Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 08:16 AM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok so I installed windows and as some of you probably know I probably had a corrupt instillation so I was advised to start from scratch. so anyway, I fired up Partition Magic 8.0 and formatted all partitions and also changed them all to NFTS, PM runs before startup, so after doing that I just restarted my computer and everything was formatted no problems, I then stuck my Win XP Dell disk image (Ok so it was from another computer but I cant justify a new copy of XP just for one install) major problem! It says invalid system disk, please instert disk and press any key, I tried pressing anykey (the disk was already in) but nothing happened! I tried restarting and the same thing happened, I then tried inserting my win 98 disk in and the same thing happened! So what the hell am I supposed to do? Is there a simple fix?Changing something in BIOS or something?

If not I have some more information. I have some win98 boot disks, so I stuck one of them in, that seemed to work and it asked me if I wanted cd rom support or no cd rom support, I have tried both. It tells you all this stuff about your computer and goes through this approx. 2minute process saying please wait while ..... Then you get to this screen where it just says A:\> Now I thought this would be my chance and so stuck my winxp disk in and typed F:\boot, that didnt work so I tried F:\Setup, F:\Run and a few other things that sprung to mind, none of them worked. So what do I do?

Thanks for any help

Ross
Old 05-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

You need to change the boot sequence in BIOS. Since failing to boot from a non-bootable CD can take about a minute, it is normaly only set to boot from CD when needed.

As for the win98 boot floppy, forget it. It should have put your CDROM somewhere, possibly under another letter. The winXP setup program is, IIRC, under the i386 folder, you should be able to use the dir command to find it. but it dosent matter, because M$ in their infinite wisdom made the installer a - get this - Windows Executable. Yes, you heard right, a windows installer that can only be run under windows. The winXP boot CD can provide that, the winXP boot floppies (a set of 6) can provide that, but your win98 boot floppies cannot. I can dig out the link to the winXP boot floppies if you cant get the CD working, let me know.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok, so how do I change the boot sequence? God sake, someone should sue! That is so stupid!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Took a look around in my BIOS and couldnt find anything to change the boot sequence.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok found it, and changed it, cheers man, it worked! So after I have installed xp do I just switch it back aye?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #6
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

I wouldn't switch it back. Set it to Floppy, CD Rom, Hard Drive by default in every comp I get myself. It should be that way from the beginnig under my opinion.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Animal
Gold Dragon

A Dell image disk on a non-Dell PC? That may be the majority of problems right there. XP may just be loading drivers for hardware that isn't there.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
A Dell image disk on a non-Dell PC? That may be the majority of problems right there. XP may just be loading drivers for hardware that isn't there.
That is what I have heard of happening.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Is this not exactly what we discussed the last time this Dell Win/XP cd came up.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:59 AM   #10
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

well I havent had a chance to go on the net yet but we'l see what happens. Also there is a DELL folder created. What should I do? Is there a work around for this, and will it affect the way my computer runs?