Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 09:29 PM   #1
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
..Is what they are calling "the war"

I think the name fits quite well. Reminds me of Minsc..

"BOO! TIME TO UNLEASH SOME INFINTE JUSTICE ON EVIL!!!"

Hehehe...

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
Old 09-19-2001, 09:32 PM   #2
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

That's what I heard they're calling it. Fits well I think.

-Jafin

------------------

Proud Citizen of the United States of America
The Original Arch-Mage of the HADB
Destroyer of the evil Bunnies
Proprietor of the Boogre Bar
Old 09-19-2001, 09:43 PM   #3
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

For better or worse, it has begun.

Quote:
Taken from Freeserve news:
American fighter planes and bombers were tonight being sent to the Gulf in the first indication of imminent action against Afghanistan.

F15 and F16 fighters - among the most advanced in the world - and B52 bombers, which can carry cruise missiles, were ordered to the region by the Pentagon as part of what is now being called Operation Infinite Justice.

The first of the aircraft will move tomorrow, to arrive at the bases in Saudi Arabia operated by the American air force since the Gulf War.

The move puts them within striking distance of Afghanistan, where the Taliban regime offers shelter to Osama bin laden, the suspected mastermind behind the attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Centre.

The planes will be supported by back-up aircraft including AWACS reconnaissance planes and tankers to keep them in the air.

They will join an already formidable force in the Indian Ocean, where two aircraft carriers with a total of 150 navy aircraft are deployed.

No troops are believed to have been mobilised along with the aircraft, although last week the National Guard was mobilised and 35,000 reservists called up.

The carriers may be joined by the USS Theodore Roosevelt, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier which is one of the biggest in the world, and which has departed Virginia for the Mediterranean.

Once in the Mediterranean, it will only need to steam through the Suez Canal to put its squadron within striking distance of Afghan territory.
------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-19-2001, 11:57 PM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

That's what it gonna be. If you asked me, the President and his advisors just made their first mistake. Let's hope they will not make the second and third (position armed forces in Pakistan and indiscriminantly bomb the **** out of Afghanistan).

They should have went for covert ops.

Edit: I say mistake because, so far, they've been looking at it from a simple military operation point of view. This is terrorism, not Axis and Allies. They have to think out of the box and unless this deployment is hidding something unexpected, they are not. Well, I guess we'll know soon enough if it was a mistake.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 09-20-2001).]
Old 09-20-2001, 12:14 AM   #5
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:

They should have went for covert ops.

What makes you so sure they haven't? Do you really think that the government is going to tell the media everything? I for one HOPE NOT! Anything in the news is open season for everyone around the world, including Afghanistan! Talk about not being able to keep secrets, just say it to the media! LOL
It's a mistake for Americans to be upset that they don't know everything the moment it's happening!

It's already been said by the government that this will be a secretive war fought outside of the media.

Thank God! I don't need to know anything until it's happened unless I'm in the military!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 09-20-2001, 01:40 AM   #6
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
What makes you so sure they haven't? Do you really think that the government is going to tell the media everything? I for one HOPE NOT! Anything in the news is open season for everyone around the world, including Afghanistan! Talk about not being able to keep secrets, just say it to the media! LOL
It's a mistake for Americans to be upset that they don't know everything the moment it's happening!

It's already been said by the government that this will be a secretive war fought outside of the media.

Thank God! I don't need to know anything until it's happened unless I'm in the military!

Great Point Lilara..

Bin Laden is watching, everyone knows it. I would rather NOT know then have him know..

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:54 AM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:

Point conceaded

But it's still a mistake to send planes to the Middle East. Thing his, fundamentalists consider Saudi Arabia as sacred land which should not be soiled by foreing (non-muslim) troop. This will only inflame more anti-American sentiment in the reagion.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?
Old 09-20-2001, 03:11 AM   #8
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
Point conceaded

But it's still a mistake to send planes to the Middle East. Thing his, fundamentalists consider Saudi Arabia as sacred land which should not be soiled by foreing (non-muslim) troop. This will only inflame more anti-American sentiment in the reagion.

I don't think it is possible to make those who would be offended more hateful of America and non-muslim groups than they already are. After all, the so called government of those we are speaking of constantly bombard their followers with propaganda. Remember, they aren't allowed to even have T.V.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 09-21-2001, 08:57 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
..Is what they are calling "the war"

I think the name fits quite well. Reminds me of Minsc..

"BOO! TIME TO UNLEASH SOME INFINTE JUSTICE ON EVIL!!!"

Hehehe...

I'm afraid some plonker in the Pentagon or the White House obviously didn't give the name of the operation enough thought. Muslims believe that only Allah can mete out infinite justice and the name has upset some of the Muslim countries that have given their support to the coalition.

I think it will be changed.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!

[This message has been edited by Donut (edited 09-21-2001).]
Old 09-21-2001, 09:19 AM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

I think it's fine if they want to name these actions, I just think they should keep it to themselves. I do think these names are melodramatic and sound silly to me. I find CNN title "The New War" just a little silly and overblown. Why do we need a name for our actions? It just gives our adversaries something to repeat and laugh at.

Mark