Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2001, 04:31 PM   #21
Kore'tha-Konkoror

People play CRPGs because they are fun. Can't we just leave it at that?

Old 01-06-2001, 04:50 PM   #22
KALYN

People should not spend all of their time on an RPG, but I don't see how you can say that they are bad because they are an escape from reality. Are you saying that people should not escape reality? Why do people go on vacations, why do people read books, why do people drink? Are all of these escaping reality, or are they a part of my reality. If I went on a vacation I would say hell yes I am trying to escape reality. 9-5 and school grinds you down. Is that better or worse then playing an RPG. It is a hell of a lot more expensive.

Old 01-06-2001, 08:33 PM   #23
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... im planning to be a lawyer when i grow up GW... explain why (in your views) that being a lawyer is such a sad life...pls?
Old 01-06-2001, 08:49 PM   #24
G.W.

Hey Zor,
It's my second year as a lawyer. I do litigation. I find the following things to be true: It's boring; it's lonely; you deal with mean, aggressive people and have to be aggressive and at the same time obedient like it's the army. In a way it is like acting, you have to wear a smile around and be enthusiastic all the time.
It takes an awfully long time to learn what to do and a long time to pay off your loans, if your goal is to help the little people. Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of worse professions, but law is not for the weak at heart. Law apparently has the highest percentage of alcoholics of any career choice.
Just be sure to talk to relatives who are lawyers and friends who may have lawyers in their family so you know what you're getting into. Business seems like a rewarding pursuit.

Old 01-07-2001, 12:04 AM   #25
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I DIDDN'T SAY ESCAPEISM IS BAD.... JUST THAT IT SHOULD BE CUT DOWN ON!

*ahem*,

RPG's are fun, we play the for enjoyment. i dont dispute that. I just think that people should treat it like a game;
(just look at the "Evil Smiting post....we all got a bit caught up in the idea...)

G.W. prehaps law is a difficult career track and it certainly is nothing more than a paracitic proffession (like journalsim, right Armisael?) but it is one that intrests me and i feel i can suceed at it.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:40 AM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Jerome, I don't think there's any danger of Aerie, Viconia or Jaheira being a substitute for a real girlfriend. No comparison.

Hey G.W. have you seen Liar Liar?

Just out of interest the solicitors I've known and hired over the years have been amicable pleasant and helpful - and saved me from the dreaded rip-off more than once. (Whew!)

I hope you don't become that percentage G.W. All the best.

Yorick
Old 01-07-2001, 07:45 AM   #27
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Don't worry G.W.! Just keep on working hard and one day, you will be one of the greatest lawyers who ever stepped on the face of the earth! At first its rocky, but in my opinion, when you start getting those high regards and rep, everything's gonna be ayt!
Old 01-07-2001, 08:18 AM   #28
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I don't know about the rest, but they say lawyers make more than doctors. GREED RULEZ!!!!!!

(Why do you think they will accept most any case?)
Old 01-07-2001, 02:27 PM   #29
One ANGRY lil' man

In response to your "DON'T WATCH FOOT BALL PLAY FOOT BALL" remark. Why are you on a message board shouldn't you find a group of people in real life rather than talk to people online? Why do you even play RPG's then ohh ohh escapism ohh ohh. Imagination itself is a way to escape so should we stop imagining scenarios to run from escapism? I mean why should we even talk Jerome actions do speak louder than words why don't we just act? Because we are made human due to our abilities to imagine scenarios plan ahead. I know I don't wanna be lobotomized but if I was lobotomized I wouldn't want to play Baldurs Gate I wouldn't imagine isn't that what you want Jerome? Why should we try to transcend our current form why should we think of having abilities above that of a normal man? I mean we can just sit around and say I want to kill someone I should act on it shouldn't I Jerome? I should sit around lift weights so I can get strong in real life so girls will like me isn't that as empty of a goal as trying to reach lvl 8? What I'm saying is real life is just as empty as fake life.

Old 01-07-2001, 02:29 PM   #30
One ANGRY lil' man

Sorry for the double post BADDDD lag!

In response to your "DON'T WATCH FOOT BALL PLAY FOOT BALL" remark. Why are you on a message board shouldn't you find a group of people in real life rather than talk to people online? Why do you even play RPG's then ohh ohh escapism ohh ohh. Imagination itself is a way to escape so should we stop imagining scenarios to run from escapism? I mean why should we even talk Jerome actions do speak louder than words why don't we just act? Because we are made human due to our abilities to imagine scenarios plan ahead. I know I don't wanna be lobotomized but if I was lobotomized I wouldn't want to play Baldurs Gate I wouldn't imagine isn't that what you want Jerome? Why should we try to transcend our current form why should we think of having abilities above that of a normal man? I mean we can just sit around and say I want to kill someone I should act on it shouldn't I Jerome? I should sit around lift weights so I can get strong in real life so girls will like me isn't that as empty of a goal as trying to reach lvl 8? What I'm saying is real life is just as empty as fake life.