Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Mad

1) I have a Book of Lightnight and a Book of Servants, but I can't figure out how to use or learn those spells. How do I use those? Do they allow me to learn the spells? Do I have to be a certain level?

2) I am warned not to travel at night west of Oshad N'ha because of the dragon, and frankly it sucks walking around in the dark. How can I rest/wait/speed up time to get to daylight?

I've skimmed the online manual for help with these questions, but to no avail.

TIA for any help...
BRO,JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
jsalsb
Elminster

Book of Lightning - If you have the skill set required and the level needed, it will offer you an "invoke" button when you right-click on it in your inventory

Book of the Servant isn't a spell book, but a quest item - read it (right-click)

Trave;lling at night - yeah, no one likes that. Try pumping up your gama, either in the W&W options, or in windows control pane;l. There's no sleep option. You can go to a safe spot and leave your game running for an hour...

(I have to keep reeditiong my post to add ":L"'s that I've missed. O! - that's "LOL!" with the L's missing!)

[ 11-06-2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: jsalsb ]
Old 11-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

The book of servants provides you the answers you need to get further in the Serpent Temple - nothing more. It doesn't teach you a spell.
If, when you examine the Book of Lightening, your character is capable of learning that spell - well it should be fairly obvious. I'll have to look up what class/level you need to be to qualify or someone else may come along with the answer before I have a chance to find it. There may be something in the Best Tips thread.

There is no way to speed up time nor any way to "rest". Try casting Illumination and/or spend the night time hours doing a dungeon. I personally like the fact that my characters didn't need to rest up in an inn - in games that do require that I'm always looking for a way to get around it. Just a personal preference.

Erathsmedor isn't that bad - it's the Salads you need to look out for when you first venture west of Ishad N'ha. They are best handled during the day.

Wyv

[ 11-06-2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:

Trave;lling at night - yeah, no one likes that.
I liked it! Granted I did adjust my gamma a bit so that it wasn't so dark that I couldn't see "anything" but I really enjoyed adventuring at night. It was particularly neat when some monster would suddenly appear - very exciting!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
jsalsb
Elminster

Okay... it's not *that* bad (insert grumpy yet embarrassed imodicon here). Does the game intentionally time it out that the first time you leave the west gate of Ishad Na it's always night? It's always like that for me - and yes the drama of a Midnight Salad Bar is quite intense!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Right-clicking on any item in the inventory will bring up the an invoke icon if the item is invokable.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #7
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
Does the game intentionally time it out that the first time you leave the west gate of Ishad Na it's always night?
Game always starts in the wee hours of the morning -- Gareth wakes you up, remember?

Lightning is 5th Level Stone, a school native only to Wizards, Valkyries, and Zenmasters. To invoke the book, you need to be 5th level in both Stone and your role -- a Warlock that was a Wizard can do this too, with the same criteria.

As far as killing time goes, you can alternate between Real Time and Turn Based in the Configuration panel, making the days longer and the nights shorter (or the reverse, if you're a Vampire & want those bonuses for longer).
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
Game always starts in the wee hours of the morning -- Gareth wakes you up, remember?
Yea.... in Valarei..... no.... I seemed to have forgotten the name of the first town..... anyways..... but in Ishad Na I think there isn't anything that affects the day or night.... but I always get the night time slad fight as well too...... interesting.....
Old 11-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by So So:
but I always get the night time slad fight as well too
It could just be that you tend to take a certain amount of time -- say, two days -- to do the Crypt, its surrouding areas, and the Snake Temple. I know if you skip either or both of these and go straight through, you'll run into the salads in the daytime...
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:34 AM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I know I had at least one night time Salad fight - which probably was my first encounter with them. Judging on how quickly we all died I decided we probably weren't ready to go west just yet and spent additional time doing in monsters in the east. There after all my west gate encounters with the Salads were during the day. Though they don't spawn as often as other monsters I've had a few show up unexpectedly and most of those were daylight encounters. They remain one of my favorite monsters!