Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 10:22 AM   #11
Arvon
Unicorn

Absolutely not!!!! First off there have been only a few deaths from it, less than 3000 so far. In a MILD flu year over a quarter of million people die from the flu. An how many more are ill from the flu. While not to down play the seriousness of SARS, the press has once again over done the reporting and scared hell out of the people.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-03-2003, 10:31 AM   #12
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
posted by bahamut:
-----------------------------
it is just a matter of luck and judgemental capabilities on where to go, hang-out, etc.
it would be pretty dangerous for sars to spread here in the philippines, there is such an overcrowded population here in manila.. i dont think knowing where to go can help much (except of course if your going straight to a sars infected places which is know makes you plain stupid unless you have urgent priorities and responsibilities there.. etc etc) .. about luck.. well i hope i have some of that too bahamut..

ps: if some of you dont know where philippines is.. just think its only 1hr or 2 (less actually) to get to hongkong or taiwan by plain .. so its pretty near.

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-03-2003, 12:54 PM   #13
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I was, But i'm not now. 6 cases in britain - 0 deaths. The Death ration isn't as bad somethings. I'm more scared of being killed by some drunk guy actually [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #14
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
I was, But i'm not now. 6 cases in britain - 0 deaths. The Death ration isn't as bad somethings. I'm more scared of being killed by some drunk guy actually [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Don't worry, Johnny's harmless [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #15
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

I think it was last saturday or maybe sunday I saw a show on MSNBC about the various epidemics in the past several hundred years.

It was quite interesting even though I didn't see the whole show.

They of course talked about the Bubonic plague, Small pox, flu, SARS, etc...

What really shocked me was the fact that the Bubonic plague, aka Black death, still occurs in the U.S. and elsewhere around the World, to the tune of several hundred - either cases or deaths (unsure) per year!

During the show they talked about how the former Soviet Union had an extensive Bio-program in which, by the accounts of some of their former scientists, the USSR developed viruses/bugs/diseases that ARE NOT cureable!

And they also specifically engineered some so that they would MUTATE themselves, similiar to what SARS is doing now.

So anyways, near the end of the show they pretty much elluded to the conspiracy theory that terrorists some how (maybe) unleashed SARS. Although I have heard evidence to the contrary.

And if they weren't responsible for SARS they may see BIO-terror as one of the most effective forms for killing and most of all scaring innocent people.

Now this is of course, primarily speculative, but it is still undoubtebly plausable and alarming!
Old 05-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #16
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I am scared. I live in Slovenia wich is just East of Italy and there are suspicions that SARS in there...
Old 05-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #17
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I guess I am, but I don't dwell on it. I think the more you worry about something, the more likely it will happen so I don't. Besides, I'm more concerned about what will happen to my pets, friends, and family than what will happen to myself.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:08 PM   #18
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

No, SARS is over rated due to media blowing the disease out of proportion. If you look back over the out breaks over the past century SARS is small potatoes. Look up the Spanish Influenza.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #19
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
No, SARS is over rated due to media blowing the disease out of proportion. If you look back over the out breaks over the past century SARS is small potatoes. Look up the Spanish Influenza.
Actually I think both you and Arvon are wrong. This is a NEW disease and should be alerted in the media. The flu is a reoccurring disease, one every year, and is known to most people. Indeed society´s elders are encouraged to come in for a vaccination before the flu arrives. We know what it is and what it does. That is not true about SARS. Imagine what would have happened if AIDS had got the prime-time SARS has had. It took us 15 years to spread information about AIDS. This way is IMO better. The media getting the facts wrong is of course nothing new.

Edit: And we can actually predict the severity of the new flu. With better accuracy than the weather too.

[ 05-03-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 05-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #20
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I am no more scared than I am to get a cold or the flu (actually I'm more scared of getting the flu than a cold because it lays you up for longer - I can soldier on with a cold). I think there has been only one 'probable' case in Australia, at least in my state, but even so I don't fear getting SARS in particular because it might be *worse* than anything else. Getting sick at all would be really inconvenient for me right now so I'm not planning to at all until October at the earliest