Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
bakrus
The Magister

the thing is that i`m now in hell someplace at the ice prison where the knower of names are imprisoned. i have killed the guardian and are now trying too free the prisoner. but how?
i tried to use that hand to move the only catapult working over to the prison area but it doesn`t happen anything... and i can`t even go back too get parts or whatever i`m supposed to do....

so how do i free the knower of names, so that i can get out of this hell hole??
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Marathon
Elminster

You need to transform yourself into something big enough to throw the catapult across the chasm, then you can use it on the prison doors.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

If you got to the ice prison, then you had to beat down a wall of ice at some point along the way to get there. A being large and strong enough to do that could most likely also hurl the catapault across the chasm, if you are in the area I am thinking (where you need to free the knower of names from her icy prison).
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:56 AM   #4
bakrus
The Magister

a wall of ice??? .... the only wall i went through before i got to the ice prison, was a demon who runned it down( there was a movie sequence and all...) and then i was in the middle of a war between some demons and some other creatures..so when everyone was finally dead.. i jumped over too the prison area..

the thing is: if i`m not big and strong (like a halfling bard, and don`t have any spells at all) i wont get past this place?...

do i need some kind of special skills to have the ability to complete this?.... hmm what a mess..

well i should give it one more try i think..
Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think you have a solution in your inventory. Read a few of the descriptions of things that you are carrying, and you may find the answer.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
bakrus
The Magister

hmm i think i`ve tried good enough to find something but i haven`t.

but yesterday i exported my char to begin all over again with HoA after i reinstalled the game.. so last night i defeated the valsharess and went to hell. so i shall try to get to the ice prison once again, and see if things work out fine this time..

but i tried too ally myself with the valsharess by having the drow cloak and by proving my self by open the doors for her horde. but the gate exploded before i could do anything.. she got mad and then i got cursed.

but my point is what happens if i actually did help her and the army to take over the lith myathar town ( or whatever the name was)???
if i`m on her side, will mephistopheles(?) kill me then?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I haven't tried to play through allied with the Valsharess, but I suspect that, yes, Mephistopheles will somehow end up killing you and sending you to hell again. Getting the Valsharess killed and getting out of her control was his original plan, which is why the main character had the ring. He had that loophole with the main character being an extension of himself, so I would guess the game would force (dialogue) choices that put you in some kind of conflict with him and/or the Valsharess again, letting Mephistopheles slip the Valsharess's control and then kill both her and the main character, returning the game to the Hell tract once again.

By the way, when I was answering your question about how to get the catapult to a place you could use it to free the knower of names, I was trying not to spell it out in the form of an outright spoiler. It took me a while to figure it out too.

SPOILER Solution below:
By the time you are in the ice prison area where the knower of names is imprisoned, you should have the ability to transform into a being strong enough to throw the catapult to where it needs to be. The wall of ice I mentioned previusly occurs earlier in the path from that level of hell to finging the knower of names. You have to transform into a large golem of some kind to break down a wall of ice blocking a passage to progress further. There is no other way to get past that point that I know of, so you should be able to take the form of the large golem. Roberthebard's post gives you a clue to how to accomplish the transformation. You should have an amulet that lets you select three different forms to transform into.

[ 03-09-2006, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Witchdoctor ]
Old 03-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Half the fun of these games is figuring out what you need to do, and I didn't want to spoil it completely. Good thing too, because I thought it was a ring. er, can't tell I don't mess with the single player campaigns much, eh. I've played them all at least once, to get a feel for the new content, but other than that, I'm online gaming, if at all.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Half the fun of these games is figuring out what you need to do, and I didn't want to spoil it completely. Good thing too, because I thought it was a ring. er, can't tell I don't mess with the single player campaigns much, eh. I've played them all at least once, to get a feel for the new content, but other than that, I'm online gaming, if at all.
Yeah, it can be difficult sometimes to know just how much to say when answering a question like this. I assume most people don't want to be completely spoiled for the thing, so I try and give a clue to get them thinking about the problem or puzzle the right way. There are several detailed walk throughs available on the net or via some googling if you want the complete details.

I checked and it is an amulet, but it isn't a golem, but an elemental that you can turn into.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:54 AM   #10
bakrus
The Magister

well i got to the prison again yesterday with the new game and on the journey i found out that it`s was the sensei`s amulet i had to use..( how did i forget???)
the reason i didn`t remember must have been that i hadn`t played with that character for about a year or so..=(

but know i have freed the knower of names and are about to tell the sleeping man about the news=)

thank you all for the help and interresst you guys have put in this=) and especially for not revealing to much about how to solve this.=)