Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2002, 11:13 AM   #1
Dragonbreath
Manshoon

Every time I try to defeat the last group of Illithids, the mage comes out, holds everyone, and destroys my main character who has an intelligence of 3... which basically means one hit by an illithid = death of main character. I had to bypass this battle by having Aerie to cast sanctuary, go around the illithids, and get goods inside...I completed it and got the items but I was wondering is there anyway I can kill the mage Illithid without dying???

[ 07-26-2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Dragonbreath ]
Old 07-26-2002, 11:22 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

a potion of mind focusing, genius will give you extra intelligence (the potions stack so you can chug 3 p of g for +12 int.) also a priest spell (chaotic commands) makes you immune to mind-blast/chaos, confusion/hold person spells etc.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Who else is in your party?
(This is exactly why I preach somewhat-balanced stats.. It's unwise to have less than 7 in any stat, because if you run into a situation like this it's dangerous. Besides, it's unrealistic. Someone with an int of three would most likely be retarded in a literal sense)

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:19 AM   #4
Dragonbreath
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
(This is exactly why I preach somewhat-balanced stats.. It's unwise to have less than 7 in any stat, because if you run into a situation like this it's dangerous. Besides, it's unrealistic. Someone with an int of three would most likely be retarded in a literal sense)
Well...she is a half-orc...which explains the low intelligence don't you think ...Anyways I also have Minsc(who as you know is also retarded [img]tongue.gif[/img] )Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimo, and Edwina( [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 07-27-2002, 12:40 AM   #5
Paleface
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonbreath:
quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Well...she is a half-orc...which explains the low intelligence don't you think ...Anyways I also have Minsc(who as you know is also retarded [img]tongue.gif[/img] )Jaheira, Aerie, Yoshimo, and Edwina( [img]tongue.gif[/img] )[/QUOTE]True enough... but technically, an intelligence of 9 or less means your character can barely speak. hehe!
Paleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:58 AM   #6
Dragonbreath
Manshoon

Boo is the brains of my group [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2002, 07:45 PM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

This battle is usually a pain in the arse for me, but I've just finished playing a solo half orc barbarian and it was the easiest fight i have ever had. I now see Barbarians as the Ultimate Illithid killers

my barb had

STR: 19
DEX: 18
CON: 19
INT: 10
WIS: 10
CHR: 7

Now turn on call on holy might you should have it as innate ability depending on alignment this will add +3 to STR, DEX, CON. Then I drunk lots of potions of Genius and Potions of Mind Focusing until my INT and DEX were 25, then drucnk a potion of speed and finally turned on Barbarian rage, with all this the stats above became:

STR: 25
DEX: 25
CON: 25
INT: 25
WIS: 10
CHR: 7

+ immune to psionics and all mind affecting magic because of barb rage

The Illithids didn't stand a chance, some of you may consider this overkill but I was playing a solo Barbarian on insane difficulty so I think it was justified in this instance (oh yes and another instance the illithid city in the underdark [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:32 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Hm.. Have someone conjure a Mordy's Sword and send it in alone. The illithid will all fire psionic blasts, effectively wasting them. Meanwhile, you should be summoning everything you can with Jahiera, Edwin.. Edwina.. and Aerie if she has any spells like that. Skeleton Warriors and Mordy's Swords are very nice here, due to the Skellys' high magic resistance and the Mordys' mind shielding. Cast Chaotic Commands on every party member possible, and have Aerie and Edwina cast Stoneskin, and Jahiera cast Iron Skins. Then have Aerie and Jahiera cast Defensive Harmony... the point of all of that is that your party will be harder to hit and thus harder to be drained. Send in your summoned creatures first, and hang back and use ranged weapons, letting your beasties do the dirty work for you. Have fun!

Old 07-28-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I think the Mind Flayers' INT drain will bypass Stoneskins/Ironskins, in the same way that Elemental damage does.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:16 AM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Ugh, you're right, I remember now