice, and I've just grown to love her. I hope she'll stick around for a long time! The name I gave to my sorceror, Quinn Firewind, also seems to fit the character I created, but I haven't grown to appreciate him as much as Molly!

Right at the beginning I tried to create a party based on my workmates, but it didn't really work, while I had great fun in categorising them into races/class/alignment, and could normally match up a portrait, the overall combination just didn't feel right. I guess it's best to create your character first, and then find the name that you think best fits that individual. But once you've created that special character who feels real to you then the game really takes on a vital added interest.

Old 02-06-2001, 10:02 AM   #29
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

To Ash, yes you're right, it is the "dreaded" Drakar och Demoner, jag tror att boxen heter Nidland och äventyret kallas "Den Nidländska Reningen".

Why the "dreaded"?

Old 02-06-2001, 10:05 AM   #30
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Vicotnik:
Tufft, spelar du fortfarande? I så fall har du kollat in den 6:e utgåvan? Och för det andra har du testat Drakar och Demoner datorspelet??