Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Demostenes
Elite Waterdeep Guard

SPOILER AHEAD
U can get lots of experience in the unseing eye quest, when u talk to Gaal the 1st time he´l tell u to get the 1st part of the rod from the ancient temple below, the next time u talk to him and if you have that part he´l give u 75000 exp points and then he attacks u...... If u can pause the game while he´s friendly u can talk to him again and get the 75000 points again...... repeat this 10x 20x .... well until u are fed up. Its a easy, not cheating way to go up some levels.
Demostenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

To determine if something is a cheat in terms of CRPGs, the essential question is "would a human DM allow this?" Now, any DM that would let you get away with this is not worth playing with. So this is a cheat.

Easy yes, Ill grant you that. But its still a cheat. I woudnt use it meself (having gone up 5 levels in one day, I dont need to), whether other people do is up to them.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:09 AM   #3
eb
Manshoon

I agree totally to andrewas.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:18 AM   #4
Whailor

Well, to determine whether it's cheating by thinking "Would human DM allow this?" doesn't rock my boat. I never played PnP games and I can't care less what a human DM allows. The fact that it's a human DM makes the issue questionable already, as humans tend to do the mistakes pretty often. So the 'human DM allowing' argument is something what never rocked my boat, I can't care less...

As for the issue, then it IS a BUG, and you are exploiting it. You are supposed to get the rod, and either to speak to Gaal, or not speak to Gaal (instead speak to someone else). However, once the text is spoken, Gaal is supposed to go hostile and whack you. Here's though the bug - he allows you to talk again to him, and give XP for nothing, as you don't even have the ron piece anymore. If you claim that this is not a bug, sorry then, you haven't got a clue what a bug is, as you are exploiting one blatantly. Were I in your place, I wouldn't definately post about this on the boards and call everyone else use it, I also would quickly connect to Bioware - or some fan site - and download the latest patch available and install it.

Then again, maybe you wont get a patch and apply it, maybe you're getting kicks out of this. In which case you should not post a bug and it's exploit and call others to use it. Tsk-tsk, not nice [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2002, 04:31 AM   #5
fable
Quintesson

I'm with the previous posters on this. It's definitely a cheat. Note, none of us are saying you can't do this, or shouldn't do this--you bought the game, it's up to you to do what you want. But to claim it isn't a cheat is a little disingenuous. It immediately brings to mind the question, "Well, if this isn't a cheat, taking advantage of a coding bug to make endless experience, what is?"
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 08:00 AM   #6
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

There is a place where you can get more xp. when you go to the asylum make the pirate king think your insane. it will autosave between you getting the 25,000 xp each and loading up the asylum. just reload and do the insanity all over again.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:38 AM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Come on come on you're gaining all the same xp, isnt it a cheat? even if it's cheat or not its meanless to discuss I dont enjoy (personally) gaining a xp that I dont deserve it gives me a great enjoy courage and feeling of roleplay. but it's my perspective my way yours is yours..

but having 2 rings of ram is not a cheat for me ehehe [img]smile.gif[/img] -because you steal one and deserve one, the one you steal is a prize for your creativity [img]smile.gif[/img]
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
Demostenes
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well i don´t think that using the games "bugs" for our advantage is cheating (after all u still have that experience cap), you can use certain spells, that are flawed, against some creatures ( magic resistance in the golems... ) and i still don´t consider cheating. As for installing patches and using codes to gain items or import great magical weapons .... well i dont use any of that because i think it destroyes the true nature of the game.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:55 PM   #9
Demostenes
Elite Waterdeep Guard

But thanks anyway for your opinions.... which i respect
Old 02-07-2002, 05:35 AM   #10
Whailor

I cannot see however how can some official patch from Bioware, made to FIX the bugs in the game, ruin it for you? [img]smile.gif[/img] Not to mention the patches from Baldurash, what you perhaps mentioned - the patches, the FIX ones on Baldurash, are something what is really needed as well. Bioware does nice job on patches, but a company can test and verify only that much. Player base does get their hands on much more issues then some small QA team. However, creating the patch by Bioware, based on player feedback, isn't still that easy and fast. So I think we are actually rather lucky that there are players out there, who know how the things should work and willingly spend their own free time to create the much needed patches for us all. It makes it easier for us, for Bioware too.

Not to mention that Baldurash has been in contact with Bioware, also they over there know the AD&D rules pretty well, so I'd say that their patches are as close to official fix as one can be Now, if you mean the enhancement/tweak/cheat part there, then it's also named like this, so one would know right away what they are getting.

Regarding the codes, then it's again, a thin ice. For example, you imported your chars from BG1, but you never got the golden pantaloons from BG1 (I always did hehe). Now you are well progressed in BG2 when you find out about the pantaloons. What do you do? Most legit way is to "suck it up" and live without them, and next time start in BG1 again and get these. Or use the code to "summon" these? Tricky, though more likely similar to cheat - you never had the pantaloons in the first place.

Now, if you had them and then dropped somewhere by accident or whatever else, then summon - tricky again. You HAD them, but you KNOWLINGLY got rid of them, and now summoned. Is it a cheat? From some puritan point of view it is, personal point of view - you decide

And then finally you have had them with you since BG1, you kept carrying them with you hoping to find the reason for them one day (like me).. And say that some bug removed them from your inventory. For example the Habib throws his mighty scimitar at you and the pantaloons go poof! (they don't, just an example) - what to do then? Patch will not give you the pants back. You had them on you all the time, legit way, but you lost them to the bug. Summoning them can then be considered as a "bug fix". Or you can be a 'hardcore' player, admit the loss of the item and move on, and next time play AGAIN through BG1 to get these

So, you see, it's tricky, the use of codes to summon something. It's obviously clear that it's a plain CHEAT when someone, right at the start of the game, uses codes to summon some gear he/she would see only in some rather late chapter. But the 3rd example from above is a tricky one, most likely a "bug fix" rather then the cheat.