Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2001, 01:15 AM   #1
Icewind-Newbie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi all i'm kinda confused with the ways spells work in icewind dale. I have a mage and a cleric in my party.
If i'm not wrong mage learn spells by writing spells into the spellbook from scrolls and cleric learn some default spells as she increases in level. Am i correct?

I went to the temple in Kuldahar and i bought a cure light wound scroll. I wanted to write this spell into my mage's spellbk but it seems impossible. Why is it so? Can my cleric write spells from scrolls just like a mage?

I have quite a variety of gems but i can't seem to do anything with them. What are they used for?

Throughout the game i came across doors that says it is not locked with a conventational lock and may be warded against simple spells. I used my thief to open the lock it shows the above msg. How can i open the door?

I am sorry if these qns sound silly but this is the first time i am playing a D&D game. Many thanks for your replies.
Icewind-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 01:37 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Dear Icewind Newbie,

First of all, welcome to the forum! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now then, to your questions:

The priest scrolls can only be cast as a "one-shot" thing. Mages cannot learn spells from priest scrolls, and neither can priests. You can purchase Mage spells, however, from Orrick (the tower at the far left side of the Kuldahar map). Also check all treasure chests and caches you find while traveling...they hold several of those spells, too.

Gems are for selling. Raise extra cash for those spells (and weapons, etc.)

Those doors that can't be opened with a conventional lock will need a key to open them, or possibly a lever pulled, or something like that. During your adventures, you will be finding these keys. Make sure to hold onto them until you are positive you have no further use for them. You can sell them to the shopkeeper in Kuldahar then.

I understand fully. It took me a while to get used to this system, too. Your game manual is a great reference, but this forum and others here at Ironworks is even better!

Hope you enjoy Icewind Dale! It's a fun game.

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 03:01 AM   #3
Midget Gems

Firstly welcome to Ironworks. What Sazerac said is correct and it can be quite handy while your mage is learning spells your cleric gets them for free. So you don't have to go down the shop and buy them.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:36 PM   #4
moocow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also be aware that there is a percentage (depending on the intelligence of your mage) that he fails to record the spell to his spellbook. Considering that mage scrolls are relatively scarce in IWD, you may want to make sure that you save the game before you attempt to write any mage scroll to your spellbook...since the scroll is consumed (disappears) whether you are successful writing to it or not.
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 05:15 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Drink a potion of genius before memorising any spells. Save a bunch of scrolls and do them all at once. Need any more help this is a great place to ask!