Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 03:26 AM   #21
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowspecter:
what I meant about "hope for mankind" is that will we really exist long enough to year 2100? We all have to admit...humans are by far the most pathetic things that walked the Earth. I say that there is no hope for mankind because I have no faith. I also highly doubt that humans will reach Pluto...ever...due to how slow technology is developing. Probably another Cold War might help give it a boost and maybe we might even reach Mars.
Ahhh, nothing makes me go all warm and fuzzy like unrepentant youthful nihilism [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

And no, we don't "have to admit that humans are by far the most pathetic things that walked the planet". If you want to think that, then by all means do so. But I'm curious as to why you've come to that conclusion? What is it about the people around you, and the images you see of the world itself, that makes you think so disdainfully of your own species? Is this something you have thought alot about? Or are you merely parroting the words of your favourite heavy metal musicians? Nothing wrong with that of course, but I need to know whether you are a genuine thinker or not if we are to get anywhere with further philosophising [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and I would say that technology is developing at break-neck speed! We may not reach Mars in your lifetime, but in all honesty your lifetime isn't all that important. The important thing is that it CAN be done, and so long as political, environmental and economic forces can be sufficiently balanced, our species WILL achieve any goal it collectively sets.

Before we go any further though, I suggest you remove any notion of self-importance that you may have. Forget your immediate needs or wants, forget any ideas of how you think the world should be, and try your hardest to see the world as it is. Truth doesn't actually exist, you will never actually see the 'real' world, but trying to see it is a good way to align your mind and get rid of any egocentric confusion you might have...
Old 03-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #22
shadowspecter
The Magister

*sigh*...wait...let me check the dictionary....

Right.... I wouldn't really be a nihilist…I don’t want the destruction of mankind and I do have loyalties to those I do respect and those who respect me. Hierophant, I respect what you are asking me since it is making me think. You asked me why I don’t like humankind that much…well maybe it’s not all about humans, but life. Life is quite boring, I don’t mean boring as there is nothing to do, but boring as it’s very simple. Everyone wears the same style of clothes in certain communities. They all have somewhat the same personality and they always follow what goes with the flow. Barely anyone in this public, in front of school or businesses acts like how they are in front of their parents. They all act differently so that they can be popular. People are quick to judge whether you are good/smart or bad/stupid just by looking at what you wear. My inspiration of my philosophy is not inspired only by the music I hear, but also what I learn at I grow older. Do you really think humans will reach Mars…the environment here is pretty bad. With all the pollution, global warming, idiotic politician like Bush. Maybe I’m just not as wise and smart yet due to the fact I’m only 16, maybe I’m still blinded by the truth and my stubborn opinion is just blocking it or am I just a problem teenager that’s going through this dumb phase in life.

Let me ask everyone here…are you inspired by religion such as God created everything and set things in motion OR do you believe in science, that the universe was created by the Big Bang and that humans were once tiny organisms that morphed to adapt its surroundings? Look, I use to be a Christian, but a lot of questions formed in my mind if God truly exist or not. Was there any proof that God existed? Does anyone ever wonder how the Bible ever came to exist? Is there is even Heaven or Hell? If God still exist, why doesn’t he talk to his people. In the Bible it says He talked to his people and that during that time, it was a time of miracles. Like Jesus healing the blind, Moses staff turned into a snake, Goliath and David. I just find it hard to believe that those things ever existed.
“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” <br />-Mark Twain<br /><br />“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?” <br />-Scott Adams
Old 03-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #23
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Of course there's Hope. I remember Hope Bradey from Days of Our Lives, don't you? She was a hottie. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
LOL, that she was. I remember Days of Our Lives well. Marlena as the devil had me in absolute hysterics - she had bright white eyes and the deepest voice ever. That show was just too much [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #24
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Our world is like the Matrix IMHO. We are not free. We are trapped in this system of rules. What kind of rules? Rules like behavior,freedom of speech etc. No one can do what he wants. Why? Becuase the society put rules into our lives and our parents inforce those rules into us. So we aren`t free and therfore I see no hope for mankind. We live in boxes. Do that or else sanctions will follow.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #25
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Quote:

Let me ask everyone here…are you inspired by religion such as God created everything and set things in motion OR do you believe in science, that the universe was created by the Big Bang and that humans were once tiny organisms that morphed to adapt its surroundings? Look, I use to be a Christian, but a lot of questions formed in my mind if God truly exist or not. Was there any proof that God existed? Does anyone ever wonder how the Bible ever came to exist? Is there is even Heaven or Hell? If God still exist, why doesn’t he talk to his people. In the Bible it says He talked to his people and that during that time, it was a time of miracles. Like Jesus healing the blind, Moses staff turned into a snake, Goliath and David. I just find it hard to believe that those things ever existed.
I could be mistaken but your last paragraph is relatively unanswerable due to a ban on religious discussion in these forums. I'm pretty sure that is the case at least at the moment. This is largely due to the inability of many people to discuss things in an objective manner. I have to admit I'm typically one of those people. If I'm wrong about this someone correct me purty please [img]smile.gif[/img]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 03-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #26
Animal
Gold Dragon

Ask anyone who plays the lottery.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:57 AM   #27
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Yes there is hope,
There are people like you everywhere including where it counts to make the changes needed, think about how far we have come in such a short time. As an example we are destroying nuclear weapons and the war in Iraq was based onthe search of weapons of mass destruction (i'll overlook the other reasons for the purpose of argument).
Basically what i mean is that mankind is trying to get there, there is still a long way to go but there is a possibility, so yes in my opinion there is hope.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #28
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
the war in Iraq was based onthe search of weapons of mass destruction (i'll overlook the other reasons for the purpose of argument).
And therein lies a huge mistake. If you "overlook the other reasons" then you deliberately blind yourself to parts of the world that you wish wern't there. Just because you can't cope with something doesn't mean you can wish it away. If you continue down this path of 'overlooking' then you doom yourself to make the same mistakes over and over again.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #29
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:

Right.... I wouldn't really be a nihilist…I don’t want the destruction of mankind and I do have loyalties to those I do respect and those who respect me. Hierophant, I respect what you are asking me since it is making me think. You asked me why I don’t like humankind that much…well maybe it’s not all about humans, but life. Life is quite boring, I don’t mean boring as there is nothing to do, but boring as it’s very simple. Everyone wears the same style of clothes in certain communities. They all have somewhat the same personality and they always follow what goes with the flow. Barely anyone in this public, in front of school or businesses acts like how they are in front of their parents. They all act differently so that they can be popular. People are quick to judge whether you are good/smart or bad/stupid just by looking at what you wear. My inspiration of my philosophy is not inspired only by the music I hear, but also what I learn at I grow older. Do you really think humans will reach Mars…the environment here is pretty bad. With all the pollution, global warming, idiotic politician like Bush. Maybe I’m just not as wise and smart yet due to the fact I’m only 16, maybe I’m still blinded by the truth and my stubborn opinion is just blocking it or am I just a problem teenager that’s going through this dumb phase in life.
It's all a matter of perspective, shadowspecter. If you choose to view the World as boring and generally a crappy place, then there's plenty of things around to support that view. The opposite is also true, if you choose a more positive perspective you'll see it's not all doom and gloom. Whatever your beliefs are, choosing to view the World as hell on Earth will do you no good at all.

Besides, why wouldn't we be able to reach Mars? Even the most pessimistic sceptics think we may be able to land there within the next few decades.
Quote:

Unfortunately there's a ban on any religious discussion, so I can't discuss these matters with you.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:56 PM   #30
Encard
Quintesson

Well, let's see... A few responses to you, Shadowspecter.

First off... I've got to disagree with your description of life. Everyone wears the same style of clothes in certain communities, has the same personality, goes with the flow, and spends their time trying to be popular? Sorry, but my own experience has been more or less nothing like that.

I can't remember knowing anyone who's actively tried to conform to some sort of "cool" dress code, possibly because we don't really have one around here. You see quite a few different things, and comments on it, at least that I've ever heard, are rather rare.

People having the same personality? Sure, in the way that everything is kind of similar. I mean, at a basic level, a person and an amoeba and a brick are all made of atoms... But saying they're the same seems quite a bit farfetched to me. Although some people are similar, most that I've known are pretty distinct.

And of course, popularity... I don't know, maybe my school's just odd, but we don't seem all that popularity-driven. I mean, people have friends and all that, so we're not just a bunch of angry loners, but since I assume you mean popularity in the clique-ish sense... Nope, I can't honestly say I've seen it.

Now, I'm sure all of what you said is the case in some places... But all over? No, certainly not. The world's not that badly off. I don't see why there can't be hope for humanity to reach Mars, since that's the example you've been using. In our lifetime, even. Yes, we might not, but technology is advancing, and I think that overall we're making some progress. Everything's not perfect, and it's never going to be, but is there hope that it'll get better? Yes, I'd say there is.

I can't answer the religious section of your post due to the ban on religious topics that apprently exists, sorry.

Also, Bush is cool, darn you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 03-15-2004, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Encard ]