Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Halbarad1891
The Magister

So I just finished the game, and I must say I'm rather disappointed in the end. I liked the game overall, but the end was meh. I think there should have definitely been something after the video. It never said what happened to Aribeth or what happened to Neverwinter (other than it'll rebuild). I really wanted to go back and talk to Lord Nasher and Aarin, and then have a trial for Aribeth's crimes (with me either defending or attacking her, depending on my alignment), kind of like the trial in chapter 3. That would have been a great close to the game I think, having her proved guilty or innocent. The game ending right now just seems really abrupt.

I liked the end battle with Morag, even though it was a little easy (once I figured out how to do it). I liked how you have to figure out how to defeat her different levels of protection, it's not all just hack and slash.

Like I said, overall the game was pretty fun. Now I'm ready to move onto the first expansion.

How does the expansion scale things? I'd like to continue my current character (level 16), but when I start a new game with the expansion I start at level 1. So are things going to be really really easy for my level 16, or does the game scale things up? What about quests and xp and such? So I guess I'm asking, should I start a new person or can I continue my current?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through my first NWN experience! [img]smile.gif[/img]

H
Halbarad1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Starting SoU with a level 16 character would be too easy, so you better start with a brand new one. You could start HotU with your NWN character, but that expansion continues the story from SoU and is meant to be played with the same character you used in SoU.

HotU also ties some loose ends from NWN, and at least partially explains what happens after NWN.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

And, if you are dissatisfied, there is always the "Aribeth's Revival" by Poecile, which enables you to right some wrongs.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I actually thought the ending to the OC was one of the best ending fights to all the RPGs I have played -- which unfortunatly isn't saying much. SoU is better balanced and you'll want to start off with a new character. You'll end up with a character around 13th level. HotU will automatically level you to 15 if you are not there.

What Bioware did was have a contest for what they called fan made "Bridge Modules" that allowed you to take your 13th level SoU character and run them through until they reach 15th level. I loved this because I hate getting levels for nothing. I played the module the Nether Scrolls and it was excellent. Try some other fan made modules. I highly recommend Adam Miller's and Dave Mason's creations.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Halbarad1891
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Starting SoU with a level 16 character would be too easy, so you better start with a brand new one. You could start HotU with your NWN character, but that expansion continues the story from SoU and is meant to be played with the same character you used in SoU.

HotU also ties some loose ends from NWN, and at least partially explains what happens after NWN.
Mark that up as another negative to the ending of NWN then (IMO), I really liked my character and wanted to continue one with him. Oh well.
I created a new person after I made my first post (I had a feeling that's what I'd have to do), while the beginning isn't hard enough for a level 16, it seems a lot harder than the beginning of the OC (oc = original campaign, right? I've seen people use that term). Those little Kobold buggers are tough for a level 1.

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
And, if you are dissatisfied, there is always the "Aribeth's Revival" by Poecile, which enables you to right some wrongs.
Downloading now.
from the description, it sounds exactly like what I wanted.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
Halbarad1891
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
I actually thought the ending to the OC was one of the best ending fights to all the RPGs I have played -- which unfortunatly isn't saying much. SoU is better balanced and you'll want to start off with a new character. You'll end up with a character around 13th level. HotU will automatically level you to 15 if you are not there.

What Bioware did was have a contest for what they called fan made "Bridge Modules" that allowed you to take your 13th level SoU character and run them through until they reach 15th level. I loved this because I hate getting levels for nothing. I played the module the Nether Scrolls and it was excellent. Try some other fan made modules. I highly recommend Adam Miller's and Dave Mason's creations.
Who won the contest? What if you're higher than level 15? Do you just get to start a few levels higher then intended? Or is impossible to reach higher than level 15? After I ended the OC I started a new game of HoU just to see what level I'd start as (so I knew if my character transfered between the two) and it just jumped me up to level 15... which would be ok (not great though) if I could customize each level and make my own character. At least i now have the chance to customize my person in SoU [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-26-2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Halbarad1891 ]
Old 06-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I am pretty sure it was Paper Monk who won with his Nether Scrolls module that you can download for free. I don't know about being higher than level 15. IMO (and many other peaople's opinions)The Nether Scrolls seamlessly falls between SoU with HotU because it provided just enough experience to get me from 13 to 15th level. And the Nether Scrolls is a GREAT bridge module.

[ 06-27-2004, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Mercc
Dungeon Master

I just finished the OC ( I know I am SUCH a lame gamer) and thought it was decent. It offered a few twists. The end battle was as I expected - once you figure out how to kill the main baddie - in this case take out one or more of the protectors - it is usually quite easy to do away with him/her. I killed Aribeth so there was no need for a trial. But I too would have liked to gone back to Lord never and arin gen justr to see what the fallout would have been. A burial for Aribeth of course - but as a hero or a villian?

Merrc
Mercc is offline   Reply With Quote