Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Mister Natural
Manshoon

Just curious how many folks are into the forgotten realms books. I've just found interest in reading them believe it or not. After playing BG and Icewind Dale on pc I never really knew the story behind Drizzt Do'urden and other members.
So I'm enjoying reading the books. I finished the Icewind Dale trilogy and now working on the Drow Elf trilogy learning about Drizzt growing up and such. It's giving me a new desire to replay all the forgotten realms pc games again.

I'm debating on what to read next after I finish this series. I know there is another writer who writes the Elminster mage series. Should I look at that, or stick with the Salvatore books?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I finished the dark elf trilogy,and I'm now working on IceWindDale Trilogy. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Get some other books too! Elmister books are cool too dude!
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I did the exact same thing as you I got interested in Drizzt because of Baldur's Gate 2 and am currently reading the Icewind Dale Trilogy "The Halflings Gem". Haven't read it much lately though just got an Xbox you see so I'm too busy playing Serious Sam, Max Payne and Halo etc .
Old 01-23-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Darkman

Well if you like Drizzt and Co., there are pleanty of other Drizzt books out there that continue the series. They're all pretty solid, but not as good as the first two Trilogies in my opinion. Also, I would recommend you check out some other Forgetten Realms books by Salvatore like The Cleric Quintet. Have fun!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

personally I would say avoid the elminster books like the plague (see the "worst books ever" thread for more information) Elayne Cunningham has some great books on elves (the Isle of evermeet series) and has written several drow books, daughter of the drow etc, troy denning is good too. I recommend the Realms of infamy book, and Realms of Magic to get a taste of other characters (Jander sunstar Elven Vampire is in the realms of infamy book I've loved him since i read vampire of the mists)

the two books also have some short stories by salvatore for information on how Guenhwyvar (sp?) was created, and how artemis entreri got his start. also recomendable as they are story compilations from many writers and give a good idea of how they write. (another reason I avoid greenwood were his contributions to these books)
Old 01-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Mister Natural
Manshoon

Thanks much on the comeback. I did read "The Worst" thread and I can agree with the believability factor to be something definitely of importance.
I kinda wish I didn't have all kinds of pc games waiting to be finished right now. I'd like to go back to BG and Icewind dale.
The only one I ever completely finished was BG1.