Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
uaciaut
Dungeon Master

Started playing Bg2 a long time ago, stoped playing fast (cd was broken and i couldn't get in some areas) than started playing again; got bored stoped and started again, etc.
Anyway i started playing Morrowind recently (which i recommend [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and i decided to take a look here (i had another account; lost pass and e-mail adress ) And it's still here. A lot of topics are still being started, and a lot of questions are still being answered. After all this time, WOW. I mean at one time i was obsessed about this game (had almost every mod - that's why game crashed often), and i thought no more questions could be asked, and the possibilities have ended. But when i thought again i realised there are still a lot of combinations left (well virtually they are infinite from certain characters in your "squad" to items and weapon proeficiencies, so on) The world BG 2 has created is incredible.
Anyway the main question: how more popular would BG be if it was more like Morrwoind (i mean graphics and sounds, etc)? How would a MMORPG Bg2 sound? Thousands of players trying all kinds of characters and items. I think one day in the close future, when ideas for games will be running out (they have already started doing that) a big computer-gaming company will realise BG's potential, which, although the immense universe it has created, is still untaped.
It will always be one of my favourite games of all times (too bad i haven't played BG1 yet )
&lt;a href=\"http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/\"<br />title=\"Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox\"&gt;&lt;img<br />src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/thunderbird/thunderbird_blog1.png\"<br />width=\"94\" height=\"15\" border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Thunderbird\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;
uaciaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
WOOHOO! Long live the reign of BG2 ! Mmmmm... 3D ya say? Sounds interesting... hopefully it wouldn't lose any of it's quality if it gets remade. "Who' gonna do it?" is my main concern, though. I'd certainly buy it anyway.

Oh and you HAVE to buy BG1! I will condemn you to a hell if you don't [img]tongue.gif[/img] ! Hmmm... I must check out this 'Morrowind'. I have a friend who has it and since there's a forum for it, Ziroc must recommend it - I wouldn't want to disobey Choc, so I'll probably look into it. Thanks, uaciaut!
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

well, none of the 3-D CRPGs is more popular than BG series, and so why goes to 3-D when the 2D graphics serve the game suffiently. Of course you can always imagine how much more popular BG series would've been were they 3-D games...but since 3D or not doesn't seem to be a deciding reason of a successful, popular CRPG, imo it's rather pointless to guess whether a 3D SoA would be more or less successful.

Personally I only care for Single Player compaign of any computer game, and so I have zero interest in a MMORPG BG2. As long as I have the solid single player compaign that's fine (NWN doesn't give me that and so I couldn't go over the game twice). Besides, I think we have more than enough MMORPG now (=weak single player compaign and designed for online gaming), an online BG2 will be just another MMORPGs, while the BG series we have now is unique. Let BG be BG just like letting PT as PT.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

If you want BG in 3d play NWN but that sucks big time. I like the way it is.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #5
uaciaut
Dungeon Master

If you liked BG2 it doesn't necessarily mean you will like Morrowind; but if you liker Gothic 2, too it's probable
&lt;a href=\"http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/\"<br />title=\"Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox\"&gt;&lt;img<br />src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/thunderbird/thunderbird_blog1.png\"<br />width=\"94\" height=\"15\" border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Thunderbird\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;
uaciaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 AM   #6
mad=dog

You cannot control a party in first person 3D. Isometric top-down is the way.
You must try Elder Scrolls II - Daggerfall if you can get it to run. A really large world. Much bigger than ESIII-Morrowind.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:56 AM   #7
Raistlin Majere
Ra

D&D online is on the make...not BG2, but its a MMORPG that uses 3d editon rules and is set in Toril(propably Fae'run aswell)...when its done, its a must for me, atleast

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by uaciaut:
Anyway the main question: how more popular would BG be if it was more like Morrwoind (i mean graphics and sounds, etc)?
I think the popularity would actually suffer. BG2 is, among other things, a party-based game, and since party-based games(where in the party is controlled by AI, not some other player) do not work in a Morrowind-kind-of-game[as Mad=dog pointed out(just try DL:ing a NPC mod...I guarantee youll be pissed before an hour of playing...)]. And how well could they bring the story in? Not well enough, methinks. BG2 needs the sort of twisted linearity with alot of optional quests that it has, and I dont think we would get the most out of it if it would be a pretty much fully non-linear game like Morrowind. Morrowind is a good game, but trying to convert other games to be like it would end in disaster, methinks.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:12 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
If you want BG in 3d play NWN but that sucks big time. I like the way it is.
Now there's a good advice First you tell him to play NWN, but then you tell him it sucks [img]smile.gif[/img]

On topic, though, I'd say you should give either NWN or Knights of the Old Republic a try. While the rabbithole doesn't go as deep as with Baldur's Gate, both games are well worth time and money. IMHO, that is.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote