Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Open field, with three landmarks: Raistlin's tower (no grove or creatures, just his lab and the portal), Elminster's Tower, and Bilbo's house. No prisoner's or friends, except those summonded by spells and whatnot.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
dplax
Jack Burton

Is it the Gandalf before the balrog fight or after it?

If before it then it would be an interesting fight, but if after it, then Gandalf would easily win.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Gmm, not to discredit gandalf, but he did not show any special arcane prowness. My gold is on my previous avatar.

[ 06-30-2004, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Black Baron ]

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Elminster, after all he is Mystra's chosen, and can even engage in mellee with the Thoundrous Longsword. Is immune to most Raistlin's spells and even Gandalf can't touch him with his judo-telekinetic staff. Unless raist conjures up a demon or something... man, I gotta read some Raistlin books.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #5
Thoran
Galvatron

Well since Elminster is just one of many Reincarnations of Gandalf I'd have to say that those two fighting each other would likely draw... the appropriate comparison in Raist's world to the other two is Fizban, and except for the time Raist turned into a god, Fizzie could always have gotten the better of him.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

spoilers for those not knowing LotR very well:

After Gandalf was sent back by the valar after he died in the balrog fight he was immune to all weapons and he also became much more powerful. He could easily defeat any melee only opponent and even before his transformation he took care of a balrog, who are quite powerful.

And Gandalf does have powerful magic, you just don't see much of it in the books. The most of it you see are fireworks and him using his staff as a light. However after a careful read of the appendices you find that he is quite powerful. HE threw out evil from Dol Guldur (Sauron's stronghold before Mordor), he defeats Saruman, etc. And he also has his elven ring.

So I'd have to go with Gandalf.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'll go with Raistlin. Reasons? 1) Utterly ruthless. 2) He gets the edge for sheer determination - the only one of the three to overcome a significant physical handicap 3) He got tough enough to dominate Dragonlance's magicians and challenge the gods WITHOUT significant aid from other gods. ::cough, Elminster::

Elminster is too munchkin for me, and Gandalf shows hints of his power but Tolkien gives frustratingly few details. It's too convenient that Gandalf becomes a superhuman after fighting the balrog. Also, this topic is listed as Gandalf *the Grey*, which means before he took the balrog.

Besides, Gandalf and Elminster are kind of unreal characters - even the books dealing with them as up-and-coming mages are afterthoughts; Raistlin is the one that truly develops.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

<font color=plum><font color=red>Raistlin</font> - Defeated a diety (Takhisis) on her home plane by himself. Any PnP gamers will know that killing a diety on their home plane is most likely the greatest challenge any character could face. Is easily the most powerful mage in Krynn.

<font color=yellow>Elminster</font> - The chosen champion (and possible consort) to Mystra, Goddess of Magic in the Forgotten Realms. Power level is equal to a demi-god. Can fight with a sword as well as a staff and/or spells.

<font color=silver>Gandalf</font> - the original fantasy wizard and the mold after which all others are patterned. Gandalf is also not mortal. He is a Maiar, which in Tolkien's Middle Earth, is roughly the equivalent of a lesser god. Wields incredible power, but doesn't do so openly. He can also fight with a sword as well as a staff or spells.

That's a rough breakdown of the advantages each mage has in the conflict. Any of the three could win on any given day. Any of the three could also be beaten on any given day.

Gandalf has the most innate power of the three (Elminster got a lot of help from Mystra whenever the yogurt hit the fan). Raistlin is the weakest of the three (at least on paper), but he still managed to defeat a diety on her homeplane, so he could defeat Elminster and Gandalf both under the right circumstances. I'm not impressed with Raistlin's "ruthlessness". It may be intimidating from a human standpoint, but it isn't jack squat compared to the sheer evil and power of a Balrog - and Gandalf defeated the balrog in single combat.

Of course, Elminster went down to Hell (or Hades or whatever) and slaughtered entire hordes of demons on their homeplane. They may not be as powerful as the resident diety of that plane, but their power is increased on their homeplane and the sheer numbers should have been enough to complete smother Elminster.

So all three have faced - and defeated - unimaginably powerful foes.

One thing is for sure, you would have to watch from a safe distance, but it would be an awesome spectacle to behold.</font>
Old 07-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
Rokenn
Galvatron

One thing to remember is that Balrogs in JRR's world are not just demons but gods that have chosen to rebel. As was Sauron and Morgoth. If I recall correctly Sauron and the Balrogs were of an equal order when they served under Morgoth the first Dark Lord.

[ 07-02-2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #10
Encard
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Elminster, after all he is Mystra's chosen, and can even engage in mellee with the Thoundrous Longsword. Is immune to most Raistlin's spells and even Gandalf can't touch him with his judo-telekinetic staff. Unless raist conjures up a demon or something... man, I gotta read some Raistlin books.
Uh... What? Elminster's immune to a total of 9 or so spells due to his Chosen of Mystra status/template, but that's about it. Also, I'm pretty certain that the telekinetic attack Gandalf uses in the movie are not part of the books (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, thinking in terms of pure levels, I'm pretty sure Elminster's higher level than Raistlin was (I seem to remember him being in the low 20s, level-wise, but that could easily be off). Of course, Elminster's actual 3ed writeup is pretty unimpressive considering how powerful he should be at his CR (caster level 29 at CR 45, in exchange for 5 mostly useless levels and a template that's not overly impressive? A decently-built pure caster would shred him with ease, unless Mystra keeps resurrecting him, I'm pretty sure.), so it's debatable. Especially seeing as I don't currently have my hands on any writeup for Raistlin. I'm guessing it'd be a pretty close match, however.

Now, as for either of the two versus Gandalf... Blargh. Kind of difficult to compare, considering how very different the magic systems used by Tolkien and by D&D are. However, I'd put my money on Gandalf, simply because he is, as Cerek said, one of the Maiar. Still, it's a very shaky comparison.

Out of curiosity, for anyone who's read Voyage of the Fox Rider (Dennis L. McKiernan) or The White Order and The Colors of Chaos (L.E. Modesitt, Jr.), any thoughts on how Durlok or Jeslek (assuming I spelled that right) would stack up? I'd stick those two above either of the D&D mages, I'm thinking...

[ 07-02-2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Encard ]
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote