Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 02:29 AM   #1
Mike Johnson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have already played a game thru and am starting a new one. I am trying a Kensai and he seems dam good to begin with. I am only going to have 4 characters so to gain as much exps as possible (especially for Edwin) and none of them are thieves.

questions I am looking for input on (some spoiler):

1. Is there any way to remove traps besides using a thief?

2. When I gain special ability to become Slayer will I loose my Kai special ability. I am also worried about not being able to get my AC down low.

3. Kensai vs. plain Fighter class? AC vs. Sword skill?

I could start the game as a thief and imediately dual as a Fighter therefore be able to Grandmaster, use armor and remove traps.

input/experience appreciated...
Old 04-04-2001, 03:54 AM   #2
Lord Shield

There are plenty of ways to FIND traps, but not for REMOVEing them. Find Traps spell, Monks and some Familiars can Find traps. A dualled thief could do here

Old 04-04-2001, 03:54 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Might be a spoiler here!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Havenīt played that far with a Kensai, I can only tell you that I have lost all my special abilities (except thoose stoolen) when I transform into the slayer.

OK
1. Nope, unless you have a staff of resurection and alot of healing..
2. see above..
3. Hmm, tough one, I love a good bow, though in this freaking game the plus from the bow isnīt transfered correctly, in the rules the magic weapons magic +īs are also included to the ammunition fired.. so well only a +2 isnīt going to do the trick. Swords arre good, but I donīt think that a Kensai isTHAT much better tha a generic fighter afterall, the fighters abilities to use armours and all kinds of weapon nd alot of magic stuff ya know..
To duel is a good thought, try to make a thief with as much skill as possible on locks/sneak/move silently/hide/
Skip the pick pocket.. Ypu get enough nice items and gold as it is... IMHO

I had great fun and xcess with my assasin/fighter girly I played through the game with. She (OK XP cap removed!) finished as a lvl 8 assasin lvl 24 fighter, damn but thoose XPīs comes flying at the end!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 04-04-2001, 03:56 AM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

1. Unfortunately, no, and you miss out on the Exp you get from picking locks/disarming traps. However, there is a priest spell that allows you to see traps, but it does'nt allow you to do anything and many traps are laid across areas that you HAVE to cross anyway.
2. No. YOu should have labeled this a spoiler if you were going to mention the Slayer, btw. The Kai ability will still return, and your AC will be low enough with 25 Dex
3. It depends on what you prefer. The Kensai requires some forethought and finesse to play, because of his inability to wear armor or braces. However, you can pile rings and cloaks onto him and this might serve to take the AC down. His ability with Weapons is unmatched. He gets much more bonuses to hit and to damage and to his speed factor etc than a regular figher, and kills much much faster. A fighter is as subtle as a tank. Just point him in the right direction and watch the blood stain the floor. Personally I believe the Kensai is more interesting
And don't start as a thief! Do it the other way around. Start as a fighter, get your grandmastery and high hitpoints, THEN dual to a thief. This is because your Thief skills will keep improving, and Thieves gain levels faster than fighters, allowing you to regain the fighter abilities earlier.
Try an Elf Kensai Thief if you like. Raise the Kensai to level 9, then dual to a thief. Great backstabs, and the Kensai will benefit from the Thief's high dexterity (you can get it to 19 with an Elf)

------------------
Why?
Old 04-04-2001, 04:28 AM   #5
merc widowmaker
Dungeon Master

ERR Elf duel class ? I dont think so !

------------------

Nobody tells me what to do, not even me !
Old 04-04-2001, 08:46 AM   #6
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Oh yeah! Baaaah slipped my mind. Sorry for any confusion mates..

------------------
Why?
Old 04-04-2001, 09:58 AM   #7
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

Only humans can duel class. but what if u use Shadow Keeper, could you chanfe it and not be bugged?

------------------

I am Demoquin, Agent from Hell
Old 04-04-2001, 11:04 AM   #8
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

I started off as a Kensai. Right at the beginning i duel classed to Thief. And my armor class is like 4. 2 if i am using single weapon. Memorizing spells in the first chapter would really bring up the thief's level quick

------------------

I am Demoquin, Agent from Hell
Old 04-04-2001, 11:27 AM   #9
Lord Shield

A thief can memorise spells? Surely, sirrah, thou meanest a mage

Old 04-04-2001, 07:51 PM   #10
Maestro_v69
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah, but bards can memorize spells, and technically they are Rogues as well.