Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 08:40 PM   #1
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

did you beat Iwd at? oh and what lev. did you beat the expansion if you have it?
I'm thinking about getting them. What level do you start at too?
Old 10-16-2002, 08:54 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I haven't beaten it yet, but I would say that you probably finish at the highest level (17-19 depending on the class). You start with 0 experience; Level 1. I'd get the game...its really great! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Agelousss,

Welcome to the IWD forum!

IWD is a beautifully rendered, challenging yet balanced, and exquisitely detailed dungeon crawl.

Get HoW expansion if you get IWD. Take it from someone who has played both ways, and hasn't even entered the HoW areas yet: HoW adds many, MANY refinements that go way beyond just adding more adventure area. (See fairly recent posts on this forum for more info.) I hear they are now being sold packaged together.

You build your party of 1 to 6 characters totally from scratch (no computer generated characters join your party). They all start at level 1 with zero expo and progress to very high levels. I *THINK* the levels I've heard are: finish IWD around level 13. Finish IWD:HoW around level 17. In addition, HoF mode yields insane amounts of expo (if you survive). I think the cap is level 30 IN EACH CLASS; so, if you had a mage/thief multiclass, she could attain 30/30.

Party On!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 05:28 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

That's about right. IIRC IWD allowed a level limit of 14, but it went up to 30 with HoW (not that you were likely to get there).

This game prides itself on developing your own party, and on challenging tactical/strategic thinking. You won't find any complex NPC interaction - if you've played BG - but the game does not suffer for it. IWD is just different, but in a good way.

Buy them, they're fantastic.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:30 AM   #5
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I finished IWD without the HoW & TOLM expansion, normal difficulty setting, and my party was around 13th & 14th level. After I got HoW and TOLM, I took the same party through the expansions, and ended up around two levels higher, 15th - 16th level.
If you have IWD, HoW & ToLM (Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter, Trials of Lure Master), start a party at level 1, set the difficulty at Heart of Fury mode, and you MAY hit 30th level.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yah, with all that some of you characters will reach the 30th level, bards, theives, and druids in particular.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 04:07 PM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I beat it with a thief lvl 18 (HOW after IWD regular) the rest of the party was about lvl 11-15 (this was on normal difficulty, I'm not running the same party through again this time with TotL, and everyone is over lvl 21 (chapter 6 in the regular game, then jumped right into TotL directly from the Lonelywood) where's a halfling Mayor when you need one (a reference to Regis, who is Lonelywood's mayor in the icewind dale trilogy, about 30 years later).

[ 10-18-2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 10-23-2002, 01:09 AM   #8
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

thx guys. I'll proably pick it up as soon as i can afford and find it(college student) Ifinity engine games are some of the few good games that play on my laptop(stupid gpu)