Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Marathon
Elminster

Hey - this is a repeat post (somewhat) from General Discussion - I have a work laptop that I'd like to run Wiz8 on when traveling. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card in it. I can load W8, and create a party, but once I start the game it crashed. Wouldn't even load MM7 or Arcanum. would this be a graphics problem? When I loaded MM7, everything checked out in the compatibility grid (I think it checked for HD space, direct X version, processing power...). Please try to save me from hotel room tv...
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Standard questions:

1) Have you checked the Common Problems / Reported Issues page?

2) What version of Wiz8 do you have? (either the CDs will have "v1.2.4" printed on them, or you have v1.0).

3) If you have v1.0, have you applied to v1.2.4 patch (also known as the 12_24 patch)?

4) What OS? Is it patched with the latest updates?

5) What settings did you select in the Wiz8 set up? (would be helpful if you could paste a copy of the 3DVIDEO.CFG file located where you installed Wiz8).

6) Have you checked that you've got the latest drivers for your PC, video and sound cards?

7) If you're using DirectX, what version do you have installed? (To determine what version you have, there should be a link to DxDiag located in the C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ directory or located in C:\Windows\System32 for WinXP).

8) Have you tried using both Open-GL and DirectX, do you get the same result with both?

9) Do you get any sort of error message, or any other detail you can provide which might be of help?

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Additional comments:

Being laptop, it's highly likely you're using the on-board sound card, is it a sound blaster compatible or not? Just for experimentation, configure Wiz8 (3DSETUP) with a sound card of "none", then see if you get the same result.

Secondly, if using DirectX, try using the "DirectX6" option instead of "DirectX7" (note, you're probably got DirectX9 installed, that's ok, we're talking command sets here). It might seem a bit weird going backwards, but for what Wiz8 using 3D cards for, there's no visual difference between DX6 and DX7 commands.

Try all this and reply with the results.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Marathon, would like to hear back from you, even if you've resolved your problem, would be nice to know that.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
Marathon
Elminster

Hey Wolfie - unfortunately, I didn't get it solved before having to leave. However, here is the information I have:

Version is 1.2.4, OS is Win2000. I updated my video driver, as that seemed to be the main culprit according to the Wiz8 page. DirectX version 9. Haven't tried going backwards yet, and am not sure how to...

I really didn't have much time before leaving, but did get Fallout2 loaded and working. Never played it before and had some fun with it. I'll go through some more troubleshooting this coming weekend and reply with some results.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote