Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2002, 01:24 PM   #1
Pippin
Dungeon Master

I been eagerly waiting to play BG2 for a long time now and yesterday it finally arrived. The problem now is importing my character from BG1. I get to import my character Elendil but I have to roll new abilities. I may have misunderstood but I thought much of the meaning with importing an character from BG1 was to keep those abilities. Maybe I`m wrong.

Thanks for all help!
Pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:30 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

That is strange You should be able to keep your same stats as your original character. I know I didn't reroll any stats when I imported my Palidin because they were not exactly the best to begin with and they ended up being the same. If you are using a single class it should allow you to choose a kit and also it may ask modify weapon proficiencies but I didn't have to reroll my stats, I don't even remember getting that option. I would make sure I have all the patches before even starting though.

[ 11-20-2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
Lewzbel
The Magister

Make sure to read any readme files in there too. I seem to recall that you needed to do something specific and non-intuitive to be able to import a BG 1 character. It sounds like maybe you didn't do what is required, and therefore the game is making you do a new character.
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:45 PM   #4
pritchke

Yah, you should probaly move your named character files of BGI to the character folder of BGII, as well move the image you used to the portrits folder from BGI to the BGII folders if it wasn't one of the images that came with BG. If you are loading from a saved game you will have to move the BGI save to the saved game folder of BGII. At least I think that is what I did.

[ 11-20-2002, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #5
Pippin
Dungeon Master

This is what I did: I took the save named "Final Save" from BG1 and put it in the Save folder in BG2. Then I started up, chose New Game, then Import which gives me to choices; import character file or saved game. I chose saved game and there was one alternative;Elendil which is my human fighter. I chose him and got back to the characterer generation menu and must roll abilities.

The other option as I have read is to import the XXXXXX.chr file to BG2`s character folder. The problem is that I don`t have a chr file. I suppose the name of that file`s supposed to be Elendil.chr but I don`t have it. Please help me=) Maybe a patch will fix it. Where can I download one?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
pritchke

Do you still have BG on your machine?
I take it you don't. Because you could just open the saved game in BG and then export your character, than move the file over. You could also send your saved game to someone here to try create the character file for you. My e-mail is k_pritchett@shaw.ca but I will not be able to get around to doing it for another 7 or 8 hrs. If you send it to me I will try to create your chr file for you. Hopefully it will work!

Here is a link to some patches:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/sh...6&pagenumber=2

[ 11-20-2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 11-20-2002, 04:49 PM   #7
WhirlingDervish
Dungeon Master

Did your character come from a multiplayer BG1 game? I have found
that if I export the character from a multiplayer BG1 game, or use the
"auto" exported character files that BG1 creates from a multiplayer game,
the ability files do not cross over properly.

I was able to solve the problem by creating a new BG1 single player game
importing my BG1 character from the multiplayer game into the new Single
game. Then exporting that character under a new file name to BG2. This
new character file from the single game always had the proper ability scores
when openned in BG2.

If this sounds like to much of a pain, just download shadowkeeper and rebuild
your character in BG2 (SK is VERY easy to install and use)

SK can be downloaded at http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/

Good Luck!

[img]graemlins/1druid.gif[/img]
WhirlingDervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 05:28 PM   #8
Pippin
Dungeon Master

Thanks a lot everyone! You all have been very helpful even though I didn`t manage to import my character. I`ve installed the newest patch and I`ve tried a dozen of combinations but each time I have to roll abilities and do not get to keep them. I will most likely download ShadowKeeper(thanks WhirlingDervish) and create my character as it is from BG1. Still I find it very annoying that I didn`t manage this.

Anyway, thanks a lot!=)
Old 11-20-2002, 06:28 PM   #9
Seraph
Quintesson

Try exporting the character in BG, and then importing the character in BGII.

To export the character go to the character sheet in Baldurs Gate, and look around, IIRC it was an easy option to find.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 08:13 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I had the same problem with my first game of BG2; I think I eventually ended up going the Shadowkeeper route, hacking my stats back to where they were. But later on, all my characters transferred over correctly! It was a long time ago, but I *think* the rule is that "all BG1 characters rolled after BG2 is installed will have their correct stats when exported/imported into BG2."